Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness - NEW, 202-Style.....

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2006 in Philosophy
Name one thing you did today that you were honestly and truly mindful of doing.

-bf

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Yoga and Meditating. Do those count?
  • edited May 2006
    Oh, I thought of another one...snuggling with my daughter in bed before getting up for the day.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Sure, those count.

As long as you were truly and honestly mindful when doing them.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Sure was! So what about you? Picking your nose does not count...neither does going to the bathroom.
    edited May 2006
    I didn't meditate yet today... I was too busy picking my nose. I had to use my thumb and some pliers.

But... I did take the time and spent some time thinking about people that I truly care about today... and some time to think good thoughts about people that I don't like. In fact, I really f*#king hate them sometimes.

But... there is a passage in the Dhammapada that goes:
    "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred."
    "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred."

Which is how I find myself at times, I am ashamed to say. So, I spend time wishing good things on these people (person) trying to be heedful.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    I am with you on that one....there is someone in my life who I really, really, really dislike, and are for good reason! But I have been trying harder to send that particular person some loving thoughts and to think kind things about him, which is NOT easy.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I didn't meditate yet today... I was too busy picking my nose. I had to use my thumb and some pliers.

.....Makes a change from the cold-chisel and the 5lb club-hammer....

I was Mindful today whilst, of all things, I washed up.
    If fifteen minutes of housework could have been described as sporadically blissful (intespersed with Bringing the Mind Home) these fifteen minutes were it. :)
  • edited May 2006
    Does "washed up" mean "cleaned the house"?
    edited May 2006
    I'm still thinking of you washing up, Freddie...

Hot water...
    Soapy...
    Skin slick and clean
    Oh crap... why is Nick walking into my fantasy of you in the shower!?!?! It ain't pretty!!!!!!

Ahhhh! My eyes are burning!!!!!

200 lbs!!!!!!

The hamster!?!?!?!!

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    No, it means -
    Stoodoverasinkofhotosapywaterwashingplatescutlerandfilthygreasysaucepansandcussingintheendbecausemyrubberglovehadaholeinit.....

cleaning the house comes in June.

Maybe.

If I feel like it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Snuggling and talking with the cats, making tea, taking my meds, and talking to my dad. And I'm sure a few other things but definitely not yesterday when I was gorging on chocolate. I was mindful for about 10% of that whole extravaganza.

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    alil red flag always goes up when im talkin to people.. ( to be mindful )
    i thoroughly enjoy that!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    So, now that we know how mindful you all are, why not tell us precisely and very specifically, with identifiable physiological details, in what way you are different when you imagine you are doing something "mindfully"? Or do you just mean that you concentrated on what you were doing? Is that what you mean by 'mindful'? Did this mindful state reveal the treasures of the Dharma? Did your mind still to a diamond point? Did it free you from the stress of samsara? Did you hear your blood moving in your veins and the work of your endocrine glands, the growth of flowers or the death of your skin cells? Because all that is going on while we fool ourselves that we are awake and aware.
  • edited May 2006
    well for me......
    walkin up the stairs- mindfully is being aware of my feet being placed on the step,my legs moving and feeling the muscles in my body as they move ( one never trips this way )lol

eating mindfully-chewing, tasting,swallowing, not talking while im eating and the job done
    very slowly and enjoyable to the max ( one never chokes this way )lol

talkin to people-listening,watching their smiles ,( smiles can be sarcastic, sad, heartful etc. )looking in their eyes, watching expressions, feeling where they are coming from ,enjoying their words( one gets a real sense for someone )

when outside walking.. im aware of my body moving and feet etc. but as a whole
    im mindful of my surroundings.. the birds, the lawnmowers, the colour of the grass etc.
    surroundings are secondary , im more mindful of me taking steps.
    edited May 2006
    So, now that we know how mindful you all are, why not tell us precisely and very specifically, with identifiable physiological details, in what way you are different when you imagine you are doing something "mindfully"? Or do you just mean that you concentrated on what you were doing? Is that what you mean by 'mindful'? Did this mindful state reveal the treasures of the Dharma? Did your mind still to a diamond point? Did it free you from the stress of samsara? Did you hear your blood moving in your veins and the work of your endocrine glands, the growth of flowers or the death of your skin cells? Because all that is going on while we fool ourselves that we are awake and aware.

We're all working on it Simon...I think that only an Enlightened mind can be as aware as you describe...But occasionally, for a fleeting, momentary glimpse, on that rare occasion, something of the kind shimmers in me, and I catch a barely discernible glimpse into the Natural Great Perfection.

Thank you for the reminder.
    edited May 2006

Actually... what happened to me during my response to this question was:

When I was thinking of those that I care about - and those that I don't - I was evaluating myself to see if what I was doing actually fell in step with what Buddha taught. I was thinking of the teachings of the Dhammapada. I was wondering if I do show compassion like we talk about here. I was thinking of my interaction with people and how anger affects me. Are my actions truly practicing the teachings of Buddha? Taking the time to really think about, be mindful of and evaluate.
    The state of my body was really not my concern at that point. I was focused on something else. Now I just have to learn to be able to do all of these things simultaneously. Or did Buddha do that? Was he concerned about glands and skin cells and the growth of flowers when teaching his fellow man?

Good questions.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    In the Christian scriptures, there is a description (poetic but striking) of mindfulness. It is, of course, ascribed to the Supreme Being. It takes meditative attention to realise that it is part of what is waiting for us when we reach a point of true mindfulness:
    Not one (sparrow) falls to the ground without your Father knowing.
    Matthew 10:29

For some of us, the descriptions of perfection that are attributed to the Father are our own inheritance to come into.
  • edited May 2006
    I mindfully kissed my nephew while he’s sleeping. He often came to sleep over with me for the weekend, we usually had a great time together, I played mostly what he wanted to play. He’s also so into my bedtime stories, which was a mix of the fantasies I had as a kid. It might be weird, but back then I made up and told bedtime stories to myself, not out loud though :). So, it was somewhat a mix and what I had and what I saw him watched on television combined together for a very fantasy a kid could have.

So usually after he slept, I would kiss him on his cheek several time. Today though, as I kissed him, I somehow recalled reading Yogamama mindfully snuggling her daughter in bed, I then slowed myself down and kissed him mindfully. For that moment, I knew that I’m mindful and I was feeling the love for him. So I wanted to share my experience to this thread. Though, after that, I said to myself I want to mindfully kiss him again, I then got that self-conscious started. I realized that this was what happened to me when I tried to be mindful before, I was telling myself I GOTTA be mindful doing this and that, in fact those thoughts lead me to being self-conscious when I’m doing this and that, I was judging myself during the process.

