Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why would anyone want to reach Nirvana?

edited May 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I have been reading about Buddhism lately, and I'm sure I have a poor and incomplete understanding of it. One thing I cannot understand though is why anyone would willingly choose to reach nirvana.

The second noble truth states that life is suffering, and that suffering is rooted in attachment or desire; and it seems the noble eightfold path and other Buddhist philosophy is a means of creating detachment.

Yes, life will always include suffering. And materialism plays a role in that. But isn't the concept of nirvana taking this to too far of an extreme?

Anatta, the concept of "true self", does not include your conciousness or memory from what I understand, which Buddhists see as being a constantly refreshing "flux" which is actually quite in line with quantum field theories of the brain.

So the "true self" that is attained in nirvana is not our normal concept of ourself or conciousness, or our memory. It seems to me to be similar to the Taoist "qi" in that it is a generalized sort of life energy than has no individualism or distinct memory beyond what is described above. It is not concious. It is not self-aware. How does this even differ from the matter that composes our bodies?

So exactly why would I want to cease to exist? "I" being perhaps something distinct from the anatta, but real nonetheless.

Life may be suffering, but it isn't all suffering. It is dualistic. I would rather have both suffering and happiness, than nothingness. Perhaps nothingness is an alternative to exclusive suffering, but I don't believe that life is merely suffering.

Perhaps that's selfish, or at the very least, hedonistic. But I can't see rationally why I would want to take the concept of detachment to such an extreme.

The reason I started learning about Buddhism was I felt the philosophical truths and meditation could be used to improve my life; if the ultimate goal is the loss of any self, conciousness, sentience, memory, or identity I don't understand why I'd want to go down that road.

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Why would anyone want to go to Heaven?
  • edited May 2006
    Because at some level most people fear death, perhaps ultimately a fear of the unknown. Heaven is seen I think as a place of eternal life and happiness. Nirvana, as I understand it, differs, because while it is eternal, it is not "eternal life" any more than what is described in the poems "Sailing to Byzantium" or "Ode On a Grecian Urn"; the self, the conciousness, the sentience is lost.

Obviously, one cannot avoid death of the body. But abandonment of samsara for nirvana is voluntary. So why would one choose to do that, if the alternative (samsara) is reincarnation instead of nothingness?

For many years people have used the concept of hell, the opposite of heaven, a place of eternal suffering, to get attention and elicit fear. Perhaps nirvana would be preferable to such a thing. But isn't samsara preferable to either?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Well, no one would want to go to heaven because the only people there are Mormons!

As for "nirvana", what is nirvana anyway? It's not a place to go. In fact, it's right here. So what is it? It's the ending of suffering, getting off the wheel of death and rebirth, constantly cycling through the six realms of existence. You know, not every rebirth is in the human realm where you have the luxury of actually sitting back and contemplating existence. In fact, a human rebirth is extraordinarily rare. When you contemplate all the sentient beings there are on just this one little hunk of rock amongst countless trillions of such planets just in this universe (and the Buddha taught that there are 10,000 myriads of universes, i.e. infinite universes), the number who have such a fortunate rebirth are as numerous as the grains of sand that you can fit on your thumbnail in comparison to all the grains of sand on all the beaches of the world. So that's why people want to attain nirvana. It happens when you've realized that there is no permanent happiness to be achieved in samsara. I don't know why anyone would want to stay trapped in samsara when there's a way out that's been proven time and time again!

And enlightenment has nothing to do with the loss of self. That's a misunderstanding on your part. It has nothing to do with extinction or fading into the void or anything like that.

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    My take on this coming from the point of one new this philosophy is that striving down the path leading to nirvana will reduce my suffering from my desires and give me a better present existance.

The detachment from illusions that I have about what my "self" is would lead to a more complete awareness of the experience of life.

Russell
  • edited May 2006
    Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there is permanent happiness in samsara. I believe the nature of happiness itself is dualistic, at least in this level of existance.

Enlightenment is not the loss of the "true" anatta self, but it is the loss of the "percieved" santana self, right?

From the anatta thread:
    Buddhism does not totally deny the existence of a personality in an empirical sense. It only attempts to show that it does not exist in an ultimate sense. The Buddhist philosophical term for an individual is santana, i.e., a flux or a continuity. It includes the mental and physical elements as well. The kammic force of each individual binds the elements together. This uninterrupted flux or continuity of psycho-physical phenomenon, which is conditioned by kamma, and not limited only to the present life, but having its source in the beginningless past and its continuation in the future — is the Buddhist substitute for the permanent ego or the immortal soul of other religions.
    Whosoever has not penetrated this impersonality of all existence, and does not comprehend that in reality there exists only this continually self-consuming process of arising and passing bodily and mental phenomena, and that there is no separate ego-entity within or without this process, he will not be able to understand Buddhism, i.e. the teaching of the 4 Noble Truths (sacca, q.v.), in the right light. He will think that it is his ego, his personality, that experiences suffering, his personality that performs good and evil actions and will be reborn according to these actions, his personality that will enter into Nibbāna, his personality that walks on the Eightfold Path. Thus it is said in Vis.M. XVI:

"Mere suffering exists, no sufferer is found;
    The deeds are, but no doer of the deeds is there;
    Nibbāna is, but not the man that enters it;
    The path is, but no traveler on it is seen."

"Whosoever is not clear with regard to the conditionally arisen phenomena, and does not comprehend that all the actions are conditioned through ignorance, etc., he thinks that it is an ego that understands or does not understand, that acts or causes to act, that comes to existence at rebirth .... that has the sense-impression, that feels, desires, becomes attached, continues and at rebirth again enters a new existence" (Vis.M. XVII. 117).

