Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does a full realization change life? Is concentration necessary?

edited July 2012 in Philosophy
So the seeking ends- and that's a relief... But a full realizations yet to be experienced.
I no longer obsess, but I'm curious.. If this is it, and I'm settling into that comfortably now, please tell me - what will a full realization change? How will it change this life, this body? Will I really not crave stuff anymore (like sugar which is my vice ;)
I'm sure the experience is not describable- I've had those and know there aren't words-- but what will it actually Change in my life? Hopefully it will make this the last go-round for me yes-- other than that and maybe being able to help others more so- what's the point? I guess I've lost desire even for this and am now just floating about wondering if it's even necessary?
And in another thread someone said something like Only great meditators realize this-- and I do not consider myself a great meditator at all- no exceptional concentration at all hahah!
Does one need excellent concentration for a full realization? If so I'm outta luck ! So no worries then;) I trip over it or not then...
What does one do at this stage? Forget about it and enjoy life seems right- but the curiosity lingers.

Thanks for any info guys:):):)

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    - what will a full realization change? How will it change this life, this body?
    It will drastically change the way you see things. I think though for most people it's a gradual thing, what the Dzogchen people call "glimpses of the view".
    Enjoy! :)
  • Hmm thanks Porpoise:) ya know I'm glad you said that- I think I keep thinking its a sudden thing (which I understand it to be although it may not be dramatic if ones been on the path a while:) but yes- a gradual learning/seeing/acclimation - no need to wonder about a sudden event!
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    what will a full realization change?
    Depends on how you define 'full' and 'realisation'.

Life inherently appears to be the process of change.

An answer maybe "everything and nothing"!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Realization is in stages, with long patches of gradual progress in between.
    Just as the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch, in the same way this Doctrine and Discipline has a gradual training, a gradual performance, a gradual progression, with a penetration to gnosis only after a long stretch.
    In Therevadan Buddhism there are 4 stages, of which the first -stream entry- is the best aim for lay people.
    Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven, lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.
    After this moment, the view on life will change 180 degrees, because all idea of a self is gone. One can only imagine what this view is like. According to the suttas, this leads to final nirvana soon.

Do you need good concentration (jhana) for this? There are some arguments about this; not all teachers agree. Also:
    The Nikāyas themselves do not address this problem in clear and unambiguous terms
    http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha267.htm
    I personally think it is different for all people, because we are all different. However, I think most need quite some concentration, because we are so caught in ideas and views that only can be seen through with deep meditation. Also, to be able to have deep meditation is a direct result of being able to let go, which in term is needed to let go of the self view. So it's not like one leads to the other, it's all one process.

But -and this is most important- you can only start where you are. Don't worry about the future also means, don't worry about stages and insights. They will never be how you imagine them, anyway.

I personally found it useful to know a bit about how the path can develop, but, reflecting on it with a view of "that's all intersting and stuff, but I don't crave for it". Having a point of view of non-craving is of course the most fruitful thing.

However, that's no reason to "Forget about it and enjoy life", because if you do that, you can be sure you'll not expience them and will get entangled in worldy problems.

Metta!
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Im always up and down in my practice. One day i think ive fully attained enlightenment, the next day i know i mustn't have..

However, i think i have finally realized something which is very important; ''THE WAY DOESNT REQUIRE CULTIVATION - JUST DONT POLLUTE IT...''

Searching for this, searching for that, seeking, seeking, seeking and wanting more knowledge on buddhism or 'the way' - all this only brings more suffering.. (My opinion anyway)

Another thing ive only just noticed lately is that my 3 year old Son actually used to be enlightened, before his mummy and daddy and school teachers started influencing him with this and that and what we think is right and wrong etc etc.. (which is normal of course - apart of growing up, but now it makes sense if we could truely just remove all the crap which have been rammed into our minds - remove it all - and we're back where we started in the first place. Enlightened :) .. (thats my take on it anyway)

Before kids understand the influence which we have on them - theyre Enlightened..

For me, Enlightenment is something we lose - not gain..

Also, when you ask; How does a full realization change life?
    No one here will know.
    All they can tell you is what a scripture says ?
    But scriptures are just words.. Hear-say..