So mindfulness comes naturally when I don’t try?
    edited May 2006
    ro10, seeking friend,

It is my opinion that 'mindfulness' is the natural state which is obscured by the process of living and the resistance of the ego to what seems to be melting into the universe and a passing-away of self.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    ro10 wrote:
    I mindfully kissed my nephew while he’s sleeping. He often came to sleep over with me for the weekend, we usually had a great time together, I played mostly what he wanted to play. He’s also so into my bedtime stories, which was a mix of the fantasies I had as a kid. It might be weird, but back then I made up and told bedtime stories to myself, not out loud though :). So, it was somewhat a mix and what I had and what I saw him watched on television combined together for a very fantasy a kid could have.

So usually after he slept, I would kiss him on his cheek several time. Today though, as I kissed him, I somehow recalled reading Yogamama mindfully snuggling her daughter in bed, I then slowed myself down and kissed him mindfully. For that moment, I knew that I’m mindful and I was feeling the love for him. So I wanted to share my experience to this thread. Though, after that, I said to myself I want to mindfully kiss him again, I then got that self-conscious started. I realized that this was what happened to me when I tried to be mindful before, I was telling myself I GOTTA be mindful doing this and that, in fact those thoughts lead me to being self-conscious when I’m doing this and that, I was judging myself during the process.

So mindfulness comes naturally when I don’t try?

YES!! You did it!!

:cheer: :woowoo: :woowoo:

:lol::lol:

Beautiful post, Andy!! Just beautiful! Your nephew is a very lucky little boy to have such a wonderful, caring and loving uncle.

You not only succeeded in practicing mindfulness but you also practiced compassion and it all came naturally because that's what's inside you to begin with. The outer layers peeled away in the presence of your nephew and your inner wisdom and loving heart shone through. That's what it's all about!! Peeling back the outer layers we've developed over our lifetimes and getting to the Buddhanature inside us and letting it shine like a warm and loving light.

I felt great joy reading your post, Andy. You made my day.
    Thank you.

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    It is my opinion that 'mindfulness' is the natural state which is obscured by the process of living and the resistance of the ego to what seems to be melting into the universe and a passing-away of self.

Simon , I’m sorry but I’m not quite catching what you’ve said.

I am still confused over the whole mindfulness issue. So here are some of what I understand of mindfulness through reading, please feel free to criticize, fix my view as I’m trying to learn. Thank you!

1) Mindfulness let you live in the present and experience life in the moment, there is no past or future. A mindful person wouldn’t recall any memory in the past, even if it’s a pleasant one. He also doesn’t dwell ahead into the future.

2) Mindfulness in daily life should come naturally with little effort and need a firm formal meditation background to back it up, trying too much to be mindful causes self-conscious which is the opposite of being mindful.

3) Mindfulness is not just knowing what you’re doing, but started with a good intention. For example, if a robber is robbing the bank but he knows what he’s doing, he was not mindful. A person helping other and putting his whole heart into it, he is mindful in the process.

4) Mindfulness let you look at the self objectively without judgement, like a scientist. That way insight is achieved.

Are those view correspond to Right Mindfulness in the Noble Eightfold Path?

The reason I wanted to practice mindfulness is to gain insight, to improve myself. Though as much as I want to be mindful and gain insight, I am being self-conscious when trying to be mindful. In fact, yesterday I was thinking about mindfulness again, and then got insecure for a little while. So I tried to apply compassion to myself, my speech was like: This will change, my wrong perspective will also change, be gentle to myself; it does help a little and later on when I chatted and had a good time with a friend, I felt good again.

So my yesterday thoughts that lead to insecurity were some like this: “Compassion is good, that is when genuinely caring for others, there is less focus in one own self and one feel more blessed. But compassion is taught in all other religions whereas meditation and mindfulness are Buddhism unique and it is the ultimate path to wisdom. I need wisdom do direct my compassion in the right way. Mindfulness is something I have to master, sooner or later”

Right now though, I just free myself, then I’m good. That is I eat and watch TV at the same time, drink beer with friends, enjoy a good movie, have a good time, recall some good memory, etc. Though I wish to pay attention more to people around me and apply compassion when I can. I tried also to have 10 minutes sitting meditation at night and afterward wish for my mother recent constant coughing to be better, and everyone peace of mind, and finally for myself to have right knowledge.

What do you think? Feel free to give me any advice. Thanks.

~Andy
  • edited May 2006
    We are all learning Buddhists, but some of us are 'newer' than others....so here goes a newbie question:

Can mindfulness mean different things in different scenarios?

As I am reading these posts from the beginning, I can relate to Yogamama and Bf's trying to think of loving-kind thoughts to someone whom I REALLY do not care for. I am trying REALLY hard to not let this person aggrevate me and understand his actions, speech, and intention. This is conscious mindfulness for me.

I can also relate to Andy's natural mindfulness as I have 6 nieces and nephews that I have similar experiences with...mindfulness and loving-kindness come so natural.

Both degrees of mindfulness are positive ones...but are either of them the closer one to
    Right Mindfulness?
    edited May 2006
    Right Mindfulness is simply Being in the Moment.... and observing everything that is happening, but letting each moment bloom fully and you being conscious in it. Whatever is happening on the exterior, you are simply There, with it.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2006
    ro10,

I am not sure if I understand your questions as well as I think I do, but I would like to try and answer them anyway. If my answers seem helpful, then please keep them in mind. If, however, my answers do not seem helpful, then please forget about them. I think that you have raised some very important question, and I would like to offer my perspective.

1.) The Buddha generally defines sati (mindfulness) as "keeping something in mind". That is all it really means. So, when we are being mindful of the body, we are simply remembering to keep the body in mind. Now, sampajañña (alertness, presensce of mind) is the alertness of an experience. We can combine these two to create sati-sampajañña, which is "mindfulness and clarity of consciousness". These two terms often go hand in hand in the Suttas.

2.) Meditation strengthens mindfulness. The more you practice mindfulness, such as anapanasati (mindfulness of breathing), the easier it will be to maintain. Mindfulness doesn't really "happen" naturally because our defilements actually prevent it.

3.) Sati (mindfulness) is simply keeping something in mind. Samma-sati (Right Mindfulness) is mindfulness that is based upon Right View, Right Intentions, Right Speech, Right Action, and Right Livelihood, etc. A robber can be mindful of "robbing", however, that is not Right Mindfulness. A person helping others and putting his whole heart into it is doing much more than being mindful. They are also cultivating things like effort, alertness, various intentions, etc.

4.) Not exactly. Sati (mindfulness) doesn't judge, but it does make being judicious possible. We certainly don't want to be judgmental in our practice, but we do want to make careful observation and judicious decisions. Being judgmental means that you make a decision without any really insight in the matter, whereas being judicious means that you really make an informed decision based upon all the facts. To really use mindfulness properly, we have to frame our experience within the framework of the Four Noble Truths. Not only do we have to pay attention to our experience, but we also have to use what we learn skillfully for the purpose of ending suffering.

