Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Birthday, Yogamama!

PadawanPadawan Veteran
edited May 2006 in General Banter
yoda1.jpg

Yoda says: "Your birthday it is. Party you must!"

Many happy returns, YM!!

:birthday: :birthday: :cheer: :cheer: :birthday: :birthday:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Oh Yesssss!!

Happy Happy Birthday to one of the Site's Old New Classic Monuments and National Treasures - !!
    Yay you!! Yay me!! Yay US!!
    :cheer: :birthday: :bowdown: :woowoo: :cheer: :birthday: :bowdown: :woowoo: :cheer: :birthday:
  • edited May 2006
    Happy Birthday !!!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOGAMAMA!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
    I'M SO GLAD YOU DON'T LIVE IN A ZOO,
    YOU HAVE THE HEART OF AN ANGEL,
    AND YOU LOOK LIKE ONE, TOO.

I am wishing you all the peace and joy in the world on this day and every day, Kim.

:bigclap: :cheer: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

All my love,
    Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    Happy birthday. :)
  • edited May 2006
    LOL at your little song, Brigid. :)

Thank you very much everyone. We celebrated over the weekend...my hubby got a WONDERFUL promotion at work, so we had two great reasons to celebrate. I ate tiramisu and it was SOOOOOOO good!

Thanks to all of you for your wishes!

Your friend,
    Kim
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Happy Birthday Yoda.

I just hope I'm not late.

All the best to you and yours on your birthday and every day.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    :cheer:

Look what I miss when I'm offline!

Happy B'Day!
  • edited May 2006
    Happy Birthday! Relax and have the best day you can and all the best wishes!
  • edited May 2006
    Thank you, thank you all!

BF - nope, you didn't miss it. It is today. :) But if I tell you that you DID miss it, will you buy me lots of presents? I want a cat.
    edited May 2006
    My pleasure!

One kitty coming up!

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    HA HA HA! He's cute! I'll take him!

Is that your cat? I actually can picture you doing that to your cat. And I do want one of those hairless cats...those are cool.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Happy Birthday Kim! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Oh, that poor little thing! I'd be mad, too. lol!

Yoga,

Yes, yes, yes! Get a cat! I can't tell you how much our cats have enriched our lives. And when you get really sensitive to them and watch them closely and don't impose your will on them you can really see how they communicate. They do it through eye blinking, their tails, their ears, their paws. It's amazing and endlessly fascinating. I swear I'm so close to my cats that sometimes I really feel like I'm communicating with another human. And we've developed together to a point where we can really understand each other. They're so smart and some of them, especially the males, are so eager to please. A neutered male is usually the best. So many of them need rescue. All our cats came to us, right to our door (or windows) and we live in the middle of nowhere.

The latest one, Pinky (because he's blonde and when the sun hits his fur it looks pink) came to our house and sat on the outside windowsill right at my dad's chair in the kitchen. He was all dirty and scruffy and patchy and had a bad eye and a sinus infection. We brought him to the vet, got him neutered, eventually got his eye operated on and now he's soooo beautiful! He's got the thickest, softest most beautiful coat. He can see perfectly and hardly ever sneezes at all anymore. And he's the most affectionate, accommodating cat I've ever met. He hugs! He's always up for a cuddle. Always. He ingratiated himself so well to the other cats, doing the whole submissive thing, being patient and letting the others get used to him and they finally accepted him and started to clean him and now they sleep curled up in each other's arms. It took months but it was worth every minute. He has brought so much joy to this house it's unbelievable.

We have five cats and we've done right by all of them. We also had three others that lived long, healthy lives and are buried on the property. They are all indoor cats because indoor cats live 50% longer than ones that are allowed to go outside and our cats are so happy. Sometimes Daisy gets out by accident then she sits on the windowsill half an hour later pawing on the window desperate to come in again. They're all clean, beautiful, healthy and wondrous creatures and we love them with all our hearts. They fill this house with so much warmth, serenity and love and even though an allergist told me that coming to live here was potentially life threatening because I have allergic asthma to cats, I haven't had any problems in the four years I've been here. I take my meds and I'm able to make my wildest dreams come true by being able to hold and cuddle our cats. When I was younger I had to avoid them and not pick them up and it was agony. But when I came here I said "Screw it! I'm going to hold and cuddle a cat before I die and that's all there is to it." Modern meds are so much better, too. So I've had no problems.