So for the life force within us, the anatta, my understanding is that is our "true" self and in an enlightened death enters nirvana.

But the "santana" self is lost, which is the self I was referring to. The santana self is our conciousness, sentience, mental self, memories, right?

So, I, my conciousness, my memories, my sentience, my mind, are all santana and mortal; the part that is eternal, anatta, is none of these things. Anatta seems to me to be more like the carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen that make up our physical bodies; a component of the self.

Why is anatta called the self, when it has no identity? The very concept of self implies sentience and self-awareness. Without sentience it is just another building block for sentience.

So when my body dies physically, according to Buddhism as I understand it, the santana is lost as well. The only reincarnation is that the anatta is used in other life forms-- much like the carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen within my body.
    I don't know why anyone would want to stay trapped in samsara when there's a way out that's been proven time and time again!

The "way out" is the loss of santana though, right? Just because I have a bad day, or I suffer, does not mean I sedate myself into unconciousness or commit suicide, because I know suffering is only a minor aspect of life, and most of it is happiness.

In my day to day existance, I feel the value of the moments of happiness outweights the moments of suffering, and thus the suffering and unpleasant aspects of life are worth the good ones.

The problem as I see it is that nirvana doesn't cease the suffering and give you all happiness, which is more of a "heaven" paradigm. As I understand it, it ceases both, because the anatta is not self-aware and cannot percieve either. Only the santana is self-aware.
    "And is it fitting to regard what is inconstant, stressful, subject to change as: 'This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am'?"

"No, lord."

"Thus, monks, any body whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every body is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...

"Any perception whatsoever...

"Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with the body, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"

That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, the group of five monks delighted at his words. And while this explanation was being given, the hearts of the group of five monks, through not clinging (not being sustained), were fully released from fermentation/effluents.

- SN XXII.59

Why is the eternal cessation of self-awareness cause for someone to rejoice? Because a small minority of the time you suffer?

I'm just having a really hard time seeing the appeal of this over samsara. Samsara may always have suffering, but with suffering there is happiness. And more over, there is sentience.

In the X-Files's later seasons, Agent Dogget is captured in Mexico where his memory is erased by an alien. He fights to get it back, even though he has lived a painful life. Before giving his memory back to him, the alien asks, "Your memories have so much pain... why do you want this?" Dogget answered, "Because it's MY pain."

As long as suffering is not absolute, why would you want to surrender your sentience forever?
  • edited May 2006
    aing wrote:
    My take on this coming from the point of one new this philosophy is that striving down the path leading to nirvana will reduce my suffering from my desires and give me a better present existance.

The detachment from illusions that I have about what my "self" is would lead to a more complete awareness of the experience of life.

Russell

That's my take on it as well; I just worry with what lies at the end of that path.
  • edited May 2006
    Frangible wrote:
    I have been reading about Buddhism lately, and I'm sure I have a poor and incomplete understanding of it. One thing I cannot understand though is why anyone would willingly choose to reach nirvana.

Is it a choice to reach Nirvana, or posibly a result of right action?

The second noble truth states that life is suffering, and that suffering is rooted in attachment or desire; and it seems the noble eightfold path and other Buddhist philosophy is a means of creating detachment.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. There is a path to the cessation of suffering. The eight Fold Path

"seems" above sounds like the beginning of a new mental formation. Be wary of appearances by conditioned definitions of words. Words are only used to describe, a symbol if you will, the word is not the thing.

Yes, life will always include suffering. And materialism plays a role in that. But isn't the concept of nirvana taking this to too far of an extreme?
    It depends on your concept of Nirvana. As I understand it Nirvana is the extinguishing of all dualistic concepts, ie. birth and death. A Koan that is often used is to be asked, "What did your face look like within your Grandmother?"

Anatta, the concept of "true self", does not include your conciousness or memory from what I understand, which Buddhists see as being a constantly refreshing "flux" which is actually quite in line with quantum field theories of the brain.

One of the first stumbling blocks that Westerners often encounter when they learn about Buddhism is the teaching on anatta, often translated as no-self. This teaching is a stumbling block for two reasons. First, the idea of there being no self doesn't fit well with other Buddhist teachings, such as the doctrine of kamma and rebirth: If there's no self, what experiences the results of kamma and takes rebirth? Second, it doesn't fit well with our own Judeo-Christian background, which assumes the existence of an eternal soul or self as a basic presupposition: If there's no self, what's the purpose of a spiritual life? Many books try to answer these questions, but if you look at the Pali Canon -- the earliest extant record of the Buddha's teachings -- you won't find them addressed at all. In fact, the one place where the Buddha was asked point-blank whether or not there was a self, he refused to answer. When later asked why, he said that to hold either that there is a self or that there is no self is to fall into extreme forms of wrong view that make the path of Buddhist practice impossible. Thus the question should be put aside. To understand what his silence on this question says about the meaning of anatta, we first have to look at his teachings on how questions should be asked and answered, and how to interpret his answers.

So the "true self" that is attained in nirvana is not our normal concept of ourself or conciousness, or our memory. It seems to me to be similar to the Taoist "qi" in that it is a generalized sort of life energy than has no individualism or distinct memory beyond what is described above. It is not concious. It is not self-aware. How does this even differ from the matter that composes our bodies?

Self as an seperate entity from the ultimate reality is the illusion to be transended, one cannot become less then they are.

So exactly why would I want to cease to exist? "I" being perhaps something distinct from the anatta, but real nonetheless.

Do you fear losing the concepts that you have clung to thus far?

Life may be suffering, but it isn't all suffering. It is dualistic. I would rather have both suffering and happiness, than nothingness. Perhaps nothingness is an alternative to exclusive suffering, but I don't believe that life is merely suffering.