Let me use anapanasati for an example. To develop jhana (meditative absorption), we not only need sati-sampajañña (mindfulness and clarity of consciousness), but we need to have vitakka (directed thought) and vicara (evaluation) as well. If we notice that the breath is restricted or tight, we don't just want to be mindful and aware of that. We also want to make changes to the breath, to make it more comfortable. In that way our mind settles down and becomes absorbed within its object (i.e. the breath). The role of sati (mindfulness) is to remind us to stick with the breath, to keep it in mind so that we are able to evaluate it, and make it more comfortable.

The more we practice mindfulness, the stronger it becomes. Soon it will begin show its benefits. One of those benefits is being more aware of our intentions before we act upon them. This helps us to make better and better decisions. We also will begin to have better progress in our meditations. We will gain more samantha (tranquility) and develop more panna (wisdom) by having a strong, calm, penetrating mind. Mindfulness isn't just an end in itself, it is a tool that we must utilize if we are to further our practice.

I would like to stress that one should never feel insecure, or worry about their initial lack of mindfulness. We all start out that way. Even the Buddha had to develop his practice of mindfulness before his profound Awakening. That is why we must also cultivate khanti (patience), and karuna (compassion) for ourselves. We all want to be happy, and this practice takes time. So, we endure what we can endure, forgive where we are able to forgive, relinquish what we are ready to relinquish, realize that there is work to be done, and motivate ourselves to begin this amazing journey of discovery.

Those are my thoughts about it anyway.

Sincerely,

Jason
    edited May 2006
    Whilst I think that you make valuable points, Jason, although I do think that your first point is a liitle faux naif:
    1.) The Buddha generally defines sati (mindfulness) as "keeping something in mind". That is all it really means. So, when we are being mindful of the body, we are simply remembering to keep the body in mind. Now, sampajañña (alertness, presensce of mind) is the alertness of an experience. We can combine these two to create sati-sampajañña, which is "mindfulness and clarity of consciousness". These two terms often go hand in hand in the Suttas.
    To quote Jack Kornfield:
    (H)ealing takes place when we begin to bring the power of awareness and loving attention to each area of our life with the systematic practice of mindfulness. The Buddha spoke of cultivating awareness in four fundamental aspects of life that he called the Four Foundations of Mindfulness. These areas of mindfulness are: awareness of the body and senses, awareness of the heart and feelings, awareness of the mind and thoughts, and awareness of the principles that govern life. (In Sanskrit these principles are called the dharma, or the universal laws.)

The development of awareness in these four areas is the basis for all of the Buddhist practices of insight and awakening.

(from A Path With Heart)

I think that, as in many other areas, we need to be careful to distinguish between mindfulness as part of the practice of the Noble Eighfold Path and mundane 'paying attention'. It is far wider and more counter-intuitive.

As an example: imagine that you decide to engage in helping to feed the homeless. From my own experience of the St Mungo soup runs in London, you will meet some pretty 'unpleasant' people: they swear at you, they smell bad and they are aggressive. Only by application of the principles of Right Mindfulness and compassion can you continue to embrace the 'ungrateful'. This takes you far beyond simply paying attention.

For those who are not yet ready to put the Buddhist principle of interbeing into practice, the poet Rilke shows us the way in which we can begin to praise the 'unpraiseworthy' which is yet another way into the state where loving-kindness is shared not only with those who are easy to love.
    edited May 2006
    Simon,

The exact defintion that the Buddha gives for the word sati (mindfulness) is:
    "And what is the faculty of mindfulness? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, is mindful, highly meticulous, remembering & able to call to mind even things that were done & said long ago. He remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves... the mind in & of itself... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. This is called the faculty of mindfulness. - SN XLVIII.10

This leads us into the teachings on satipatthana (foundations of mindfulness):
    The word "satipatthana" is the name for an approach to meditation aimed at establishing sati, or mindfulness. The term sati is related to the verb sarati, to remember or to keep in mind. It is sometimes translated as non-reactive awareness, free from agendas, simply present with whatever arises, but the formula for satipatthana doesn't support that translation. Non-reactive awareness is actually an aspect of equanimity, a quality fostered in the course of satipatthana. The activity of satipatthana, however, definitely has a motivating agenda: the desire for Awakening, which is classed not as a cause of suffering, but as part of the path to its ending (see SN LI.15). The role of mindfulness is to keep the mind properly grounded in the present moment in a way that will keep it on the path. To make an analogy, Awakening is like a mountain on the horizon, the destination to which you are driving a car. Mindfulness is what remembers to keep attention focused on the road to the mountain, rather than letting it stay focused on glimpses of the mountain or get distracted by other paths leading away from the road. - Translator's Introduction to DN 22

While these terms are all interrelated, "sati" itself is actually quite simplistic.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. It is good to see you again.
  • edited May 2006
    ro10 wrote:
    Simon , I’m sorry but I’m not quite catching what you’ve said.

I am still confused over the whole mindfulness issue. So here are some of what I understand of mindfulness through reading, please feel free to criticize, fix my view as I’m trying to learn. Thank you!

1) Mindfulness let you live in the present and experience life in the moment, there is no past or future. A mindful person wouldn’t recall any memory in the past, even if it’s a pleasant one. He also doesn’t dwell ahead into the future.

2) Mindfulness in daily life should come naturally with little effort and need a firm formal meditation background to back it up, trying too much to be mindful causes self-conscious which is the opposite of being mindful.

3) Mindfulness is not just knowing what you’re doing, but started with a good intention. For example, if a robber is robbing the bank but he knows what he’s doing, he was not mindful. A person helping other and putting his whole heart into it, he is mindful in the process.

4) Mindfulness let you look at the self objectively without judgement, like a scientist. That way insight is achieved.

Are those view correspond to Right Mindfulness in the Noble Eightfold Path?

~Andy

Andy,

I sincerely hope my comments can help you in your efforts and don't overly confuse you due to a dissimilarity of view. On your first point, I think in some ways you have it actually backwards. The word we refer to as mindfulness here is "sati" and as Elohim well pointed out, it means generally holding something in mind, or attention. It also carries the meaning of memory and recollection. So, not only is memory not excluded from the meaning of sati, but to my sense it refers to a practice of paying attention to something that is not necessarily immediately apparent to your normal consciousness, or bringing the mind back away from its current habitual tendency to go out and form itself to the senses and khandhas. .
    "Recollection" here is an excellent approximate word for sati because it carries several useful layers of meaning, among them a basic sense of "bringing back together" which provides the key link between sati and samadhi. Of interest to me is that in the Catholic contemplative tradition, they use the word "Recollection" to indicate a practice of keeping awareness of the presence of God within amidst all experiences. Though we don't necessarily believe in the catholic God, it is possible to see a striking parallel in the Buddha's teaching on mindfulness.

