Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have I broken my vow?

minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
edited June 2012 in Philosophy
I hold a precept / vow to abstain from anger as part of the '10 Good Precepts' / '10 wholesome actions.' The other day I could feel anger rising inside me (because of someones behaviour) .....and each time I felt the anger arising, I would do my best to suppress it and breath deeply until the angry feeling went away. In terms of my vow .... I did feel very slight anger arising .... but I did my best to keep it away ..... would this still be considered a transgression? As I did still feel slight, anger nonetheless......

Or is this vow the same as the other precepts .... in that if there is no intention = there is no transgression. As I was trying my best to keep it away?

Please help xx

Sorry, I'm just rather confused :-/

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    Do you feel it was a transgression?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Flippin' impossible precept!!!! How can anyone abstain from anger? It's setting an almost impossible standard; one we're bound to fail.

However, there are techniques in Buddhism for helping us with negative afflicting emotions; but this sounds a little too extreme to me.
  • minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Do you feel it was a transgression?
    Yes ... and at the same time my rational mind says No ...... as I was striving hard not to get angry, and the anger was more of a 'knee jerk reaction' ..... I'm a bit of a perfectionst .... and being a young Buddhist, a little confused! Sorry! x

Tosh :-) I'ts not impossible :-) I'ts a great thing to master (well from what I have experienced so far, I believe it is) x

• jlljll Veteran
    vows are made to be broken.
    why would you make a silly vow like that?
    reflect on your mistakes and try to do better in the future instead.
  • vows are made to be broken.
    why would you make a silly vow like that?
    reflect on your mistakes and try to do better in the future instead.
    I appreciate your opinion, but I believe a vow should be held :-) with true intent x

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Be honest. Have a light touch. Feel what makes things better or worse.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Tosh :-) I'ts not impossible :-) I'ts a great thing to master (well from what I have experienced so far, I believe it is) x

I'd be interested to hear your techniques for overcoming anger.

I use mindfulness to try and catch it before it happens, and even when it's happening - if I can still be mindful - I'll tell myself 'this is all my fault, it's nothing to do with anything external, this is an internal problem', and sometimes it short circuits the anger; it causes a bit of confusion in me, because it does REALLY feel like the cause of my anger is my wife or daughter, or some external cause. However, from a logical and rational point of view, I know the anger is an internal problem.

But I still get angry. I agree with you that overcoming anger is not impossible and would be a great thing to master; however it is still an extremely high bar to reach, and we should remember that even though we aim for perfection, in reality it's progress we should be making; progress, not perfection. If you aim for the near impossible, the chances are you're gonna fail, get frustrated, and give it up as a waste of time.

That's just my opinion based on my own experience.
  • jlljll Veteran
    i vow never to tell a lie...
    i bet you the vow will be broken,
    its better to say i will try my best not tell a lie bcos lying is not good for me,
    and i dont like it when people lie to me.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Yes ... and at the same time my rational mind says No ...... as I was striving hard not to get angry, and the anger was more of a 'knee jerk reaction' ..... I'm a bit of a perfectionst .... and being a young Buddhist, a little confused! Sorry! x
    :) Apologies certainly not necessary! :)

Take your time and decide whether you consider it was a transgression or not.

What makes you say yes? you seem to have just a bare statement there... the meat appears on the No side...
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Don’t vow to abstain from the negative (“not to…”) when it comes to emotions.
    Vow to develop the positive counterpart.
    The paramita here is khanti or tolerance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramita
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanti

The beauty is that when you can accept everything, you can accept your anger too.
    You’re angry and defeating anger at the same time. You have an opening.

If you don’t have that opening, you will feel anger and add some anger to it about feeling the anger.
    You get into a war on your own emotions; which is not a good idea.
    imho
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Vows & precepts mimic enlightened action. What is important is ones consistent intent to breath life into them. There is more karma from the miring guilt of falling on ones face in the failed attempt of trying to keep them than from just returning to your practise of keeping them? Being tested by your vows only says that you chose the right ones to take.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Even the DL gets angry.