Exactly, life isn't, but the attachment to it is.

Perhaps that's selfish, or at the very least, hedonistic. But I can't see rationally why I would want to take the concept of detachment to such an extreme.

There's a story that goes the Buddha said that his followers must rid themselves of desire. They stepped on desire, shreded desire, burned desire, threw away desire. Then the buddha said that they were still consumed by desiring not to desire.

The reason I started learning about Buddhism was I felt the philosophical truths and meditation could be used to improve my life; if the ultimate goal is the loss of any self, conciousness, sentience, memory, or identity I don't understand why I'd want to go down that road.

Buddhism or the path of the Buddha Dharma is not IMO a self improvement course. It is a path to uncover the ultimate reality by forgoing the preconceptions of the conditioned mind and living in the present moment.

In Gassho
    IAWA
    :type:
  • edited May 2006
    Frangible wrote:

Maybe Buddhism just isn't for you at this point. Unless you have come here to be convinced, it just doesn't seem like you see even the first noble truth let alone the third or the fourth. Did you come here to be convinced? The Buddha himself said there would be few in the world friendly to his wisdom. Maybe you're not one of them? But then again only you can determine that. In the meantime his teachings are always open for investigation.

in friendliness,
    V.
    p.s. it looks like you do have a few terms and ideas mixed up a bit. Where, if I may ask, did you get your info about Buddhism?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Frangible, I have no idea what a "santana" self is (latino rock music?), but I do know from 35 years of studying Buddhism that it does lead to true happiness the more you practice it. I wouldn't trade what I've gotten out of my experience with Buddhism for all that samsara can offer. In fact, there is no comparison.

What enlightenment really means is not some sort of extinction of self but the fullest realization of self beyond all imagination. What is there to fear about that? Better to contemplate what lies ahead if you don't make the effort, eh?

And I understand where you're coming from. In fact, it's a common feeling among those just starting out in their study of Buddhism. Don't let it throw you is my advice. Just keep contemplating and studying. I'd really suggest meditation as that can cut through some of the intellectualism that we're so comfortable with but that can sometimes lead us down the garden path, if you know what I mean. Just rest with your mind and see what happens!

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    Maybe Buddhism just isn't for you at this point. Unless you have come here to be convinced, it just doesn't seem like you see even the first noble truth let alone the third or the fourth. Did you come here to be convinced? The Buddha himself said there would be few in the world friendly to his wisdom. Maybe you're not one of them? But then again only you can determine that. In the meantime his teachings are always open for investigation.

in friendliness,
    V.
    p.s. it looks like you do have a few terms and ideas mixed up a bit. Where, if I may ask, did you get your info about Buddhism?

Perhaps you're right. I came here so people more enlightened than I could correct my misunderstandings. I've read the Buddhism wikipedia article, the Buddha Vacana, and misc online articles and posts on this forum.

I've previously studied Tao Te Ching and the Christian Bible, so I'm sure I'm probably confusing and combining them to some degree.

I would rather correct my misunderstandings than keep them, though. I see a lot of similarities in the philosophy of Buddhism to Taoism and Christianity, but the ultimate theology just seems terribly depressing to me.

Perhaps I have bad assumptions, conclusions, or as the previous poster suggested, too selfish of judgment. Or all of the above. But even if I am not able to agree with Buddhism I would like to understand it correctly rather than incorrectly.
  • edited May 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Frangible, I have no idea what a "santana" self is (latino rock music?), but I do know from 35 years of studying Buddhism that it does lead to true happiness the more you practice it. I wouldn't trade what I've gotten out of my experience with Buddhism for all that samsara can offer. In fact, there is no comparison.

What enlightenment really means is not some sort of extinction of self but the fullest realization of self beyond all imagination. What is there to fear about that? Better to contemplate what lies ahead if you don't make the effort, eh?

And I understand where you're coming from. In fact, it's a common feeling among those just starting out in their study of Buddhism. Don't let it throw you is my advice. Just keep contemplating and studying. I'd really suggest meditation as that can cut through some of the intellectualism that we're so comfortable with but that can sometimes lead us down the garden path, if you know what I mean. Just rest with your mind and see what happens!

Palzang

I got the term from this thread: http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237

I can meditate to some degree and do so regularily but am not very good at it; I can clear my mind usually but feeling "qi" (temperature changes?) as Taoists describe it is fleeting and inconsistent. Only very rarely can I sense a "presence".

Perhaps I don't really understand nirvana or enlightment, then. But I do believe the philosophical truths of Buddhism, not only in my life but in others. I too think following them leads to increased happiness. Even if my understanding of them is incomplete, I try every day to improve myself mentally, physically and spiritually and help others.

These things seem easier for me to understand, because I can do them and see a result, and thus they are "real". I have a harder time understanding things beyond my perception.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Hello Frangible, and welcome to our Forum by the way...I see the previous oaffish degenerates contributing, haven't even offered you a cup of tea and a slice of cake - gentlemen, where ARE your manners....??!?:grin:

I also think you need to address your interpretation of the word "suffering" in the context of Buddhism, and to understand the context, examine each of the Four Noble Truths in detail....

The First Noble Truth does indeed (widely) state that Life is "suffering".... but the original word is Dhukkha - which may also be variously seen translated as 'unsatisfactory, up-and-down, difficult, frustrating, and even (as I saw once in a UK newspaper article) maddening' - !
    (Dhukkha is often also further sub-divided into two varieties of 'suffering' or 'unsatisfactoryness' - the Dhukkha of the physical state, affecting the Body's health and well-being, and theDhukkha of the Emotional state, affecting the person's Essential Mental State of Being.....)