If you want the answer to your question, you will have to attain Full Realization yourself.
  • Hi Sabre,
    ""Don't worry about the future also means, don't worry about stages and insights. They will never be how you imagine them, anyway.""

This is key, a reminder I needed -thank you:)

ZenMyste-yes isn't that neat about kids! It's like we can watch them as babies begin to identify with the body, then slowly as they learn a name and a 'me' idea and begin to create a self-identity that is being conditioned day by day.. but we cant stop it thats just life! We can only hope they (and ourselves) will remember the unconditioned someday! We all have to go through the delusion..

but when you say " No one here will know" I definitely think otherwise.. I have read some posts and am pretty sure there's some very clear people on here.. and why wouldnt they use their wisdom to chime in once in a while and help others?
    I think enlightenment is not the huge deal that we believe it is at first-- and the further we go on the path the more we see that.. Its not just gurus and famous people- its all of us eventually anyway!

Much much metta!
  • but when you say " No one here will know" I definitely think otherwise.. I have read some posts and am pretty sure there's some very clear people on here..
    When you say theres ''very clear people on here'', i agree, but being 'clear' on something doesnt necessarily mean they have fully experienced what it is they are clear about... And certainly doesnt mean they have had a full realization.

I think there is a difference between being clear on something and fully understanding that something..
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Hi Sabre,
    ""Don't worry about the future also means, don't worry about stages and insights. They will never be how you imagine them, anyway.""

This is key, a reminder I needed -thank you:)
    You are welcome.

This is key, indeed. I've seen some people and sites on the internet, who are totally obsessed with stages, fruits, models of insight. And they forget the most important thing is that suffering comes from craving; craving to be 'enlightened' is craving as well. Often the best practice is to just be aware and let go of what we are clinging to. In a way it'll all take care of itself if you let it.

But craving to be free is different from desire to be free. Desires can be wholesome. So if you've lost the desire to practice, effort is not there. There are different ways to arouse some effort, the best is seeing suffering. But at these times you can also read a bit of suttas on enlightened beings and stages of the path, or listen to dhamma talks etc. It could give rise to some faith or desire to practice more.

So sometimes, when practice is a bit slack, or we need some sense of direction, it can be useful to reflect on what may lie ahead. However, don't get caught up in it. And have the "not sure" attitude when needed. :) Somethings you will never know until you experience them, that's just the way it is. Until that time (and perhaps even after) "not sure" is a useful reflection - or at least, that's what I've found.

Metta!
  • Hi zenmyste- when I said 'clear' I meant fully realized or 'enlightened':) I don't like using that term- makes it sound like such a big deal- They're humans like me and you- teachers or not who stop by sometimes:)
  • Hi zenmyste- when I said 'clear' I meant fully realized or 'enlightened':) I don't like using that term- makes it sound like such a big deal- They're humans like me and you- teachers or not who stop by sometimes:)
    So you really think there are people on here who are 'enlightened' or fully realized?

Whats your definition of Fully realized or enlightened then?

Because i bet everyone on here still 'suffers' to some degree ..
    (or do you believe being enlightened is something different?)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps best not to think in absolutes, like 'not realized' versus 'fully realized'. As I've said, there are stages in between. So some people can understand the dhamma on a very fundamental level, but still not be fully free. In the time of the Buddha, the most obvious example of such a person was Ananda, the Buddha's closest assistant.

Just for consideration, to maybe be a bit less polarized. Also to know it isn't all or nothing ;)

Metta!
  • Hi Zenmyste ...hmm gosh I guess my 'definition' of fully realized would be someone who's had a full/final realization ( or stage 4 in the Therevadan tradition that Sabre mentioned).. I'm curious why you think it's impossible that someone who's experienced that couldn't ever be on here?
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I'm curious why you think it's impossible that someone who's experienced that couldn't ever be on here?
    I never said i think its impossible.. :?
    and again, i think theres a difference from someone whos experienced and a fully enlightened person.

Also you didnt exactly answer my question;
    You wrote my 'definition' of fully realized would be someone who's had a full/final realization''
    That isnt a definition.

I asked you what is your definition of a fully realized or enlightend person?