On your second point, I can partly agree, and I feel that one practices formal meditation as a way of creating an insular situation for you to familiarize yourself with sati. It is like a tree growing in your backyard. At first it is a tiny seedling, and it takes care and attention to make it grow and avoid trampling it. This means it affects and distracts from your daily activities (by analogy, mowing the lawn, you have to be carefully aware of where the seedling is). So, it is true, the distraction required will cause you to be divided in daily life when sati is not sufficiently strong but you attempt to practice it, so it is better to strengthen it in formal practice and allow it to be present in a more natural way as it grows. As you develop sati, it becomes like an internal presence that is almost tangible in a difficult to describe way. It becomes like a sapling, which still requires care but is a stronger and more evident presence in the backyard, and can stand a little better on its own without constant attention, but still requires some care. Further development of sati becomes like a strong fully grown tree that will provide shade (in your day to day activities it becomes a cooling refuge that is always there for you) and even, if you so desire, a sturdy structure to climb to get a higher perspective on things (this means the development of jhana).

Your third point, I think, I am sorry to contradict you but I think both cases are not necessarily Buddhist mindfulness in the strictest sense (that is to say "right mindfulness") because they are what you could call extroverted (kammic) activities. In other words, I think you are actually partly right, but we have to redefine "good intention" as not just kammic good (following rules of moral right and wrong) but the kind of good that is solely conducive to the culmination of the eightfold path, samma samadhi, in other words the "highest good". So in this way "samma" means "right" but only in the highest way possible, more "in accordance with the ultimate goal" rather than "kammically good". This is a point that is difficult to communicate, I hope you can understand my clumsy attempt to explain.

Your fourth point sounds fairly true, except that we become involved in intricacies of philosophy on what self is. Because I believe truthfully you cannot look at the self, and this is part of the meaning of non-self. What you can look at is non-self, so what mindfulness does is be able to be aware of non-self (in other words the khandhas, the senses) without disturbing the activity of recollection, which is a kind of rebounding and holding at center the mind's habitual tendency to go out away from center. To be completely without judgement is to have equanimity, which is a stability of mind which is quite beyond the stage of only developing sati and is part of jhana. So sati does imply a kind of judgement which means you are valuing one kind of activity (centering) over another (extroversion), as a practice aspiring to higher learning (insight).

It is also worthwhile to know of the "ten recollections" because, though mindfulness of breath (which is only one of them) is much talked about, these others are also valid meditation practices, and do count legitimately as sati. All these things have the flavor of not being things you normally pay attention to in everyday awareness, in other words they are not always immediately apparent but rather are wholesome things to use as tools of recollecting the mind. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/recollections.html

In short, I would answer the original question to say that I did not do anything mindfully.

(but rather was mindful in spite of doing things)
    in friendliness,
    V
  • edited May 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    I would like to stress that one should never feel insecure, or worry about their initial lack of mindfulness. We all start out that way. Even the Buddha had to develop his practice of mindfulness before his profound Awakening. That is why we must also cultivate khanti (patience), and karuna (compassion) for ourselves. We all want to be happy, and this practice takes time. So, we endure what we can endure, forgive where we are able to forgive, relinquish what we are ready to relinquish, realize that there is work to be done, and motivate ourselves to begin this amazing journey of discovery.

Those are my thoughts about it anyway.

Sincerely,

Jason

And here I thought I knew what "being mindful" really meant. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.

Anyways...thanks for the above post, Jason. Very helpful. You all have given me lots of great information regarding "mindfulness".
    edited May 2006
    ro10,

I would also like to point out the reason for practicing mindfulness in the first place. I did not really touch upon this in my first post, but I think that it is worth elaborating. Mindfulness is really about establishing our awareness in the present, not because the present is some magical place or necessarily wonderful, but because that is where there is work to be done. If we have an unskillful intention, it arises in the present. If we act upon an unskillful intention, we act upon it in the present. If we have a skillful intention, it arises in the present. If we act upon a skillful intention, we act upon it in the present. Mindfulness keeps us centered right here, right on the object of our awareness in the present moment. In this way we can observe our actions, and evaluate them accordingly. The more we refine this mindfulness to subtler and subtler levels of consciousness, the more skillful we become. This is very important in the beginning stages of our practice all the way through to Nibbana (Liberation, Unbinding). That is why the Path is sometimes called the kamma (intentional actions) leading to the ending of kamma, because we intentional shape our experience. Without mindfulness, we would simply be at the mercy of our defilements (i.e. greed, hatred, and delusion).

:)

Jason
    edited May 2006
    Yoda,

You're welcome. I am glad that you found something helpful. But don't forget to compare what I've said to the Buddha's own words, and test it our for yourself first. Don't just take my word for it, because I could always be wrong. I am still learning as well.

Jason
    edited May 2006
    All,

Whenever I discuss mindfulness practice or meditation, I always try to encourage a consistent effort, even if it's only for a few minutes a day.

The mind is generally weak, unattentive, and easily distracted because we often do not practice basic mindfulness. Especially in our modern society, where everything is expected to be fast, faster, or light-speed. In our "civilized" culture, we have been actively cultivating shorter and shorter attention spans. As an example, the "MTV style of editing" has really taken hold in American television and cinema these days. We have quick, fast-paced images and dialogues strung together in such rapid succession that it doesn't even give the viewer enough time to take in all that they are experiencing. The mind can become so agitated that waiting through even a minute of commercials can seem unbearable. This is just the thing for a mind fermenting with greed, hatred, and delusion.

Instead of promoting a judicious approach to our daily lives, this approach promotes a more judgmental "first impression" attitude towards our experience. Problems, and hence suffering, then begin to arise because quite often those judgments are wrong. But, we never really stick with anything long enough to notice and really let it sink in (i.e. insight). As a result, the five hindrances gain strength because we are increasingly more impatient, restless, and mentally agitated. This is exactly the kind of environment where they thrive. That is why the jhanas temporarily subdue the hindrances, because the hindrances are temporarily deprived of their sustenance. They are unable to arise for as long as the mind is calm, concentrated, and free from agitation.

Is it really any wonder that we have some trouble keeping sustained attention on the breath, or anything else for that matter? Mindfulness is just like a muscle in that it will grow stronger the more it is used, and it will grow weaker the more it is neglected. The initial stages of mindfulness practice are often the hardest for most people. Just as when you first begin to work out your muscles at the gym, it's difficult, it can hurt, it doesn't seem like very much fun, and the benefits are not immediately apparent. However, it does get easier, and the benefits do become more apparent as time goes on. As the mind gets used to this new regimen of being continuously aware of its object (physical or mental), it will gradually adjust, and if consistently practiced, becomes almost effortless.

Basically, the moral of this little tangent is to really keep a consistent practice, because mindfulness is an invaluable part of the Buddha's Path.

Sincerely,

Jason
  • edited May 2006
    Thank you for the replies. I’ll look at them more thoroughly when I have more time. Now I have to study for the upcoming finals. But I’m unsure whether to continue practice daily mindfulness, as I’m afraid I will be further drifted away from the path.

