Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

DID you know that.... The Useless information thread....

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited June 2006 in General Banter
....Was started by Fede because she thought it might be a moment of transitory entertainment in a world of permanent Impermanence....?

Let's start with something deep and meaningful....

In the Old Testament, before David could marry Saul's daughter, Michal, he had to collect the foreskins of 100 Philistines.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I did not know that. I'm not that happy that I do now. (lol!)

Did you know...

You can make knitting yarn out of bamboo?
  • edited May 2006
    I saw a news item the other day about a (Canadian?) Zoo which couldn't afford to keep it's Giant Panda as it eats too much bamboo. Maybe it could earn it's keep by knitting bamboo sweaters to sell to the visitors?! :D .And socks.... EVERYONE always needs more socks :)

My useless fact:

A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for approximately sixty-nine years.

How annoying!

Sas :buck:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Did you know...

Chronic hiccupping can be a sign of cancer?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    ....Was started by Fede because she thought it might be a moment of transitory entertainment in a world of permanent Impermanence....?

Let's start with something deep and meaningful....

In the Old Testament, before David could marry Saul's daughter, Michal, he had to collect the foreskins of 100 Philistines.

I heard David made a wallet out of those foreskins. But, rub it a little bit and it turns into a suitcase.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    :rolleyesc Oh good grief.....!:grin:

Experts say the average American sees 3,000 media messages in a day. In 1985, it was about 650.
    edited May 2006
    Back on to the naughty bits and pieces trivia...

The female rules the hyena pack. So much so, that the hyena accepted as the matriarch in the pack grows a mock penis which she uses to mark her territory.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    :wow: :eek2: :lol:

Topical (Da Vinci Code):
    In 1983, a Japanese artist, Tadahiko Ogawa, made a copy of the Mona Lisa completely out of ordinary toast.

uh huh
  • edited May 2006
    BF - I actually knew that about hyenas. Nature is amazing!
  • edited May 2006
    Everyone may already know this one, but a ducks quack does not echo. And no one knows why!
  • edited May 2006
    Oh, and one more.....

Elephants are the only mammals that can not jump.

I've got loads of uselss information about animals!
  • edited May 2006
    YogaMama wrote:

I disagree.........

...........neither can I after a good meal :D
    edited May 2006
    Complaining about weight?

As we get older, as men and women, our bodies slow down on the production of testosterone and estrogen.

As a male starts producing less testosterone, he gains weight... in the gut.
    As a female starts producing less estrogen, she gains weight... in her butt.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    did you know that... There are coffee flavored Pez?

also,

In Athens, Greece, a driver's license can be lifted by the law if the driver is deemed either 'poorly dressed' or 'unbathed'.

????
  • edited May 2006
    Did you know that...

'Ben' is a formal Japanese name for a number 2!
  • edited May 2006
    wezz_975 wrote:
    In Athens, Greece, a driver's license can be lifted by the law if the driver is deemed either 'poorly dressed' or 'unbathed'.????

LOL I like that one - the Greek fashion police :lol:

And........

The first toilet being flushed in a motion picture was in the movie "Psycho."

That's a need to know one, huh? :D

Sas :buck:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    90% of bird species are monogamous, but only 3% of mammal species are.....

I never did look good in feathers....!! :wow: :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    This is a good thread.
  • edited May 2006
    the only difference between monkey DNA and human DNA is about 0.1 %
  • edited May 2006
    there are so many websites on the world wide web, if you viewed one every second for the rest of your life, you would still not even see a third of them.
    edited May 2006
    Englishman Sean Stewart became the youngest documented father in 1998 at the age of 12.

I love the term, 'EnglishMAN'....!:wow:

knda makes me proud to be British.... gets ya right there, don't it....?:eek2:
  • edited May 2006
    lmao!
  • edited May 2006
    :ukflag: :buck: :eek2: :rolleyes:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Oh, and one more.....

I've got loads of uselss information about animals!

Elephants are also the only mammals whose both front and back legs bend forward.

Did you know that if an elephant were to lie directly on its belly, it would die?

The area of an average adult human's skin is about the same as a king size bed sheet.

And you thought I only knew important information!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Did you know that...

'Ben' is a formal Japanese name for a number 2!

So is that where the name
    BENihana comes from?

The slang word for "toilet" in Japanese is BEN-jo!

Palzang
  • edited June 2006
    Palzang wrote:

So is that where the name
    BENihana comes from?

The slang word for "toilet" in Japanese is BEN-jo!

Palzang

I've been informed that ben-jo is actually the most formal name for a toilet/bathroom.

トイレ (to-i (ee)-re (ray) being the most common.

:orange:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I've been informed that ben-jo is actually the most formal name for a toilet/bathroom.

トイレ (to-i (ee)-re (ray) being the most common.

:orange:

Not in the bars I hung out in! But I never studied the language formally, just picked it up as I went. I figured since they called the open sewers in the streets "Benjo ditches" that benjo wasn't exactly a polite word!

Ton-de-monai!

Palzang