Apart from these 'stages' which comes from a specific tradition and ''hear-say sutras'' that are only words.., i would be interested in what YOU define as Enlightenment?
    And if your definition is only based on what a tradition says it is, how do you know if its a fact or not if you havent experienced enlightenment yourself?
    (or have you?)

Also, Do you think an enlightened person still suffers? or Have they ended their suffering? Because like i said 'i believe everyone on here suffers to 'some' degree'
  • Lol I don't really Have a "definition"! I mean I dunno- that would seem to be a bunch of words that one could perceive however they choose too- and it still wouldn't 'explain' it I think... I'm not super articulate- what a relief that one doesn't have to be very smart to become 'enlightened'!

I think that enlightenment is a process but a full/final realization is --Oneness-- when there isn't even a 'you' to 'have' an experience.. And I suppose even after that our clarity continues to deepen perhaps?
    But this oneness experience occurs After other realizations (stage 1-3) when our understanding is still deepening as well.. But whatever:) those are my thoughts- we may all be one but we have to travel the path alone -no explanation will realize anything for us right!
    I think suffering certainly lessens as we go down our path and see their is no self- but
    re the complete cessation of suffering I have no idea but can't wait to find out!
    Peace:)
  • Cool. :) x
    a full/final realization is --Oneness-- when there isn't even a 'you' to 'have' an experience.
    I hope not.
    I personally dont think that would even be healthy state if im being honest..

My goal is just to stay 'me' but to be able to accept all that happens in my life without mentally suffering. , i want there to be a 'me' so i can feel and experience my experiences in life.
    but just i no longer mentally suffer.

I want to be able to ''accept the things i cannot change, have the courage to change the things i can but have the wisdom to know the difference..''

(i guess im not your average 'buddhist') :-)

Im the kind of person who loves buddhism but my ultimate goal and ideas are not necessarily the same as other buddhists. lol

Nice talking to you. and good luck x x

• <<Suz1 said:
    a full/final realization is --Oneness-- when there isn't even a 'you' to 'have' an experience.>>

Zenmyste said: " I hope not.
    I personally dont think that would even be healthy state if im being honest.. "

LOL I didnt think of it that way! I guess it does sound crazy like we wont be 'us' but since its that sense of 'me' that is causing the suffering, then how wonderful to drop the whole idea! I dont see it as a 'state' though... I dont know what it'll be like, I'm clueless:)
    But luckily we're all on our way and lucky to be human;) So nice talking to you as well, best wishes on your journey! Take good care:):)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2012
    In the scripture commentary called The Visuddhimagga, the author Buddhaghoṣa, states that the function of wisdom is "to abolish the darkness of delusion" and that it is "manifested as non-delusion." The proximate cause of wisdom is concentration.
    "Develop concentration, monks. A concentrated monk discerns things as they actually are present.

"He discerns, as it actually is present, that 'The eye is inconstant'... 'The ear is inconstant'... 'The nose is inconstant'... 'The tongue is inconstant'... 'The body is inconstant"..."He discerns, as it actually is present, that 'The intellect is inconstant'... 'Ideas are inconstant'... 'Intellect-consciousness is inconstant'... 'Intellect-contact is inconstant'... 'Whatever arises in dependence on intellect-contact, experienced either as pleasure, as pain, or as neither-pleasure-nor-pain, that too is inconstant.'

"So develop concentration, monks. A concentrated monk discerns things as they actually are present."
    Concentration is one of the 8 aspects of the 8 fold path. All aspects are necessary.
    Will I really not crave stuff anymore?
    Yes.
    but what will it actually Change in my life?
    It will actually change stress, disturbance, irritation, dejection, worry, despair, fear, dread, anguish, anxiety; vulnerability, inferiority; boredom, longing/aimlessness, loss, want, insufficiency, uncertainty.