Here’s my situation. I don’t know if I’ll be able to clearly describe it. But here goes. For a while, I have always tried to practice daily mindfulness. I actually tried to be aware of EVERYTHING I do for EVERY single moment through out the day. Sometime I think it’s good, like walking alone the distance from the house to the car, paying attention to the surroundings and feeling the fresh air was good. Though sometime, I just felt like a robot, so mechanical. For example, when I was trying to staying focus on something, then I noticed I want to know the time, I refocused my mind into watching my hand raise up and look at the time on the watch. I felt restricted. I also feel some funs I used to had were gone, I mentioned before I didn’t feel the excitation and fun that I used to have with my nephew when I persisted keeping awareness of what I’m doing.

I’ve been pointed out that I was just being self-conscious, continue doing so would result in being neurotic. So currently I stopped practice daily mindfulness. In my previous post, I described what I’m doing as of recent. Though I feel free now, as opposed to the restricted, controlled feeling I had when trying to pratice daily mindfulness, reading some of the post here get me to want to start the practice again. But I’m too afraid that I will waste my time going on the wrong path again. Should I wait until some basic foundation is developed? What is that foundation? When is the approriate time? I don’t know what to do. I need some practical advice of what I should do, baby step? Thanks.

~Andy
    edited May 2006
    ro10,

The Pali term for meditation is bhavana: development. It's a shorthand word for the development of skillful qualities in the mind. Bhavana is a type of karma — the intentional activity ultimately leading to the end of karma — but karma nonetheless. This point is underlined by another Pali term for meditation: kammatthana, the work at hand; and by a Thai idiom for meditation: "to make an effort." These terms are worth keeping in mind, to counterbalance the common assumption that meditation is an exercise in inaction or in passive, all-encompassing acceptance. Actually, as described in the Pali texts, meditation is a very pro-active process. It has an agenda and works actively to bring it about. This can be seen in the Pali description of how right mindfulness is fostered through satipatthana.

Satipatthana is often translated as "foundation of mindfulness," which gives the impression that it refers to an object of meditation. This impression is reinforced when you see the four satipatthanas listed as body, feelings, mind, and mental qualities. But if you look at the texts, you find that they teach satipatthana as a process, a way of establishing (upatthana) mindfulness (sati): hence the compound term. When the texts define the compound, they give, not a list of objects, but four formulas describing an activity.

Here's the first formula:

A meditator remains focused on the body in and of itself — ardent, alert, and mindful — putting aside greed and distress with reference to the world.

Each of the terms in this formula is important. "Remaining focused" can also be translated as "keeping track." This refers to the element of concentration in the practice, as you hold to one particular theme or frame of reference amid the conflicting currents of experience. "Ardent" refers to the effort you put into the practice, trying to abandon unskillful states of mind and develop skillful ones in their stead, all the while trying to discern the difference between the two. "Alert" means being clearly aware of what's happening in the present. "Mindful" means being able to remember or recollect. Sometimes mindfulness is translated as non-reactive awareness, free from agendas, simply present with whatever arises, but the formula for satipatthana doesn't support that translation. Non-reactive awareness is actually part of equanimity, one of many qualities fostered in the course of satipatthana, but the ardency involved in satipatthana definitely has an agenda, a task to be done, while the role of mindfulness is to keep your task in mind.

The task here is twofold: staying focused on your frame of reference, and putting aside any greed and distress that would result from shifting your frame of reference back to the world. This is the meaning of "the body in and of itself." In other words, you try to stay with the experience of the body as it's immediately felt, without referring it to the narratives and views that make up your sense of the world. You stay away from stories of how you have related to your body in the past and how you hope to relate to it in the future. You drop any concern for how your body fits into the world in terms of its beauty, agility, or strength. You simply tune into the body on its own terms — the direct experience of its breathing, its movements, its postures, its elementary properties, and its inevitable decay. In this way you learn how to strip away your assumptions about what does or doesn't lie behind your experience of the body, and gain practice in referring everything to the experience itself.

The same approach applies to the remaining types of satipatthana: focusing on feelings, on mind states, and on mental qualities in and of themselves. At first glance, these may look like new and different meditation exercises, but the Buddha makes clear that they can all center on a single practice: keeping the breath in mind. When the mind is with the breath, all four frames of reference are right there. The difference lies simply in the subtlety of your focus. So when you've developed your skills with the first, most blatant type of satipatthana, you don't have to move far to take up the more subtle ones. Simply stay with the breath and shift your focus to the feelings and mind states that arise from being mindful of the breath, and the mental qualities that either get in the way of your focus or strengthen it. Once you've chosen your frame of reference, you treat it the same way you've been treating the body: taking it as your frame of reference in and of itself, without referring it to stories about yourself or views about the world. You separate feelings — of pleasure, pain, and neither-pleasure-nor-pain — from the stories you normally create around them. You separate states of greed, anger, and delusion from their focal points in the world. In this way you can see them for what they are.

Still, though, you have an agenda, based on the desire for Awakening — a desire that the Buddha classed, not as a cause of suffering, but as part of the path leading to its end. This becomes clearest in the satipatthana focused on mental qualities in and of themselves. You acquaint yourself with the unskillful qualities that obstruct concentration — such as sensual desire, ill will, and restlessness — not simply to experience them, but also to understand them so that you can cut them away. Similarly, you acquaint yourself with the skillful qualities that foster discernment so that you can develop them all the way to release.

The texts call these skillful qualities the seven factors of Awakening and show that satipatthana practice is aimed at developing them all in order. The first factor is mindfulness. The second is called "analysis of qualities": the ability to distinguish skillful from unskillful qualities in the mind, seeing what can be accepted and what needs to be changed. The third factor is persistence — persistence in abandoning unskillful qualities and fostering skillful ones in their place. The texts describe a wide variety of methods to use in this endeavor, but they all come down to two sorts. In some cases, an unskillful quality will disappear simply when you watch it steadily. In other cases, you have to make a concerted effort, actively doing what you can to counteract an unskillful quality and replace it with a more skillful one.

As skillful qualities take charge within you, you see that while skillful thinking leads to no harmful actions, long bouts of it can tire the mind. So you bring your thoughts to stillness, which develops three more of the factors of Awakening: rapture, serenity, and concentration. These provide the mind with a foundation of well-being.

The final factor is equanimity, and its place in the list is significant. Its non-reactivity is fully appropriate only when the more active factors have done what they can. This is true of all the lists in which equanimity is included. It's never listed on its own, as sufficient for Awakening; and it always comes last, after the pro-active factors in the list. This doesn't mean that it supplants them, simply that it joins in their interaction. Instead of replacing them, it counterbalances them, enabling you to step back and see subtle levels of stress and craving that the more pro-active factors may have obscured. Then it makes room for the pro-active factors to act on the newly discovered levels. Only when all levels of stress and craving are gone is the work of both the pro-active and non-reactive sides of meditation done. That's when the mind can be truly agenda-free.

It's like learning to play the piano. As you get more pro-active in playing proficiently, you also become sensitive in listening non-reactively, to discern ever more subtle levels in the music. This allows you to play even more skillfully. In the same way, as you get more skilled in establishing mindfulness on your chosen frame of reference, you gain greater sensitivity in peeling away ever more subtle layers of the present moment until nothing is left standing in the way of total release.