The second Noble Truth goes on to explain that the reason it is 'Dhukka' (all translations above) is because we insist on remaining attached to all the impermanent and transitory factors, desiring them to be in fact permanent. We therefore suffer through the discovery that they are not - the aversion to letting all these things go, as one must, is what makes Life so frustrating and unsatisfactory...Our clinging desire to render permanent, that which never can be.....

Many new students and curious examiners of Buddhism have often, at this point, been moved to find Buddhism a depressing and Negative Philosophy....one laden in Doom 'n' Gloom....Nothing could be further from the Truths....
    If this were so, there would be no solution offered...

The Third Noble Truth encourages us to take heart, because there is a way to escape the cyclical existence of Good/Bad, Happy/sad, Up/Down, Yes/no, Joyful/Angry see-sawing yo-yo-ing that continuously pulls us to and fro'....

And the Fourth Noble Truth is the Signpost to the Path we call the Eightfold....

Which is the fundamental concrete solid foundation to every Buddhist's practise....

Right View
    Right Intention
    Right Speech
    Right Action
    Right Livelyhood
    Right Effort
    Right Awareness
    Right Mindfulness or Meditation....

Right Everything....

Not a rigid set of Rules and Regulations, but a sound collection of guidelines and explanations of what, how and why it pays to follow the Eight and enjoy life to the full, no matter what may touch us......
  • edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    Hello Frangible, and welcome to our Forum by the way...I see the previous oaffish degenerates contributing, haven't even offered you a cup of tea and a slice of cake - gentlemen, where ARE your manners....??!?:grin:

Thanks... perhaps my ignorance was shocking to them ;)
    I also think you need to address your interpretation of the word "suffering" in the context of Buddhism, and to understand the context, examine each of the Four Noble Truths in detail....

The First Noble Truth does indeed (widely) state that Life is "suffering".... but the original word is Dhukkha - which may also be variously seen translated as 'unsatisfactory, up-and-down, difficult, frustrating, and even (as I saw once in a UK newspaper article) maddening' - !
    (Dhukkha is often also further sub-divided into two varieties of 'suffering' or 'unsatisfactoryness' - the Dhukkha of the physical state, affecting the Body's health and well-being, and theDhukkha of the Emotional state, affecting the person's Essential Mental State of Being.....)

The second Noble Truth goes on to explain that the reason it is 'Dhukka' (all translations above) is because we insist on remaining attached to all the impermanent and transitory factors, desiring them to be in fact permanent. We therefore suffer through the discovery that they are not - the aversion to letting all these things go, as one must, is what makes Life so frustrating and unsatisfactory...Our clinging desire to render permanent, that which never can be.....

My confusion here is that while I agree life and attachment cause suffering, frustration, etc... don't they also cause happiness? Can you have happiness without suffering? (see, my Tao Te Ching reading is clouding my interpretation) Where does this path lead?
    Many new students and curious examiners of Buddhism have often, at this point, been moved to find Buddhism a depressing and Negative Philosophy....one laden in Doom 'n' Gloom....Nothing could be further from the Truths....
    If this were so, there would be no solution offered...

The Third Noble Truth encourages us to take heart, because there is a way to escape the cyclical existence of Good/Bad, Happy/sad, Up/Down Yes/no Joyful/Angry see-sawing yo-yo-ing that continuously pulls us to and fro'....

The more I have done this in my life, the happier and more content I have been; but I think about the ultimate expression of this-- no desire, no attachment-- and that seems uncomfortable to me.
    And the Fourth NOble Truth is the Signpost to the Path we call the Eightfold....

Which is the fundamental concrete solid foundation to every Buddhist's practise....

Right View
    Tight Intention
    Right Speech
    Right Action
    Right Livelyhood
    Right Effort
    Right Awareness
    Right Mindfulness or Meditation....

Right Everything....

Not a rigid set of Rules and Regulations, but a sound collection of guidelines and explanations of what, how and why it pays to follow the Eight and enjoy life to the full, no matter what may touch us......

I want to try to live these better, because I know what I have done already here has tremendously improved my life, and that of those around me.

I just have a hard time grappling with what it ultimately means...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Hi, Frangible.

Welcome! It's very nice to meet you. And don't worry. I've knocked all the shock from ignorance out of them already.
    My confusion here is that while I agree life and attachment cause suffering, frustration, etc... don't they also cause happiness? Can you have happiness without suffering? Where does this path lead?
    This can be cleared up for you by going into the Buddha's teachings on suffering a little deeper. For example, happiness also has elements of suffering in it because it is impermanent and although one can enjoy happiness, one must also eventually suffer its loss. Ultimately, life in samsara is not satisfying and can never be fully satisfying. But happily there is something better.

Keep asking these questions. You'll find the answers reasonable and helpful in your life.

Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Oh, and by the way,
    The more I have done this in my life, the happier and more content I have been; but I think about the ultimate expression of this-- no desire, no attachment-- and that seems uncomfortable to me
    Feeling uncomfortable can be a very good thing. It can mean that some part of our firmly held but deluded understanding of reality is resisting. Buddhism is about seeing reality as it really is and being with it as it really is. This is not always comfortable or comforting. A very wise person here once told me that the Buddhist path is not an easy one. It's full of sharp corners and it's challenging. That's why it works.

Also, Buddhist meditation is probably going to be very different from what you're used to. What you described here:
    I can meditate to some degree and do so regularily but am not very good at it; I can clear my mind usually but feeling "qi" (temperature changes?) as Taoists describe it is fleeting and inconsistent. Only very rarely can I sense a "presence".
    is very different from Buddhist meditation. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised when you start to learn and practice it because there is no "not very good at it" in Buddhist meditation so you'll be able to get rid of that judgment right away. lol!

Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Frangible wrote:
    T

My confusion here is that while I agree life and attachment cause suffering, frustration, etc... don't they also cause happiness? Can you have happiness without suffering? (see, my Tao Te Ching reading is clouding my interpretation) Where does this path lead?

I just have a hard time grappling with what it ultimately means...

I think you've hit the crux of the matter, and here maybe, through learning with my own experiences, I might be able to shed some light on another way of viewing this...
    (lovely word, 'View'....We're all on the mountain top, but what we're all 'viewing' may inspire different conclusions and comments....)

Happiness is a wonderful thing... we've all experienced it, and we've also all experienced its absence, or opposite, even....Sadness..... Up and down then.... the yo-yo effect....

However, the way in which Buddhism indicates that this yo-yo-ing can be endured, is to understand that Things are Simply as they Are....Life goes on..... You win some, you lose some.... You fall in love, you fall out of love....you live in a shack, then move to a four bedroom town house....you win on the horses, and lose on the dogs....ping-pong, ding-dong.....pendulum swing like a pendulum do....

But whilst this is all going on Externally, we bring ourselves inwardly, 'Home', and dwell in Serene Joy.....

We are subject to the fluctuations of events and the effect these events have on our emotions, but we pull back and detach.... because these events are not US....These emotions are not Who We Are..... they define what our senses and mind are experiencing, but they do not define US. So whilst we may be in the midst of inexpressible happiness or cataclysmic sadness.... We just are....At the centre of all this, we remain composed, balanced and calm.

This too shall pass, because we "Meet with Triumph and Disaster, and treat these two impostors just the same"....

So whilst Life is Difficult, and even in Happiness, as Brigid says, there is sadness, because it does not last, what the Buddha taught is that ultimate Joy is attainable through detachment... freedom from grasping and clinging Desire...... Rising above it.... floating on cloud 9.....

Any better....?
    Or shall I just stick to brewing the tea.....? :tongue2: :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    If you could do both that would be good. And if you're getting up...
  • edited May 2006
    Let's slow down a bit and look at it another way.

I can empathize Frangible with the confusion from the various sources that you've mentioned. Myself a recovered Catholic have been a student of sociology, psychology, neuropsychology, Toaism, Hinduism, Kabbalah, and Sufism, as well as, the Buddha dharma.

Can you have happiness without suffering? (see, my Tao Te Ching reading is clouding my interpretation) Where does this path lead?

I find that I don't see where my path is leading. It is always unfolding as if out of the fog. To know a glimpse of where it's leading look deeply into where you are now. Events of the future are determined by your present actions, just as, your past contains the causes of your present. To say I know where I am going I close myself to limitless possibilities (See film -"What The Bleep Were We Thinking"). When I pick up a stick (action) I don't know before hand what is on the other end of it, be it a snake, a treasure, or a lotus growing in the mud.

As far as happiness is concerned. I often don't even realize that I've been in happiness until I come to a place where I'm filled with dissatifaction. That "there's something wrong" feeling, which, in turn takes it's course down the EFP (eight fold path) provided I'm being with what is, rather then being focused on obtaining a result.

Also, do you have any preconditions for happiness. You know, "I've got to have this to feel or have that?" Happiness is a state of being and like all states of being they come and go, just like suffering.

On intellectual learning:
    In " Zen Keys", master Tich Naht Hahn speaks that,

"Intellectual learning is nothing but studying the menu, while actual practice is the eating of the meal." As Naht Hahn says, the truth of existence is revealed through a deepening awareness that comes from a life of single-mindedness, of being "awake" in whatever one is doing. There is no better labrotory for doing this "aware work" then everyday life, especially ones daily work.

So, do you have anywhere that you can practice near you?

http://www.buddhanet.net/worlddir.htm

And finally, YOU are your own authourity! Even the Buddha said, "Don't just believe what I tell you, go find out for your self."
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    If you could do both that would be good. And if you're getting up...

I know...Your pipe and slippers.... I'll get them.....
  • edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    I know...Your pipe and slippers.... I'll get them.....

Sorry, I used all the tobacco :crazy:

This link is elsewhere, but I found this very useful on meditation:

Meditation Instructions

Sas :buck:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That's OK, Sas. I don't use the pipe for tobacco anyway.
    edited May 2006
    :eekblue: :wtf: :wow: :lol:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Looking at this thread, I immediately started thinking of Gotama...

He was a prince of the realm. When he saw all the suffering in the world - and was driven to find some answer for all of this suffering.

Now... if we think back 2,500 years ago, life isn't what it is today. Yes, there is stil poverty, there is still hunger, there are still many, many things that cause suffering in life. But, I'm thinking on the world as a whole. There weren't agriculture co-ops. There weren't special fertilizers, plumbing, hybred grains, etc. People scraped out a meager living. Not to mention what they had to pay as taxes if they lived in a kingdom. Children died all the time from diseases that we don't even fret about anymore. You scraped and worked by the sweat of your brow just to have, what we would consider now, scraps of food to live off of.

Life truly was suffering.

If you were disease ridden - could not work or grow food - crippled with no government subsidies - life was awful.

I sometimes wonder if this is the mentality that was commonplace during Buddha's time. Reincarnation was a common belief back then.

If your life was crap now - why would you want to keep coming back and going through all of that pain and misery again and again.

I believe that is why people, especially after Gotama's enlightenment, would actually wish for an end to this cycle of suffering.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    And you're saying life is better now?! Whew, wake up and smell the java, bro! They didn't have to contend with global warming (which may well inundate major coastal cities and land within our lifetimes), global thermonuclear warfare, pollution on such a scale that there is nowhere left on earth that is untouched by it, AIDS, bird flu and other biological disasters, and so forth and so on. How on earth could you say things are better now?!

