Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is 'samaya'?

edited May 2006 in Buddhism Basics
The 'other' forum has mentioned this term in relation to specific issues...but what IS it?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Samaya (Sanskrit). A religious precept.
  • edited May 2006
    What religious precept (which one?)? Nature/parameter of...and what does it entail?

(I feel like that little robot Johnny 5 asking for 'Input'. ;) )
  • edited May 2006
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    No, samaya means "word of honor", damtshig in Tibetan. It is a promise given to carry out the instructions given to you by your lama during an empowerment, for example. If you attend an empowerment for, let's say, Chenrezigs (Avalokiteshvara), you might receive the samaya to say a mala of the MANI mantra every day. Or your samaya might be a heart samaya, such as never harming a living being on purpose. It's different than a precept, which is a vow, such as the Pratimoksha vows of ordination or the Bodhisattva vow.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    So Samaya is the promise to undertake a specific action, rather than to live life in a specific way....? Have I got that, Palzang....?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I suppose you could say that, Fed. Actually it's the difference between a promise and a vow, if that makes any sense. You can have a heart samaya with a teacher that is actually much more profound than any vow, or you could have the samaya given during an empowerment to do a certain practice daily. Vows, on the other hand, usually are more part of a code, like the Pratimoksha vows which have been passed down unchanged since the Buddha first laid them out. Do you see what I mean?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Yes, I do Palzang, thank you so much.....
    It's a bit like telling the difference between a pillow and a cushion...they may certainly be different, but they may equally bear similarities....!!

Thank you!!
  • edited May 2006
    Heart samaya...I understand that. Thank you. It is a bond? Like 'I will never leave you'?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I would say so. Heart samaya is the "contract", if you will, between the teacher and student which will always remain in effect once made. Even if the student turns their back on the teacher, the teacher will come back for them no matter how long it takes.

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    How beautiful.