Jason
    edited May 2006
    ro10,

Baby steps:

The technique I'll be teaching is breath meditation. It's a good topic no matter what your religious background. As my teacher once said, the breath doesn't belong to Buddhism or Christianity or anyone at all. It's common property that anyone can meditate on. At the same time, of all the meditation topics there are, it's probably the most beneficial to the body, for when we're dealing with the breath, we're dealing not only with the air coming in and out of the lungs, but also with all the feelings of energy that course throughout the body with each breath. If you can learn to become sensitive to these feelings, and let them flow smoothly and unobstructed, you can help the body function more easily, and give the mind a handle for dealing with pain.

So let's all meditate for a few minutes. Sit comfortably erect, in a balanced position. You don't have to be ramrod straight like a soldier. Just try not to lean forward or back, to the left or the right. Close your eyes and say to yourself, 'May I be truly happy and free from suffering.' This may sound like a strange, even selfish, way to start meditating, but there are good reasons for it. One, if you can't wish for your own happiness, there is no way that you can honestly wish for the happiness of others. Some people need to remind themselves constantly that they deserve happiness — we all deserve it, but if we don't believe it, we will constantly find ways to punish ourselves, and we will end up punishing others in subtle or blatant ways as well.

Two, it's important to reflect on what true happiness is and where it can be found. A moment's reflection will show that you can't find it in the past or the future. The past is gone and your memory of it is undependable. The future is a blank uncertainty. So the only place we can really find happiness is in the present. But even here you have to know where to look. If you try to base your happiness on things that change — sights, sounds, sensations in general, people and things outside — you're setting yourself up for disappointment, like building your house on a cliff where there have been repeated landslides in the past. So true happiness has to be sought within. Meditation is thus like a treasure hunt: to find what has solid and unchanging worth in the mind, something that even death cannot touch.

To find this treasure we need tools. The first tool is to do what we're doing right now: to develop good will for ourselves. The second is to spread that good will to other living beings. Tell yourself: 'All living beings, no matter who they are, no matter what they have done to you in the past — may they all find true happiness too.' If you don't cultivate this thought, and instead carry grudges into your meditation, that's all you'll be able to see when you look inside.

Only when you have cleared the mind in this way, and set outside matters aside, are you ready to focus on the breath. Bring your attention to the sensation of breathing. Breathe in long and out long for a couple of times, focusing on any spot in the body where the breathing is easy to notice, and your mind feels comfortable focusing. This could be at the nose, at the chest, at the abdomen, or any spot at all. Stay with that spot, noticing how it feels as you breathe in and out. Don't force the breath, or bear down too heavily with your focus. Let the breath flow naturally, and simply keep track of how it feels. Savor it, as if it were an exquisite sensation you wanted to prolong. If your mind wanders off, simply bring it back. Don't get discouraged. If it wanders 100 times, bring it back 100 times. Show it that you mean business, and eventually it will listen to you.

If you want, you can experiment with different kinds of breathing. If long breathing feels comfortable, stick with it. If it doesn't, change it to whatever rhythm feels soothing to the body. You can try short breathing, fast breathing, slow breathing, deep breathing, shallow breathing — whatever feels most comfortable to you right now...

Once you have the breath comfortable at your chosen spot, move your attention to notice how the breathing feels in other parts of the body. Start by focusing on the area just below your navel. Breathe in and out, and notice how that area feels. If you don't feel any motion there, just be aware of the fact that there's no motion. If you do feel motion, notice the quality of the motion, to see if the breathing feels uneven there, or if there's any tension or tightness. If there's tension, think of relaxing it. If the breathing feels jagged or uneven, think of smoothing it out... Now move your attention over to the right of that spot — to the lower right-hand corner of the abdomen — and repeat the same process... Then over to the lower left-hand corner of the abdomen... Then up to the navel... right... left... to the solar plexus... right.. left... the middle of the chest... right... left... to the base of the throat... right... left... to the middle of the head...[take several minutes for each spot]

If you were meditating at home, you could continue this process through your entire body — over the head, down the back, out the arms & legs to the tips of your finger & toes — but since our time is limited, I'll ask you to return your focus now to any one of the spots we've already covered. Let your attention settle comfortably there, and then let your conscious awareness spread to fill the entire body, from the head down to the toes, so that you're like a spider sitting in the middle of a web: It's sitting in one spot, but it's sensitive to the entire web. Keep your awareness expanded like this — you have to work at this, for its tendency will be to shrink to a single spot — and think of the breath coming in & out your entire body, through every pore. Let your awareness simply stay right there for a while — there's no where else you have to go, nothing else you have to think about... And then gently come out of meditation.

Jason
    edited May 2006
    'Mindfulness' is often spoken of as if it were, somehow, a particularly 'Buddhist' thing. This is nonsense. Single-pointed attention is at the heart of all disciplines taken seriously.

For some 14 years, I practised fencing (my weapon of choice was foil). I can assure you that mindfulness is essential in every bout. When I am writing, particularly poetry, mind and body are both engaged in the single task of 'getting it down on paper'. A practice of focus on breath is simply, as Elohim says, a way of training but training for what? It is this question which brings intention into the equation - but that's another kettle of bodhisattvas.

For some people, the Buddhist terminology is just too strange but mindfulness in itself remains important. If there are readers here who prefer to consider the matter through another language, here are a couple of books which might help:
    "The Practice of the Presence of God"
    and
    "Turtles All The Way Down"
  • edited May 2006
    So I only need to practice mindfulness of the breath. :bigclap: I'm glad you didn't tell me to practice mindfulness of daily actions. I just hate that slow, restricted feeling I had when trying to focus on EVERYTHING I do. :grin:
  • edited May 2006
    Don't force the breath, or bear down too heavily with your focus. Let the breath flow naturally, and simply keep track of how it feels....
    If you want, you can experiment with different kinds of breathing. If long breathing feels comfortable, stick with it. If it doesn't, change it to whatever rhythm feels soothing to the body. You can try short breathing, fast breathing, slow breathing, deep breathing, shallow breathing — whatever feels most comfortable to you right now...

I didn't get this part, isn't changing the breath to short, fast, slow, etc... the same as controlling the breath?
    edited May 2006
    For some 14 years, I practised fencing (my weapon of choice was foil).

Interesting, Simon.

Epee was my weapon of choice when I did fencing.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Simon,

Mindfulness is not a 'Buddhist' thing per se, but most Buddhists have faith in the idea that the Buddha was the only one who used mindfulness in a way that lead to the complete cessation of suffering. I think that explaining these things via "Buddhist terminology" is actually more helpful for serious practitioners (of Buddhism anyway) because quite often the way the Buddha defined and used certain terms was very specific. Everything that he taught was intricately tied together like the threads of a spider's web, and even though certain points may seem independent of others, in reality they are all interconnected. When taken out of context, the translations of these terms will often take on meanings of their own--meanings quite independent of how the Buddha actually used them. But, those are just my thoughts about it. Everyone probably just thinks I'm being supercilious anyway.