into

total ease, complete calm, absolute freedom, perfect happiness & pure peace…
    Absence of any uncertainty, doubt, confusion, any delusion and all ignorance…
    Presence of confidence, certainty, understanding all, and direct experience…
    Absence of any greed, lust, desire, urge, attraction, hunger, and temptation…
    Presence of imperturbable and serene composure in an all stilled equanimity…
    Absence of all hate, anger, aversion, hostility, irritation, & stubborn rigidity…
    Presence of universal goodwill: An infinite & all-embracing friendly kindness…
    Does one need excellent concentration for a full realization? If so I'm outta luck !
    Yes. And no you are not out of luck! Anyone can develop concentration just by doing meditation practice. And all you really have to do is just sit there and breath in and out. :)
  • Thank you seeker242:)
    I will continue to practice- and I do believe my concentration can improve- its just that after a lifetime of ADD /distraction- I'm not sure it's my temperament or nature really?(but this year I do see changes- like a 'downshift' feeling - more 'distance' from thoughts- but I never learned to label states or jhanas or anything but there is a new change:)

Can I ask though- Im curious re absence of anxiety- thinking of a practical example- but if I spent my lifetime w extreme anxiety re public speaking-- would even that be seen thru? I've found that my general anxiety has lessened immeasurably but if I have to talk in front of others- I feel the deeply conditioned physical reactions of butterflies etc... And I lose my train of thought immediately ( which I suppose concentration will help )
    .. So I mean a full realization doesn't change stuff of that nature lol?? That would still take practice?
    Thank you:)
  • ZeroZero Veteran

if I have to talk in front of others- I feel the deeply conditioned physical reactions of butterflies etc... And I lose my train of thought immediately

.. So I mean a full realization doesn't change stuff of that nature lol?? That would still take practice?
    Everything is improved with practice - experience allows us opportunity to evaluate and try - butterflies are the side effect of unspent adrenalin.

Before one can explore what a full realisation can achieve, one should define clearly what is meant by a 'full realisation' and then consider the personal relationship with it.

Can I ask though- Im curious re absence of anxiety- thinking of a practical example- but if I spent my lifetime w extreme anxiety re public speaking-- would even that be seen thru? I've found that my general anxiety has lessened immeasurably but if I have to talk in front of others- I feel the deeply conditioned physical reactions of butterflies etc... And I lose my train of thought immediately ( which I suppose concentration will help )
    Thank you:)
    Yes, even that would be seen through. The entirety of all "five skandhas" would be seen through and understood for what they really are. You would be like the Dali Lama giving a talk in front of a million people with no problem. :) But of course, seeing thru that is what takes the practice. :)

• Wow - makes me really wanna know.. I'll keep practicing:) Thanks seeker242..
    You're welcome! :) But keep in mind, to develop patience and compassion, with yourself and for yourself, and with your practice, is also part of the practice. So if you are practicing and you "fall down" so to speak. You just get back up and keep going. It is not a "failure" in your practice, as some people incorrectly think of it. There can be no "failure" as long as you get back up. Even the Buddha himself fell down. But he got enlightenment because he got back up and kept going. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    You are already fundamentally enlightened. There are only obscurations that appear to mask your true nature.
  • Thank you seeker242! One more question if you have a sec, do you think that just practicing meditation/concentration on my own is enough, or are there 'states' that a teacher would need to explain or that I'd need an understanding of- before a full realization - or 'mind falling away' could happen-- ..... (assuming of course one is far enough along the path-I dont mean as a first realization)

Gosh I wish I had a teacher to sit down with because this does make sense to me but I know it probably sounds crazy:)
    Or will a full realization just happen when one is ready, either IN meditation or NOT during meditation?

Thanks so much!! have a great weekend:)

edited July 2012
    Thank you seeker242! One more question if you have a sec, do you think that just practicing meditation/concentration on my own is enough, or are there 'states' that a teacher would need to explain or that I'd need an understanding of- before a full realization - or 'mind falling away' could happen-- ..... (assuming of course one is far enough along the path-I dont mean as a first realization)

Gosh I wish I had a teacher to sit down with because this does make sense to me but I know it probably sounds crazy:)
    Or will a full realization just happen when one is ready, either IN meditation or NOT during meditation?