Oh, my. See what happens when I start talking about cats? lol! I love tiramissu, too! It's totally lush. But I'm having stomach problems and have taken dairy out of my diet so I won't be having any tiramissu any time soon unless it's soy. I'm very lucky because I can get local, totally organic soy milk (I love the vanilla one, too) and honey that's made about three miles from our house for my black tea. If you have any suggestions for dairy substitutes let me know. I miss cheese. Especially melted....

Brigid

P.S. A big congratulations to your husband for his promotion! How wonderful!
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Brigid,

Yes, I love cats too. I have had them my entire life, except for the past 3 years, and I really want another one. Your cats all sound so wonderful, and sweet and cute! I just love having pets. And how sweet that you took "Pinky" into your house and showed him so much love and care. I am sure he just loves you so much for that. I would get a cat from the pound, but I have been calling around and haven't had any luck finding one that is good with kids. So I will keep looking until I find the right one for our family. I'll keep you posted!

If you don't mind, I want to give you a little caution about soy products....I have eaten them for years...soy milk, tofu, soy "chicken", miso soup, soy beans, etc etc....Well, I have been doing some research on soy and it turns out it's just not as good for us as we are led to believe. So my husband and I cut it out of our diets completely three weeks ago. Well, now I am having all sorts of problems. I called my mid-wife, and she has heard of these same symptoms over and over from women who have given up soy. It's like I am going through menopause! She thinks that all of the soy products have really messed with my hormones and thyroid, and I am going to get bloodwork done today. All the symptoms I have been haivng are almsot like I am pregnant again! But I took a test, and I am not pregnant. I am exhausted, weak, dizzy, hotflashes, nauseous, headaches, etc. She thinks that I may have to take thyroid medicine for a bit to see if that helps. And all of this because I was eating something that I thought was really healthy! So, just be careful with soy. If you want some more info, pm me and I can give you some good links to read.

As for alternatives for dairy...have you tried any raw dairy products? I know it is still "dairy", but pasteuraized dairy is what gives people the most problems. We drink raw goat's milk (just recently discovered how good it is for you) and we love it. I can also give you some great links to read about raw goats milk and it's amazing benefits. In the states, you can not buy raw dairy products at the store, so you have to get them from local farmers. Or how about almond milk or rice milk? Almond milk is soooo tasty!

And see what happens when you get me started on discussing nutrition?? :)
    edited May 2006
    Or a dog. Dogs are good too. And not so finicky.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Yes...remember that we had a new puppy not too long ago, and someone stole him from us?? :( My daughter still asks for him. We will get another dog one day.
  • edited May 2006
    Looks like we could have an entire thread on cats. I am sure many have stories about those charming creatures that have blessed our lives.

I counseled my daughter and nieces about what I call the cat test. Bring their new bf to the house. If he is nuetral or accepting to the cats, its cool. If he shows negative feelings he may have control issues as cats are fuzzy house mates rather than a servant like dogs are.

Happy Birthday YogaMoma
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited May 2006
    Happy belated birthday, Yogamama !!

I hope you had a great one :)

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Yes, Yogamama. I need more info for sure on the soy. Crap, crap, crap. Well, at least I have you as a resource. I'll PM you in a couple of days for those links. Almond milk sounds good. So does rice milk. I have some questions, too, that I'm pretty sure you'll be able to answer for me. Just general stuff but I really have to get this in order because the stomach problems were getting severe enough for me to consider going into the emerg. and I never, ever go to emerg. But the pain was the warning kind, the one that tells you "This is serious". But now that I haven't had dairy at all for 4 days I feel so much better. Oh, well. Who knows? Could be anything, really.

I think we should start a thread about our cats. That would be fun.

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    If I ever get a cat, yes, I would love a thread about cats! :)

Just send me a pm and I will be more than happy to help you with nutrition. It's one of my favorite subjects!
    edited May 2006
    When I was a kid, I liked putting duct tape on my cats back. Then it would walk around the house squatting down like it thought it was walking under something. Or put some on it's side and it would walk sideways for a while.

Good stuff!

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    LOL. That is mean, but also funny. One time, when I was little, one of my brothers put a plastic grocery bag on our cats head (he put the handle of the bag around her neck) and the cat started trying to run away from the bag, but since it was hooked on her (it was not choking her or anything) it was like a parachute behind her. It still cracks me up to this day. The poor cat was running in circles, trying to get away from the bag for like 10 minutes! I was finally able to catch her and take the bag off. It was like her own "kitty parachute".
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Happy Two-Days-After-Your-Birthday-Day!!!!

05.jpg

WooHoo!!!

_/\_
    metta