Pal (grim reaper) zang
    edited May 2006
    Easy.... can you say:

Cholera
    TB
    Consumption
    Piles
    Diarrhea
    Dysentary
    Drought
    Famine
    The Black Plague
    The Red Plague
    Leprosy
    Syphillus
    Death in Childbirth
    Cancer
    Measels
    Pox
    Malaria
    Influenza

You don't think modern medicine, government programs, global charity groups, etc. make any differnce in making "now" better than "then"!?!?! Many, many people suffered with these things and diseases who didn't even have the benefit of pain killers.

You think people in India, who have been living with flooding because of the geography for thousands of years, really give a rip about "Global Warming"!?!?!?! Ooooh... it sounds scary - but they've been living with trajedy for a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

C'mon man... now you're just trying to be argumentative, no?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Easy.... can you say:

Cholera
    TB
    Consumption
    Piles
    Diarrhea
    Dysentary
    Drought
    Famine
    The Black Plague
    The Red Plague
    Leprosy
    Syphillus
    Death in Childbirth
    Cancer
    Measels
    Pox
    Malaria
    Influenza

You don't think modern medicine, government programs, global charity groups, etc. make any differnce in making "now" better than "then"!?!?! Many, many people suffered with these things and diseases who didn't even have the benefit of pain killers.

You think people in India, who have been living with flooding because of the geography for thousands of years, really give a rip about "Global Warming"!?!?!?! Ooooh... it sounds scary - but they've been living with trajedy for a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

C'mon man... now you're just trying to be argumentative, no?

-bf

Not at all. True, now many of those diseases are controlled, maybe a few even wiped out. In their place we have drug-resistant strains that are not only deadly, but we can't kill them! And personally I'd much rather have to deal with typhus than a hydrogen bomb any day. Maybe you didn't live through the Cuban Missile Crisis (or at least remember it), but I did, and we all thought we were going to be nuked at any minute without warning. Now, what was your argument again?

Palzang
    edited May 2006
    My argument was and still is:

I believe suffering was much greater back in Gotama's time than it is today. I agree with you that there are terrible diseases that we are dealing with where early mortality is a person's only option. But, you would have to agree that physical suffering can be reduced today in ways that were unconceivable back then.

Yes... you can worry about being nuked and be scared to death. Was mentally worrying about being nuked really worse than slowly dying of starvation, being captured or tortured by invading hordes, you and your children being placed into a life of tortured slavery, being stoned, etc.!?!?! Not to mention the possibly and enduring these things PLUS everything I mentioned earlier?

Me? I'd personally live through the 1/1,000,000,000 of a second it's going to take me to die in the direct hit of a hydrogen bomb rather than wasting aways years of my life in utter agony.

But... to each his own. You must have a higher pain thresh-hold than I do.

I'm not saying life now is perfect - my only point was that I believe life 2,500 years ago was more difficult and included more suffering on a daily basis.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Palzang

The most helpful advance in preventative medicines in the last century is treated water and sewage/garbage disposal. These have saved more lives than any other medical related implementations.

As far as the BOMB is concerned, the fact is that more people were killed by typhus than by the Bomb. Fear of massive destruction and loss of life by the enemy has always been with us. Mongol, Vandal and Crusader invasions had many in those times in fear all the time.

When was the last time that a Bomb killed 1/3 of a continent like the european plagues did?

Dying one by one through disease or by the hundreds of thousands by a nuclear blast is the same to the individuals who died. Many more had long painful deaths from typhus than died from USA use of atomic weapons.

Even with the deaths caused by AIDs world wide the number of deaths by in pale in comparison to the number who died from polio, which is extremely rare today.

You seem to be in fear of what MAY happen because of pollution, global warming etc. but in speaking of past things that caused massive death that no longer do is dealing with facts not conjecture.

The duck and cover training the USA students went through in the 50's and 60's left many of us paranoid of nuclear war.

When i think of improvements I look at China. Even with its massive human rights violations the people eat more and live longer lives than ever before. Have you eaten today I belive was the tradition Chinese greeting.

I too believe for the vast majority life is better. That is why deaths of 35 civilians Afghanistan is news. And why genocide as in Africa is an abberation rather than the way things normally are.

Fear drives out reason.

Seeking nirvana , hopefully, would drive out fears of self extinction which is the same today as it ever was to vast majority of those living, no matter the cause of death.

Russell
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Hey, the Mongols were good guys! Oh, wait, sorry, I forgot I'm prejudiced!

Palzang
    edited May 2006
    Well, they did give us Mongolian BBQ.

Yum!

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Which, by the way, has nothing whatsoever to do with Mongolia. They eat mutton almost exclusively, and the idea of a BBQ is utterly foreign to them.

Palzang
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Look, I really don't see how this discussion is even relevent (as much as I like BBQ). The buddha didn't say the Four Noble truths were

1. Life in the Indian Subcontinent during Brahmanical times is crappy
    2. the reason it is crappy is because of how unadvanced our society is
    3. If we make societal advances things won't suck so bad
    4. The path to societal advancement is the emphasis on education, technology, medicine, sewage treatment, drive-through restaurants, etc.