:D

Jason
    edited May 2006
    ro10,

There is an element of control involved, but only enough to bring the breath to a comfortable level. You don't want to force the breath as much as you want to allow it the chance to regulate itself. You see, if the breath is uncomfortable, it will cause distress with in the body. It will prevent the mind from settling down on the object, because the bodily distress will cause agitation in the mind, and visversa. So, the first step is really making the breath comfortable. You also need directed thought and evaluation to attain full mediative absorption. The directed thought would be focusing on the breath, and the evaluation would be making it comfortable. However, since this appears to be quite new to you, I would advised not worrying too much about any of this right now. Simply do what you can to breathe in a comfortable way, and try to maintain that feeling as long as you can without letting your mindfulness wander off. If you notice that your mind has wandered off, simply bring it back to the breath. This will help to strengthen your mindfuless so that it will be ready for whatever arises. I hope this answers your question.

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    By the way Jason, just in case I haven't told you this before, you don't have a supercilious bone in your body.

Sincerely,
    Brigid
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Also, I think this distinction (of not controlling the breath) was made to distinguish it from other yoga practices, such as the pranayama, which actively control the breath in length/duration. These practices are more to control the body's energy than to develop insight. One such practice that I have heard of involves breathing in for a count of 12 , holding the breath for a count of 12, and then breathing out for a count of 12.

I think that the article you quoted was simply saying to try different lengths of breath to see which is the most natural for you. I would imagine that this will vary from sitting to sitting. Also, you will probably find you breath lengthening as you become more relaxed and concentrated.

_/\_
    metta
    edited May 2006
    Jason,

Not supercilious but, unwittingly perhaps, elitist. What you suggest is also what I term "faith-specific fascism". I know that the term is strong but I feel strongly about it.

The logical outcome of your position is to create a hierarchy of practitioners where the old arguments between Pali Canon and the rest of the scriptures become battlegrounds of academic argument. At the bottom of this pyramid will. once again, be the unlettered, the anawim. It will recreate aristocracy.

The Dharma is not the possession of any single language because language is no more than a sketch-map of an interpretation of deep structures. These deep structure can only manifest through 'imageries' among which are the arts and language.

Your suggestion that Pali has a special place ressembles the Islamic attitude to Quranic Arabic, with the belief that only in this language is it truly the Holy Quran.

At the same time, your well-researched and extremely informative posts demonstrate that, at bottom, you believe that the Dharma can - and, I would suggest - must be expounded in English. All your efforts suggest that this is very important to you. If Pali were the only 'code' in which to express the teachings of the Buddha and the Sangha, why take all the trouble that you do?

It is an accident of history that the Buddha Shakyamuni's words were remembered in Pali, although some historians dispute whether he actually spoke it. Why sanctify it?
    edited May 2006
    Whether Pali or Arabic - Buddha, Allah, Krisna or Christ...

For beings so compassionate, omnipotent or enlightened - one would think that they would be a little more far seeing than simply sharing teachings that only had a shelf-life of 500 years or so...

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Simon,

I can understand your point that simple mindfulness is not only not a Buddhist thing but is a basic requirement for success if not basic functioning in all kinds of fields. Just crossing a street successfully requires mindfulness, little to speak of an advanced discipline like flying a fighter jet or practicing surgery. At least, that's the way I think of it.

However, I think it is safe to assume that this discussion is framed in the context of the Buddha's teaching on mindfulness, which is not just ordinary functional mindfulness but it is what he called "right mindfulness". This word samma ("right") goes a long way in distinguishing between ordinary mindfulness and mindfulness connected with the holy life. when the Buddha speaks of "samma sati" ("right mindfulness"), he does so in fairly specific context of the spiritual path he is teaching and does not refer generally to the kind of mindfulness we are all already familiar with in our various functions and disciplines of worldly life. It might help to refigure "samma" or "right" as "in accordance with" (which is a good translation of meaning but clumsier in usage than the simple "right") and our natural next question becomes "in accordance with what?" The easiest answer to that question is "in accordance with the goal". In other words, we are talking about sati that is in accordance with the goal of bringing all eight path factors into alignment with Nibbana, not talking about sati that helps you remember your grocery list or stay finely tuned enough to be a good fencer. That's the distinction. We call it Buddhist not because the idea can't have parallels in other traditions but rather because as Buddhists we have a faith that the Buddha taught this systematic way.

I am glad you recommend a book on the practice of the presence of God, since, though I am not familiar with that particular book, I have been struck by the strength of the parallel to sammasati in this Christian notion of "recollection of the presence of God" (active recollection). I am more familiar with this idea through some of the writings of the late Thomas Merton, who as a Christian monk had an avid interest in Buddhism and Asian religion in general. There's some brief introductory material available on what we could call "Christian Sati" here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12676b.htm

in friendliness,
    V.
  • edited May 2006
    The Buddha's teachings are not in a sealed can on a shelf. "Shelf life" refers to the guarantee of quality in unopened product. The Buddha's teachings have already been "opened," so the life of that product is already out of the hands of the manufacturer. If you open a can of tuna and let it sit out for a few days and it goes bad, it has gone bad because of opening it and letting it sit out, not due to a defect in the canned good; you couldn't complain about shelf life. If the teachings were only predicted to last for five hundred years, it isn't due to some flaw in the teaching but due to predicted adulteration of the teaching by end users.
    edited May 2006
    Vacc...

I wasn't speaking literally of a "shelf-life" - perhaps my slang was innapropriate.

Ultimately, my point is:

These beings or deities that people worship speak of their "truths" being truths. Many stories, tales and parables were designed to match the IQ of the audience - some far surpassed the abilities of even Apostles.

But, I firmly believe that these beings - given that they had something to teach - had the forethought to ensure that their teachings wouldn't die because of something as simple as a language dying.

-bf

P.S. Twinkies probably have the shelf life of nuclear waste! So put that in yer pipe an' smoke it! :)
    edited May 2006
    Simon,

An unwitting elitist who promotes faith-specific fascism? I honestly had no idea that you held such a high opinion of me. Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Just for reference, however, I never said that we should only use Pali. I have stated often enough that Pali is simply what I know in greater detail because the Pali Canon is where I have focused my studies, therefore it is what I use when discussing Buddhism. One could use Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, English, Arabic, Finnish, or anything else for that matter. The language itself was not the point of my posts, it was the meaning behind the terms that what I was referring to.

The point that I was trying to communicate was that whatever language is used, the terminology must carry the same meaning or essence as it does in the various scriptures (Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, etc.). Otherwise, what you are discussing is not Buddhism. Mindfulness in the Buddhist context (whether it is the Pali "sati", Sanskrit "smrti", or whatever) should be defined as how the Buddha used it in reference to the Noble Eightfold Path, not how a certain person feels that it should be defined. If I am not mistaken here, this is a "Buddhist" forum first and foremost.