That said, I understand Buddhism, no matter what level you are on, to be a lifelong practice, and even a many-lifetime practice. It is not something you just say "i agree to this" and bam, you can do it. It's referred to as a practice for a reason. It sounds to me like you practiced and overall did well. Is there anything you can look back on over the interaction and figure out what points made you angry, and what you can do to understand those points so when they arise in the future you can better control your feelings?

I think the point (I'm fairly new to this, fyi) is to not be consumed by anger. To recognize when it's present so you can take control and not express anger to other people, and not allow the anger to fester and make yourself suffer. Recognizing, accepting and letting go.
  • @karasti well said. You have a good grasp on dealing with anger. Welcome, by the way!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Wise things said here. I can only agree. Overcoming anger is a training, not a vow. You are bound to break it if you consider it like that. It's like saying you will never have craving again. That's not something you can vow on.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Even the DL gets angry.
    Exactly. HH has said, of course I get angry. I'm only human. If it's difficult for an advanced spiritual teacher, then unless we act on that anger, we probably shouldn't beat ourselves up too badly when it happens to us.
  • I was listening to "Buddhist Geeks" today and the guest stated that you only get angry if you care. If you don't care about something it's impossible to get angry over it. He suggested looking deeper and getting it touch with what it is you are caring about when you find yourself being angry.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Interesting!
    I thought caring, like attachment, arose from the root of hanging onto or pushing away anything.
    I like the expression of "caring" for its brighter connotation.
    I reminds me of one Roshi, who when asked what ever started karma's impetus, answering "slightly saddened love".

• Tosh :-) I'ts not impossible :-) I'ts a great thing to master (well from what I have experienced so far, I believe it is) x

I'd be interested to hear your techniques for overcoming anger.

I use mindfulness to try and catch it before it happens, and even when it's happening - if I can still be mindful - I'll tell myself 'this is all my fault, it's nothing to do with anything external, this is an internal problem', and sometimes it short circuits the anger; it causes a bit of confusion in me, because it does REALLY feel like the cause of my anger is my wife or daughter, or some external cause. However, from a logical and rational point of view, I know the anger is an internal problem.

But I still get angry. I agree with you that overcoming anger is not impossible and would be a great thing to master; however it is still an extremely high bar to reach, and we should remember that even though we aim for perfection, in reality it's progress we should be making; progress, not perfection. If you aim for the near impossible, the chances are you're gonna fail, get frustrated, and give it up as a waste of time.

That's just my opinion based on my own experience.
    Hi Tosh (^‿^)

It is a pretty difficult precept, I agree .... but I can pretty much completely block anger (i.e. rage) now .... its just irritation and those more mild forms of anger I am currently struggling with! Having taken a vow to abstain from anger, it makes things easier, because it gives me an aspiration, and desire to preserve my vow. If you are very disciplined with yourself for about 3+ weeks (i.e. each time you feel anger arising, take a deep breath, and on the exhale, calm the anger and contemplate 'oneness' or that each living being has enough suffering, so why add to it) after a while you start to be able to recognise even the start of feeling angry and simply breathe through it. Because the more you let a feeling of anger grow, the more tense you become, the more you blood vessles consrict, the more your mind goes into survival mode, and then you find yourself justifying getting angry .... which then leads to full blown anger. Anger is simply an energy, so inhale deeply and let the energy go.

If you look back on times you were angry ... you will most probably feel ashamed or regretful .... so its essentially an empty unproductive emotion.
    I was listening to "Buddhist Geeks" today and the guest stated that you only get angry if you care. If you don't care about something it's impossible to get angry over it. He suggested looking deeper and getting it touch with what it is you are caring about when you find yourself being angry.
    I think in this case, 'anger' is being confused with 'passion' .... passion can be seen as a positive motivational energy .... whereas anger, involves aggression, which is against the Buddhist teachings and little good comes of it x
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Anger can be a 'no'. Underneath we have some reason for anger, we are just blind. Anger means we want something different from how it is. In this deeper way of looking at anger it might not be manifest as aggression. For example if a computer is having an error one can tap into the emotional energy as either smashing your fist into the computer or you can harness the energy to give you a boost in finishing your problem. I have depression and sometimes I harness energy in this way and it cuts the depression. Saying anger is always negative is a good step. But as shunryu suzuki's book title goes here it is, Not Always So.
  • I hold a precept / vow to abstain from anger as part of the '10 Good Precepts' / '10 wholesome actions.' The other day I could feel anger rising inside me (because of someones behaviour) .....and each time I felt the anger arising, I would do my best to suppress it and breath deeply until the angry feeling went away. In terms of my vow .... I did feel very slight anger arising .... but I did my best to keep it away ..... would this still be considered a transgression? As I did still feel slight, anger nonetheless......