The buddha did not limit his teachings to such contemporary or regional concerns. And certainly suffering can be experienced by those who are in good health and have plenty of material comforts. Instead he said

1. There is suffering
    2. Suffering has a cause (craving/grasping/clinging)
    3. Suffering has a cessation
    4. There activities which bring about the cessation of suffering (the Eightfold path)

Comparing one set of suffering to another set of suffering, may make you feel good or put things in a broader perspective, but it also breeds complacency and and a false sense of security (as this state is impermanent and unreliable). It is also a way of covering up the truth of the suffering in your current experience which takes you out of the present moment. I understand that it is very difficult to quit covering up the suffering that is there or to stop rationalizing it away. Staring the 1st noble truth of suffering starkly in the face is not for the faint of heart, and many times I run for cover myself. And suffering is certainly a fearsome beast, even moreso if we forget that it is caused and has an end. Also, a lot of the fearsomeness comes from the thought "I am suffering." Nobody wants to suffer. So they instead try to block it out from view. If we block out suffering, we cannot let go of it and it will affect our actions on an unconscious level causing countless neurotic and unskillful habits.

An excerpt on this by Ajahn Sumedho:
    http://www.amaravati.org/abm/english/documents/4noble2/cont.html
    Suffering is something we usually do not want to know — we just want to get rid of it. As soon as there is any inconvenience or annoyance, the tendency of an unawakened human being is to get rid of it or suppress it. One can see why modern society is so caught up in seeking pleasures and delights in what is new, exciting or romantic. We tend to emphasise the beauties and pleasures of youth whilst the ugly side of life — old age, sickness, death, boredom, despair and depression, are pushed aside. When we find ourselves with something we do not like, we try to get away from it to something we do like. If we feel boredom, we go to something interesting. If we feel frightened, we try to find safety. This is a perfectly natural thing to do. We are associated with that pleasure/pain principle of being attracted and repelled. So if the mind is not full and receptive, then it is selective — it selects what it likes and tries to suppress what it does not like. Much of our experience has to be suppressed because a lot of what we are inevitably involved with is unpleasant in some way.

If anything unpleasant arises we say, 'Run away!' If anyone gets in our way we say, 'Kill him!' This tendency is often apparent in what our governments do ... Frightening, isn't it, when you think of the kind of people who run our countries — because they are still very ignorant and unenlightened. But that is the way it is. The ignorant mind thinks of extermination: 'Here's a mosquito; kill it!', 'These ants are taking over the room; spray them with ant killer!' There is a company in London called Rent-o-Kil. I don't know if it is a kind of British mafia or what, but it specialises in killing pests - however you want to interpret the word 'pests'.

Instead we are to investigate and understand suffering (from the same link):
    I encourage you to try to understand dukkha: to really look at, stand under and accept your suffering. Try to understand it when you are feeling physical pain or despair and anguish,or hatred and aversion — whatever form it takes, whatever quality it has, whether it is extreme or slight. This teaching does not mean that to get enlightened you have to be utterly and totally miserable. You do not have to have everything taken away from you or be tortured on the rack; it means being able to look at suffering, even if it is just a mild feeling of discontent, and understand it.

This understanding involves the second noble truth and leads us to the third. Without looking at suffering to understand it, there is no getting off this series of suffering after suffering.

That both I and you have had to travel and trudge through
    this long round is owing to our not discovering,
    not penetrating four truths. What four?
    They are: The Noble Truth of Suffering,
    The Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering, The Noble Truth
    of the Cessation of Suffering, and the Noble Truth of the Way
    Leading to the Cessation of Suffering.
    [Digha Nikaya, Sutta 16]

May all beings be well. May all beings be free from suffering.

_/\_
    metta
    edited May 2006
    Not,

You are absolutely correct.

My only point was looking at how and why things came about.

I agree with you that Buddha didn't share these teachings because of the state of the Indian continent versus what it is today or the lack of medical expertise.

I was only hypothesizing about the conditions, environment, scope - all the variables that were at that point in time which was in effect when Gotama received his enlightenment. It was also a different culture from what has sprang up with Christianity, the eternal soul, Heaven and Hell.

To say that Buddha's teachings were only for that point in time when (in my opinion) suffering was greater than it is today - would mean that Buddha's teachings today are useless.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Which, by the way, has nothing whatsoever to do with Mongolia. They eat mutton almost exclusively, and the idea of a BBQ is utterly foreign to them.

Palzang

Thank God the Chinese were still able to give us Fortune Cookies.

-bf

P.S. And the French for their Fries.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Not,

You are absolutely correct.

My only point was looking at how and why things came about.

I agree with you that Buddha didn't share these teachings because of the state of the Indian continent versus what it is today or the lack of medical expertise.

I was only hypothesizing about the conditions, environment, scope - all the variables that were at that point in time which was in effect when Gotama received his enlightenment. It was also a different culture from what has sprang up with Christianity, the eternal soul, Heaven and Hell.

To say that Buddha's teachings were only for that point in time when (in my opinion) suffering was greater than it is today - would mean that Buddha's teachings today are useless.

-bf

Okay, that's good. I was a bit uncertain as to what you were trying to get across with that post. I think I get what you were saying now.

And keep in mind, also, that the sights of Old Age, Sickness, Death and a Wandering Ascetic were the main driving factors which spurred the buddhas inquiry into suffering (as far as the story goes). And from that point, no earthly pleasure could satisfy the Buddha and he had no choice but to seek out the truth of suffering. These 'four sights' (hmm... can somebody say quiz?) are major points of reflection in the buddhist tradition, which also have some interesting correlations with the Four Noble Truths. Contemplation of these subjects brings about a spirit of renunciation and the wish for buddhahood for the sake of oneself and others.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited May 2006
    Frangible wrote:
    Perhaps you're right. I came here so people more enlightened than I could correct my misunderstandings. I've read the Buddhism wikipedia article, the Buddha Vacana, and misc online articles and posts on this forum.

I've previously studied Tao Te Ching and the Christian Bible, so I'm sure I'm probably confusing and combining them to some degree.