You consistently misrepresent me by saying I hold Pali in some special place where it is beyond reproach, as if I study and accept nothing else. What you apparently do not understand is that Buddhist terms carry their own meanings, meanings that the Buddha specifically dictated to make them distinct from other sects. Many of the key Buddhist terms that we use today, terms such as Nibbana/Nirvana, kamma/karma, etc., were also used by other teachers in other sects—the difference being the implied meaning and context. The teachings on kamma/karma are one good example. Other sects had their own teachings on kamma/karma, especially the Buddha's contemporary Nigantha Nataputta/Mahavira (founder of the Jains). The Buddha used that term differently than Nigantha Nataputta, which is made clear in the Upali Sutta (MN 56). The Buddha simply showed Upali why the other teaching was incorrect, and why it would not lead to the end of suffering.

Why do I use Pali in my posts? Is it because I think that Pali is a magic language that must remain pure and untouched? No, of course not. I simply feel that using a variety of different languages in my posts would unnecessarily confuse things. I also do not know all the Sanskrit, Chinese, Arabic, or Finnish equivalents for all of the Pali terms that I use to be more "politically correct". My use of Pali is simply to help people reference what I am talking about. Sometimes the Pali/Sanskrit terms do not translate very well into English, so it helps to use them just to let people know what you are referring to so they are able to look them up if they wish. Quite often, the detailed definition really puts the term into perspective, but it might be too long to make it practical to post.

How do I feel about the Pali Canon? I believe that from my personal studies, as well as the work of scholars, the Pali Nikayas are very close to what the Buddha himself taught. Does that mean that the language of Pali is somehow superior? No, because the exact same literature can be found in both Sanskrit and Chinese. Why? Because it was translated into all these various dialects before the major schisms that occured. So, regardless of what language the texts were originally spoken in, they were written down and translated into at least these three separate languages. This is very important because it shows that at one time, these were accepted as being actual teachings of the Buddha (minus the Vinaya and Abhidhamma which is another discussion altogether). There has been a fascinating, yet little know, study of this for some time by various monastics and scholars alike (some of which are Ajahn Sujato, M. Anesaki, Samuel Beal, Bhiksu Thich Minh Chau, etc.). I never said that Pali should be sanctified, nor implied that it should be. What I have always said is that, the Pali Canon is what I have chosen to focus my studies on.

I do not understand why you have such an issue with my study and usage of Pali, but I think that you are completely mistaken in your assumptions. By your logic, you should then fault the Venerable Palzang for studying the various teachings of the Palyul Nyingma school, which are probably in Tibetan and/or Sanskrit. It would also follow that I could accuse you of being elitest because you speak English on this forum, instead of Finnish or Thai. If you weren't previously aware, I have a limited vocabulary, and I simply do not have enough room in my brain for much more than what I currently have. It has taken me years just to remember the few Pali words that I do know.

In light of all this, I think that perhaps it would be better if I were to refrain from commenting on any more threads which you are currently participating on. I do not believe that any further interaction between us would be skillful. I honestly do not know how to relate to a person who feels that my views are elitist, suggesting faith-specific fascism, and will evetually lead to aristocracy. If my usage of Pali is really all that upsetting, I can always share my thoughts elsewhere. I am deeply hurt by your words, as I am simply trying to be helpful. There is only one thing that I can sympathize with: Why do I take all the trouble that I do?

Sincerely,

Jason
  • edited May 2006
    I have found out the problem of me being self-conscious when practicing daily mindfulness. As elohim pointed out, mindfulness is keep something in mind. I didn’t do that. For example, if I’m playing tennis, I should keep playing tennis in mind, but when I go to pick up the balls, I was focusing myself into picking up the ball, so in that moment I forgot the main activity here is to play tennis, picking up the ball is to play tennis, not just merely watching myself picking up the ball. So I was NOT keeping playing tennis in my mind, but rather keeping how I pickup the ball in my mind.

So, that’s what I’ve been doing. I been focusing my mind off the activity that I should keep in mind of. I think the reason I did that was I think I got a misunderstood of the mindfulness concept, it was back a long time when I read the four focus of the mind: body, feeling, mind and mental qualities. I cited the suttat that I read and tried to practice below.
    [2] "Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns that he is walking. When standing, he discerns that he is standing. When sitting, he discerns that he is sitting. When lying down, he discerns that he is lying down. Or however his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it.
    "In this way he remains focused internally on the body in and of itself, or focused externally...unsustained by anything in the world. This is how a monk remains focused on the body in and of itself.
    [3] "Furthermore, when going forward and returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward and looking away...when bending and extending his limbs...when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe and his bowl...when eating, drinking, chewing, and savoring...when urinating and defecating...when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, and remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert.
    "In this way he remains focused internally on the body in and of itself, or focused externally...unsustained by anything in the world. This is how a monk remains focused on the body in and of itself.
    The full link to this sutta is http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/ebsut004.htm

So, there was a time I practiced this. I tried to focus on every detail action that I did like described above. I remember I walked to the refrigerator to get food, the distance from the room to the kitchen I focus on how I walked, then when I got the refrigerator I just opened the door and stare at it, my mind was blank, don’t know what I wanted to get in the first place. Now I figures it was these concept of mindfulness that I’ve been having in my mind, whenever I tried daily mindfulness, I somehow did tried to watch myself like that. So I think I must have misunderstood this sutta somehow, why would it teaches mindfulness that lead one to being self-conscious?

Today, by keeping the right activity in mind, I feel I was on my way to daily mindfulness. Though sometime I still got that watching over myself that made me feel restricted, but I was able to pull my mind back to the main activity. I feel great!

~Andy
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Andy,

That's wonderful! And now you know how each feels differently so you can tell them apart.
    Well done.

Jason,

I must say here that I do not agree with Simon's assessment at all and that all your effort has not been in vain. I really don't know how to tell you how much you've taught me and how much your words stick in my brain. I can recall full sentences that you've written. I don't know why. Perhaps it's the way you express your thoughts. I find your writing to be crystal clear, fair, balanced, and always presented gently and without a trace of arrogance, a trait you have every right to possess but the wisdom not to.

I really have no idea what Simon is trying to say nor why he is trying to say it. I really don't. I find this conflict to be completely unnecessary.

Simon,

I don't, for the life of me, understand how you can accuse Jason, of all people, of elitism and "faith-specific fascism". I repeat your words in order that you may reread them. I fear that you're lashing out. I will try to put this as gently as I can, Simon, because I have no wish to harm you in any way and all I wish for is your continued good health and happiness but your position is one of hypocrisy and I think you're calling the kettle black. I strongly disagree with your assessment of Jason's posts and if my words seem strong, it's because I feel strongly about this. This is so unlike you, gentle pilgrim. What has happened? I'm bewildered and confused by your position.

Brigid