Thanks so much!! have a great weekend:)

Personally, I would not be all that concerned about "full realization" too much with regards to the meditation practice itself. All you have to do is sit there and breath in and out and everything else will happen all by itself. So the purpose of the practice, at least in my tradition of Zen, is not really to go and get something that you don't already have. But rather simply allow your mind to become calm and clear. When your mind is calm and clear, then you can see all this stuff clearly. If your mind is clear, then of course seeing things clearly, is inevitable. All there is to do, is simply to breathe in and out. When your attention goes away from the breath, you just bring it back to the breath. That's it! It's quite simple really. Just doing that is all you need to do. One zen teacher said, while explaining this process, "Every time you come back, you gain a little bit of wisdom".
    It depends on the person and their karma, sometime in meditation, sometimes not. But I think focusing on that is kind of getting ahead of yourself. What is most important, right now, is simply to allow your mind to become clear. When your mind is clear, everything else becomes clear, all by itself.

:)
  • Ah ok thank you! So when you said concentration is necessary- you didn't mean attaining any particular states- you just meant staying on the breath?
    If so that is good news and far simpler than I had started to concern myself with:)!!
    Course what about when the breath becomes so subtle that you don't feel it? That's new for me this year but has been happening at times..
    A few times even the body seems like nothing is there - but it's funny cause I wouldn't even label it pleasant- its like neutral...
    Anyway- I need to quit pondering a full realization as an experience I know:) it's been on the mind lately, then it's gone for a while ( which is nice as I used to be obsessed)..
    Thank you so much for your help! I imagine you are a wonderful teacher:)
  • A full realization to me means that you realize that there is suffering/unsatisfactoriness, that the cause of suffering is craving, that the end of craving means the end of suffering, and the way leading to the end of craving is the Eightfold Path. How does this change life? I think it would make people more wise, alert, kind, and honest. Is concentration necessary? Yes. In order to end cravings.

"And what is right concentration? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful (mental) qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. With the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters & remains in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. With the fading of rapture, he remains equanimous, mindful, & alert, and senses pleasure with the body. He enters & remains in the third jhana, of which the Noble Ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.' With the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither pleasure nor pain. This is called right concentration."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-samadhi/index.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I think it's more fruitful to see the short term effects of meditation. What can you let go of at this moment? What are you attached to right now? Looking at it this way is actually working with the present moment, instead of focussing on grand goals in the future such as "full realization".

Fantasizing about what might happen in the future, is a form of craving. And that's exactly the source of suffering. That's why the Buddhist path isn't about having some grandeur realizations, but it really is about letting go of craving. Whatever may result from that, you'll see later.

Samadhi (often translated as concentration, but that doesn't really hit the right tone, so I prefer to call it tranquility) is in itself letting go. So it in itself is a result and part of the practice. So that way, you can not really ask if you 'need' it. It's like asking does a guitar player need music..?

So it's something you'll develop naturally as the path progresses. It can get really deep and peaceful, so peaceful and still, you will not want to look at anything else except the breath at that moment. Then the breath can take you further if you let it. If at any point it isn't stable and peaceful yet, find out why. That's your craving right there, that's what you have to work with.

Metta!
    edited July 2012
    Ah ok thank you! So when you said concentration is necessary- you didn't mean attaining any particular states- you just meant staying on the breath?
    If so that is good news and far simpler than I had started to concern myself with:)!!
    Yes! :) This is how it's done in the Zen tradition and others also. When doing breath meditation, the only thing you should concern yourself with is staying on the breath. That is the entirety of the practice. So when you are sitting there breathing in and out, stuff comes up that takes your attention away from breathing, when you notice this has happened, you just bring attention back to the breath. That's it! Just doing that IS the act of developing concentration. Just doing that develops concentration by itself. Just doing that causes Samadhi to arise by itself. So you don't have to think or worry about "I must enter this state of Samadhi" because "staying with the breath" and "entering this state of Samadhi" are the same thing.