Or is this vow the same as the other precepts .... in that if there is no intention = there is no transgression. As I was trying my best to keep it away?

Please help xx

You have posted variations of this same question on another forum..and also gave circumstances, and received very sympathetic responses. It is a pattern... the same theme revisited. Getting angry...seeking absolution on-line, getting angry... seeking absolution on-line. Will this response go poof like all the others? What is that about?

• I hold a precept / vow to abstain from anger as part of the '10 Good Precepts' / '10 wholesome actions.' The other day I could feel anger rising inside me (because of someones behaviour) .....and each time I felt the anger arising, I would do my best to suppress it and breath deeply until the angry feeling went away. In terms of my vow .... I did feel very slight anger arising .... but I did my best to keep it away ..... would this still be considered a transgression? As I did still feel slight, anger nonetheless......

Please help xx

You have posted variations of this same question on another forum..and also gave circumstances, and received very sympathetic responses. It is a pattern... the same theme revisited. Getting angry...seeking absolution on-line, getting angry... seeking absolution on-line. Will this response go poof like all the others? What is that about?

Only one question (on a completeley different situation) ..... on one other forum I also use.... and if I am not mistaken that was around a month or two ago ... and that was a different, very personal situation altogether, I was asking about, that I shared simply to get a second opinion... I am a little offended that you would think of me as a sympathy seeker ..... and will not make such a mistake again, as to post such personal questions, I am simply a young Buddhist, whom likes to get others viewpoints on certain situations, and I must edmit I do panic at the idea that I might have broken my vows, and post silly questions, relaying silly situations. Please dont judge me or anyone else in such a manner .... I dont find such accusations, in line with compassion. I have no Buddhist friends or family, or temples or teachers around me ..... hence why I use this forum as a vehicle for my, at times silly questions. But I thought that was pretty much what this forum was for?

Claudie

• driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I believe all you need is the five precepts. It would give you more freedom than trying to examine your every thoughts and emotions. If anger arises, let it arise and just be aware of it. Anger can cause unskilful actions, but if we are aware of it, let it be, and not take orders from it, then we can learn to escape its clutches this way, I believe.

Please help xx

Only one question (on a completeley different situation) ..... on one other forum I also use.... and if I am not mistaken that was around a month or two ago ... and that was a different, very personal situation altogether, I was asking about, that I shared simply to get a second opinion... I am a little offended that you would think of me as a sympathy seeker ..... and will not make such a mistake again, as to post such personal questions, I am simply a young Buddhist, whom likes to get others viewpoints on certain situations, and I must edmit I do panic at the idea that I might have broken my vows, and post silly questions, relaying silly situations. Please dont judge me or anyone else in such a manner .... I dont find such accusations, in line with compassion. I have no Buddhist friends or family, or temples or teachers around me ..... hence why I use this forum as a vehicle for my, at times silly questions. But I thought that was pretty much what this forum was for?

Claudie

Hi Minimayhen. I'm sorry to offend you, and know nothing about you, except postings. There is only the reoccurring theme of postings. That's all there is to go by online. I don't think your questions are silly at all. An Internet forum can help settle these questions to some degree, but it can also itch and scratch them endlessly.

R.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think this most certainly is a place to ask and get answers to questions. However, as with any place online, you need to be cautious of getting caught up in online mental masturbation. I've noticed this seems especially common of religious/spiritual places, people over-thinking and over-sharing. I am guilty of it as well! It's just good to keep in mind, and as with anything in life sometimes it's good to take a few deep breaths and wait a day to decide to post about something. You might often find that 12 hours makes all the difference as to whether you feel the need to post about it anymore.

I also think negative emotions can be a great opportunity for learning. They aren't something that an average person can assume they will never experience. It is only how you control them and react to them that matters.