Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Greetings! Introduction and inquiry regarding Buddhist songwriting.

edited July 2012 in Arts & Writings
Greetings. My name is Ernie and I joined Newbuddhists this week. I came across this site while searching for information on Buddhist songwriters. The discussion thread on this topic from last year was encouraging. It is cool to find others that endeavor to integrate their practice with songwriting.

I have been a practicing Zen Buddhist practitioner for about six years and a songwriter since I can remember. I have only recently collaborated and recorded music professionally in the past few years. I am mostly a lyricist that come up with words and a basic melody/theme and then collaborate with others to complete the song. Occasionally I write all aspects of a song and have an arranger lay down the final track.

While I was completing my first professional mainstream project, the feeling of emptiness (not in a good way) grew as I found the lyrics dealing with the daily samsara of things and not providing a more enlightened approach to the music.

As I begin to build this new concept of a more enlightened and beneficial approach to music composition, I find myself struggling to find the balance and feel for the music. Of course, if you think about it, all music deals with Buddhism... :) . There is the purely devotional Buddhist music I have found, such as chants, and devotional music, which is great for hard core and engaged Buddhist, but is not very relatable in every day life. I am looking to find a balance of Buddhist concepts and Dharma with living every day life.

I have several songs along these lines and would like to find folks who would be willing to provide feedback or collaborate on this type of music. The intention of this music to share and encourage others and enhance my practice; profit is not a big motivator here. I would also enjoy conversing with others to discuss their experience in this realm as well as their practice.

I look forward to talking and working with anyone interested. Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long introduction and allowing me to be part of newbuddhist.com!

Namaste.

Ernie