Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Freemasons

SabineSabine Veteran
edited July 2006 in Faith & Religion
Anybody know anything about them? I've googled some stuff, but I haven't found anything really in depth.

I've heard of Freemasonry before, but today, one of my friends brought this big, gilded Masonic Bible to school. I asked where on earth he got it, but he was kinda secretive. However, he did tell me that he's a Freemason, as well as his parents, and theirs, and theirs...I don't think I'll be getting too many answers from him, though. :p

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    It's a secret society. Mozart was a Freemason. They have secret handshakes to identify themselves and all sorts of other stuff. But I don't know anything else about them except that they have Masonic Halls and all sorts of secret ceremonies and rituals and heredity is big with them. They're supposed to hold and protect ancient secrets of some some sort blah, blah, blah. I can't help feeling a little skeptical about groups like these. I think only men are invited to be Freemasons. They were satirized in The Flinstones and The Simpsons. It's very "tree house club, no girls allowed", but with grown ups. Who knows? Maybe they do protect great secrets and they're the ones preventing the world from falling apart around our ears. If I come across any good sources of info I'll post them here, Sabine.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Age is not a barrier, and neither is profession...there are men from all walks of life and of all ages who are Freemasons....

Their Creed and organisation is based on the Book of Solomon, his temple, the Pillars and his Creed for Living...There is a massive element of 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' to every conceivable level....

You have to be nominated by someone, (there is an awful lot of credit attached to recruiting new members....) and providing your sponsor can show and prove your good unblemished character, who you are, what you do and where you've come from is no barrier.
    Women are not permitted to join, although new Freemason Lodges exclusively for women have been founded....Though what any mature, sensible and articulate woman would want to be doing playing over-grown boys' games, is totally beyond me...

An ex-boss of mine was a Freemason, and he recruited my ex-husband, but living in France as he does now, his membership has fallen to the wayside....
    Technically speaking, you never stop being a Freemason, although you are encouraged to keep up with your membership, and attend Lodge gatherings....

There is also a hierarchy system, whereby you climb through the ranks.....

And most Lodges hold an annual Ladies' Night - by way, I would guess, of thanking these long-suffering partners for their patience and indulgence - !!

And that's all I know. :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    They built churches years ago and is founded on this concept of brotherhood. could tell you heaps but i'd have to kill you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LMAO!

Hey, bro. Where ya been? Long time no see.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I pop in every day or so-u must be sleeping when I'm here.

cheers,
    Richard.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    The stonemasons were persecuted years ago by the catholics?? (I think), so their society was kept secret to avoid further persecution etc.

A friend of mine is one-but we haven't seen each other for about two years so i can't tell u a great deal more about them, except that In my opinion they are okay-almost Buddhist in their approach to humanity and friendship.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    They built churches years ago and is founded on this concept of brotherhood. could tell you heaps but i'd have to kill you.
    Oh snap.

Hm, getting some conflicting stuff here. I've asked a few people about the FMs, and I've gotten a different story from each - one said, "Aren't they Satanist?"; another, "Aren't they uber-Christian?"; yet another, "Oh, you mean those dudes from The Da Vinci Code?"; but I've read articles about them that say anybody (with excess testosterone) can join, no matter what religion they are.

:wtf:

My FM friend is still keeping pretty silent, but he told me about the ranking system - they use degrees. The highest degree a FM can reach is 40. He didn't exactly say how to reach this level, though.
    One of my teachers is apparently one, too - he has a very obvious sticker on the back of his car that looks like their compass symbol.
    Thanks for the background, everybody!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    You may also see some gentlemen wearing tiny discreet lapel pins in the form of a small blue flower - the Forget-me-not...
    These are not available to purchase over the counter in jewellery shops, although I have seen Freemason symbols as tie pins, cufflinks, rings and pendants, for sale...

I did know the significance of this lapel pin, but I have forgotten....
  • edited May 2006
    I tried to find information on freemasonry a while back, sad part is my google results always take me to christian fundie websites, where they take EVERYTHING out of context.

in case you didn't know, the G in the masonic symbol stands for God, and also Bill Gates is a freemason. (just had to add that)

this thread has sparked my attention back up on Freemasonry, if i find some good info i'll post it up here.

With love,
    Wes.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    In the 18th century, Freemasonry was associated with the revolutionary movements and science. There were a number of Masons among the revolting American colonists' leaders. Masonic symbols still appear on the currency of that country.

In the 19th century, French Masonry was deeply anti-clerical but, at the same time, interested in esoteric, quasi-Satanic ritual and invocation.

No Roman Catholic may become a Mason. It is one of the proscribed organisations, along with the Communist Party (although the latter stricture has been lifted).

In Britain, English Masonry (the Brotherhood) has tended to be a source of charitable work, building schools and hospitals. Membership used to be secret but this is no longer the case. Senior (male) members of the Royal Family are Masons of High Degree, as have been (and may still be) bishops and archbishops.

In order to move from Degree to Degree requires a lot of studying, particularly of arcane lore concerning the alleged "Temple of Solomon". The basic tenets of belief are theist so that all people who believe in a deity of any stripe are welcomed. There used to be very strong Police Lodges and I have received a number of invitations from senior officers. Police officers must now declare their membership. although, for many years, it was suspected that there was Masonic collusion between judiciary and police.

As far as I am aware, Scottish Masonry has always accepted women as members, within their own lodges, but Scottish Masonry has remained much closer to the ideals of the Enlightenment and the Age of Revolution.

• edited June 2006
    my father is a freemason 32nd degree, but i know very little about it.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2006

As far as I am aware, Scottish Masonry has always accepted women as members, within their own lodges, but Scottish Masonry has remained much closer to the ideals of the Enlightenment and the Age of Revolution.

Oh, really? :O *jots notes*
    It's interesting how a lot of major European countries have their own branches.
    edited July 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    Oh, really? :O *jots notes*
    It's interesting how a lot of major European countries have their own branches.

As with so many other things, the US has adopted and adapted European structures/ideas in their own particuliar way. The English language gives example! LOL
  • edited July 2006

No Roman Catholic may become a Mason.

Is this a Catholic or Masonic rule? I'm curious since my brother is Roman Catholic and a Mason.
    edited July 2006
    Is this a Catholic or Masonic rule? I'm curious since my brother is Roman Catholic and a Mason.

Membership of and participation in the rituals of the Masonic 'brotherhood' has been subject to excommunication by the Roman Church since 1738! This is ipso facto (automatic) and reserved to the Holy See (i.e only the Pope can lift the sentence on an individual). Your brother needs to decide where he stands, I think. At the higher degrees of Masonry, anti-Catholic statements and rituals are an integral part of the belief structure.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2006
    At the higher degrees of Masonry, anti-Catholic statements and rituals are an integral part of the belief structure.
    Wow, that's harsh. :O I wonder what happened between the two groups?
    *curiosity piques once again*
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2006

As with so many other things, the US has adopted and adapted European structures/ideas in their own particuliar way. The English language gives example! LOL
    True, true :grin:
    edited July 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    Wow, that's harsh. :O I wonder what happened between the two groups?
    *curiosity piques once again*

Botyh the Catholic Church and the Brotherhood appear to be surviving each other's opprobrium!