I like this little explanation from a Thai forest monk, Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo
    From what I've observed in my own practice, there is only one path that is short, easy, effective, and pleasant, and at the same time has hardly anything to lead you astray: the path of keeping the breath in mind, the same path the Lord Buddha himself used with such good results. I hope that you won't make things difficult for yourself by being hesitant or uncertain, by taking this or that teaching from here or there; and that, instead, you'll earnestly set your mind on getting in touch with your own breath and following it as far as it can take you. From there, you will enter the stage of liberating insight, leading to the mind itself. Ultimately, pure knowing — buddha — will stand out on its own. That's when you'll reach an attainment trustworthy and sure. In other words, if you let the breath follow its own nature, and the mind its own nature, the results of your practice will without a doubt be all that you hope for.
  • Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to respond.
    Seeker242 you've helped a lot thank you:)
    With a bow, Suzanne
  • Suz1: Full realization (anuttarsamyaksambodhi) is to see that nothing fundamentally exists apart from Mind-only (cittamâtra). In other words, things, including our psycho-physical body, are only configurations of Mind (or tathatâ). The Lankvatarasutra tells us in fact: According to conventional truth (samvriti), things are, but not in the highest truth.
  • Thanks Songhill great stuff! I sure hope to realize this one day:) May we all be free:)
    Full realization (anuttarsamyaksambodhi) is to see that nothing fundamentally exists apart from Mind-only (cittamâtra). In other words, things, including our psycho-physical body, are only configurations of Mind (or tathatâ).
    This doesn't sound like mainstream Buddhist teaching.
  • Porpoise: Mainstream or pop Buddhism is not Buddhism. Here is a sample of mainstream Buddhism:

"Enlightenment is not something you achieve. It is the absence of something. All your life you have been going forward after something, pursuing some goal. Enlightenment is dropping all that" (Joko Beck).

This is quite laughable.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Actually "suffering and the cessation of suffering" is the heart of Buddhism, and that quote seems to be saying the absence of suffering (via the absence of "craving" that keeps us moving forward). It's not at all laughable. What's laughable is how far astray from that essential message we can get. We make Buddhism out to be a lot of things, but the Four Noble Truths is what the Buddha taught, with included Noble Eightfold Path to bring about the cessation of suffering. That's really all it is.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Porpoise: Mainstream or pop Buddhism is not Buddhism. Here is a sample of mainstream Buddhism:

"Enlightenment is not something you achieve. It is the absence of something. All your life you have been going forward after something, pursuing some goal. Enlightenment is dropping all that" (Joko Beck).

This is quite laughable.
    Not sure why this is laughable. That "something" is what Buddhism deconstructs. We attribute solidity to reality via aversion and attachment. Ending aversion and attachment shows reality as it is (wisdom). Which is essentially the goal of all of Buddhism.

• SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Cloud: Our world, including our psycho-physical body, is conditioned which is synonymous with suffering. The end of suffering is possible because nirvana is unconditioned. It is useless to try to escape suffering by running to more conditioned things—that is samsara. Only by attaining direct realization of the unconditioned does suffering actually end—not until then.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, I would say the realization of emptiness is what leads to Nirvana. Nirvana itself is the result of penetrating the empty nature of reality and the Four Noble Truths. Realization and its fruit (Nirvana) arise one moment after the other. Pertaining to stream-entry: "They have had their first glimpse of the unconditioned element (Nibbana), which they see as the third of the Four Noble Truths" (emphasis mine)... Cessation of Tanha/Craving is equivocal to what Nirvana actually is. It's not something else that you're looking for. If you're looking for Nirvana as something other than cessation, well, that's an exercise in futility.

Nirvana is exactly unbinding from clinging to conditioned phenomena.
    As such it is unborn, undying, deathless, unconditioned, beyond "the world".

I agree with everything else you say, just not how you think of Nirvana.
    Honestly it seems like you reify Nirvana, making it out to be something of itself that you directly experience, rather than the experience of emptiness and resultant non-craving that follows. Nirvana is not something you're going to see in meditation, but the result of what you don't see (a self, permanence, anything to grasp).
    We're rather close on our thinking other than this crucial point. That's something. ;)
  • Cloud: The cessation of our craving the conditioned is only possible by realizing 'that' which is empty of the conditioned, namely, nirvana.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's like I understand where you're coming from but don't know how to lead you from there to here. You're adding a roadblock or something extra to what is otherwise straightforward. Realizing emptiness is itself cause for unbinding. It is the fact that conditioned phenomena are transient and empty that allows for unbinding, because conditioned phenomena are always like this and we can see this directly in meditation. If you'd like, consider your "Nirvana" to be "Emptiness", as it's the realization of emptiness that brings about what we call Nirvana.