I would rather correct my misunderstandings than keep them, though. I see a lot of similarities in the philosophy of Buddhism to Taoism and Christianity, but the ultimate theology just seems terribly depressing to me.

Perhaps I have bad assumptions, conclusions, or as the previous poster suggested, too selfish of judgment. Or all of the above. But even if I am not able to agree with Buddhism I would like to understand it correctly rather than incorrectly.

Frangible,

I stumbled across this discourse of the Buddha in my studies and immediately I thought of you. It's a discourse from the Pali canon, the 41st sutta of the book of the nines from the Anguttara Nikaya. I sincerely hope it offers some inspiration to you. I offer an introductory passage here (I took the liberty of bolding the text which may pique your interest), and if you are interested the rest can be read at the link below the passage. Best wishes!
    Then Tapussa the householder went to Ven. Ananda and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to Ven. Ananda: "Venerable Ananda, sir, we are householders who indulge in sensuality, delight in sensuality, enjoy sensuality, rejoice in sensuality. For us — indulging in sensuality, delighting in sensuality, enjoying sensuality, rejoicing in sensuality — renunciation seems like a sheer drop-off. Yet I've heard that in this doctrine & discipline the hearts of the very young monks leap up at renunciation, grow confident, steadfast, & firm, seeing it as peace. So right here is where this doctrine & discipline is contrary to the great mass of people: i.e., [this issue of] renunciation."

"This calls for a talk, householder. Let's go see the Blessed One. Let's approach him and, on arrival, tell him this matter. However he explains it to us, we will bear it in mind."
    The Buddha's response to the householder's issue follows...find the entire sutta at the following:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an09-041.html

in friendliness,
    V.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Thank God the Chinese were still able to give us Fortune Cookies.

And chop suey.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    The whole point of my reply to bf is that suffering is still as relevant now as it was during the time of the Buddha. Sure, it may look different, but that is because our collective karma is different than it was for the people alive then. The fact that we often don't recognize suffering is because samsara is so seductive, and we're addicted to it. It seems so sweet, at least until the bottom falls out.

As for relevance, it's true that times are different. That's why Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche) hid termas that were to be revealed at those times when they were needed. There are still termas being revealed today because they are needed at this time. So while the Buddha's teachings remain true and relevant, the needs of the practitioners do change.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    This is another...GREAT....thread!

I loved the argument between Palzang and BF. It was nice and short, well put forward and without anger. It was a good balance to read both views. And then Not1 comes in with his zinger! What a post! Not1, that one's being saved by me. It brought up all sorts of teachings for me like Pema Chodron speaking on Fear and Fearlessness about our constant tendency to avoid pretty much everything that's even slightly unpleasant. I love that talk. It's so damned true!
    I was also of the opinion that we were socially advanced today and that things have gotten better. But now I can let go of that opinion, too, because you're right, Not1, at best it's irrelevant and at worst it's another technique of avoidance. I don't need an opinion on the state of the world anymore after reading this. Things are as they are. There is always room for improvement and we can always do better, but things things are as they are nonetheless.

I LOVE this thread.
    I think I'm even going to *gasp* reread it! Sooo good!

Now THIS is what I call entertainment.

Love,
    Brigid
    edited May 2006
    I have to say, I actually loved Vaccha's contribution....
    It smacks entirely of:

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" - !!

It seems the same questions, arguments and dilemmas faced people then, as are facing people now.....!

So we can illustrate the types of 'suffering' which were highly pertinent then, and itemise the different types of 'suffering' more pertinent to now....

Call it, define it and illustrate it as you will - 'suffering' is still 'suffering'......

Great thread, people.... And I hope Frangible is enjoying it -

Now ya see whatcha done - ?!? ;)
  • edited May 2006
    Thank you all for the discussion so far; it's already changed my views and given me a lot to contemplate and reflect upon.
    Frangible,

I stumbled across this discourse of the Buddha in my studies and immediately I thought of you. It's a discourse from the Pali canon, the 41st sutta of the book of the nines from the Anguttara Nikaya. I sincerely hope it offers some inspiration to you. I offer an introductory passage here (I took the liberty of bolding the text which may pique your interest), and if you are interested the rest can be read at the link below the passage. Best wishes!

The Buddha's response to the householder's issue follows...find the entire sutta at the following:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an09-041.html

in friendliness,
    V.

Wow, this is exactly the answer to my question that I was not aware existed. Thank you very much for sharing it. I'm still a little confused and will have to study it further.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    So glad to hear it, Frangible. And don't be afraid to keep asking those tough questions. Remember; "Small doubt, small enlightenment. Big doubt, big enlightenment."

Nicely done, Vacch! Haven't read through the whole thing yet, but it's perfect! Thank you from me, too.
    edited May 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    The whole point of my reply to bf is that suffering is still as relevant now as it was during the time of the Buddha. Sure, it may look different, but that is because our collective karma is different than it was for the people alive then. The fact that we often don't recognize suffering is because samsara is so seductive, and we're addicted to it. It seems so sweet, at least until the bottom falls out.

As for relevance, it's true that times are different. That's why Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche) hid termas that were to be revealed at those times when they were needed. There are still termas being revealed today because they are needed at this time. So while the Buddha's teachings remain true and relevant, the needs of the practitioners do change.

Palzang

Pal,

That's a good point. I never really thought about how "seductive" samsara can be. A very good and frightening point. It is one thing to be suffering and seeking enlightenment - because you know to be true -versus- suffering and being too ignorant to know it or do anything about it.

I kind of got off track from my initial response... suffering Now -vs Then. I think the point I wanted to make is: people in Gotama's time WANTED to end a cycle of rebirth. We, as Westerner's, find this a very odd concept. Westerner's LOOK for a reason for something of us to continue on.

-bf