Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This is really a good read...

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
I Thought it would be nice for you to read a really positive outlook...

http://winfieldclark.com/challenge.html

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Thank you so much, Fede. How wonderful! He's a clean writer, isn't he? In so many ways you couldn't know, this is exactly what I needed to read right now. You have perfect timing.

In gratitude,
    Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks for the link, reading that gave me a new perspective on something I've been thinking/worrying about for months (okay, years :P). I still have no idea how to actually deal with it though.
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks Fede, that is a great read :)

Aquula, do you want to expand, see if anyone else can help?

Sas :buck:
  • edited May 2006
    I'm looking for a thread it might fit in right now.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Post it anywhere chum...I can always move it for you later.... ;)
  • edited May 2006
    Okay, I'll do that :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    And here's something else to give us all a real buzz.....

I think this is utterly Brilliant...!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    federica wrote:
    And here's something else to give us all a real buzz.....

I think this is utterly Brilliant...!!

Isn't it great when scientists prove what we've known for centuries!

I observed the same (if reported) changes among people with AIDS when we started meditation groups for frontliners.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Beautiful!
    Thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    federica can you repost that last link? Its not working anymore.

Really enjoyed the first read. I think he hit the nail on the head about how meditation is best used to simply observe how your mind works in its normal state.

I used to think I was pretty neurotic, and I still feel like I have more thoughts going on in my head than most people...but the practice of meditation has taught me to look at it from third person perspective. Its allowed me to see what thoughts lead to bad habits, what thoughts lead to good ones, which ones cause me pain and which ones cause me joy.

Its difficult not to try to reach in and totally control it. I try to just remember that life is basically good and that joy comes naturally if you just relax and let it in. Trying to control things never works.
    edited November 2010
    I'm sorry, I can't....
    It's now part of that publication's archives, and it was so long ago, I don't even remember what the article was about...And they charge dollars for reviving an archived article.
    A good reminder if ever there was one, to name the article as a link...

I'm so sorry. :(
  • WonderingSeekerWonderingSeeker Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Would it have been this one, Fede? :)

Willing Your Mind to Happiness. By Colleen O'Connor Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 6/04/2006
    http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/web/News/denver_post_6-4-06.html
    edited November 2010
    It may very well have been - but if it wasn't, it's a lovely one!!

Thank you for locating it!
  • WonderingSeekerWonderingSeeker Explorer
    edited November 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Thank you for locating it!
    Most welcome - I am glad I could add to the thread :)