Realize Emptiness = Realize Buddha-Nature = Realize Nirvana

Go ahead and look for this Nirvana... when you see there's nothing there, that will be Nirvana. :D And that's anything but a joke. Just look.
  • Cloud: Conditioned phenomena do not allow for any so-called unbinding if we tenaciously cling to them being unable to perfectly realize the unconditioned. What the adept strives to see and to know is the unconditioned—he or she already knows the conditioned. It is impermanent and painful.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, It is exactly not-clinging to conditioned phenomena that is unbinding. We cease clinging by realizing that there's nothing to cling to... we don't need to find "something", we need to find exactly nothing whatsoever to grasp. Emptiness. This is what unbinding is all about. That is Nirvana. This is what meditation shows us. We can conceptualize all we want about Nirvana, but it's not anything other than cessation of craving. It is "nirodha". The experience of it is indescribable because it's the opposite of the craving mind we have now, but what it is is definitely knowable and clear.

The adept should not believe they know the "conditioned" in the first place. They should meditate to see the true nature of the conditioned, and seeing this emptiness they will let go and experience Nirvana. We think we know the world already and so we're seeking for something else, but we do *not* know the world. That is exactly why we are suffering, because we haven't penetrated the nature of "this". Just intellectually understanding that things are impermanent and not-self is not enough.

It's a moot point perhaps. If one spends their time looking for Nirvana in meditation, they still won't find it, and not finding it or anything else will lead to Nirvana. So meditation is the answer in this case. With that, I leave this conversation (if it's not clear by now, it won't become clear by talking about it).
  • Cloud: Nirvana is not an intransitive verb like unbinding. It is a real state that one achieves. E.g, "unagitated, the very self (paccattam) surely attains complete nibbana (parinibbana) (S.iii.53–54). And yes we do see (passati) something, it is the unconditioned where the conditioned is not present. In the Udanatthakatha we read:

"On account the fact that nibbana’s own nature is that of being unconditioned. For therein no trace, even, of conditioned dhammas is witnessed" (trans. Masefield).

On the other hand, seeing that conditioned things like the five skandhas are empty and barren is not nirvana. The adept has still not directly seen the unconditioned. He is still safeguarding the truth that nirvana is a positive attainable state.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Porpoise: Mainstream or pop Buddhism is not Buddhism. Here is a sample of mainstream Buddhism:

This is quite laughable.
    @Songhill, what tradition are you from? That quotation is consistent with the heart sutra.
    E.g, "unagitated, the very self (paccattam) surely attains complete nibbana (parinibbana) (S.iii.53–54).

He is still safeguarding the truth that nirvana is a positive attainable state.
    I don't think paccattam is referring to "self", but rather pointing to nibbbana as an individual rather than universal experience.

And nibbana can be expressed in both postive and negative terms.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    @porpoise, How would you put nibbana negatively? If nibbana is the cessation of suffering, with suffering being negative of course, then nibbana is positive.
    @porpoise, How would you put nibbana negatively? If nibbana is the cessation of suffering, with suffering being negative of course, then nibbana is positive.
    By "negative" I meant defined by negation or absence, not in the perjorative sense, eg absence of suffering, absence of the taints, unbinding etc.

Have a look at this list:
    http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=33_synonyms_for_Nibbana
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yeah but you can't just say cessation or absence... that has no context. It's always cessation of something, and that something is negative, which makes nibbana positive. :) We can't define nibbana by the verb without its object. That'd be like saying cessation of violence is negative because it's an absence.
    Mainstream or pop Buddhism is not Buddhism.
    ????

• Porpoise: I have read the passage in Pali. paccattam is one of those terms the 'self-deniers' don't want the newbies to know about. There are about 65 other such compounds in Pali. So why are they never discussed? I think I know the answer.

Western Buddhists who are self-deniers don't like to read the good stuff. It's too bad. Did you know that in 1939 the head of the state supported Samgharaja in Thailand published essays in which he argued that nirvana is the Self or atman? This was somewhat like the Pope admitting the Gnostic Christians were right.