Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding a footing~

ALilyDancedALilyDanced Explorer
edited July 2012 in Arts & Writings
The mind is a strange place.

I dance around with it aplenty all day long. Some days are like a still pond with a few rocks rumbling in, causing small ripples. These days are welcome. Although they are something of an effort lately.

When something jarring in life happens, it's difficult to find my footing sometimes. I look around and keep trying to hold on to something. To grab on to something. This has happened plenty in my short life. What I've come to realize is that there is nothing to grab on to. And this can feel like the light has been shut off in a tomb while you grope around with blind hands and a blind heart.

This can be scary.

From the time I was little, I've never had wholesome attachments with figures in my life. Stunted, broken, empty, abandoned. And all I wanted was something to hold on to. Someone to hold on to. And to find myself alone without my best friend, and not be able to connect easily with others around me was scary every time. But I'm realizing that I need to stop trying to hold on to things. I need to hold myself. No person can satisfy this need in me, this desire. Or any desire. I need to let the darkness settle over me, and embrace its velvet shadows. Relax into it. Stop fighting. Stop clinging. Stop torturing myself. Be alone.

There's no footing. I can't backtrack, and I don't have any idea where the steps forward might take me. There's no rope to hold on to.

And sometimes I stop and take a few steps back. But I know that I'm on the right path somehow, that I'll be okay. Somehow.

I don't know if any of this makes sense.

Oh, and Hi btw. I'm new here. :)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ALilyDanced

Good words
    Many Buddhists deify the mind to it's detriment.

I think that ones mind is just one of many organs and a large part of a meditation practise is learning that the mind's job description need not include a monopoly on command responsibility. Equanimity is not any type of mind, rather it's the experience of the mind as a place of information storage and dissemination and that it never needed to be the sum of who you are.. Here the mind's storm or calm conditions function freely but with those conditions no longer dictating how you interact with existence.

Everyday that you practise in such a way will be a day where you know less than you did the day before
    But
    in that space will be found an ever widening heart.
  • @ALilyDanced : They call it going home. For a long time we've been searching for the home outside and it is nowhere to be found.
    I too come from a place of dysfunction and cultivation of neuroses over anything else.
    Never really felt comfortable anywhere and just in the recent past I'm realizing where home is and boy is it comfortable compared to the alternative!!

They say "Ultimately we realize that we are our own refuge."

@how : I had to read that twice before getting it all in :p

I see that to be true.. especially the last sentence you wrote.

• @ALilyDanced

Good words

I think that ones mind is just one of many organs and a large part of a meditation practise is learning that the mind's job description need not include a monopoly on command responsibility.,
    I don't know what you mean by command responsibility. Could you clarify/elaborate?
    Equanimity is not any type of mind, rather it's the experience of the mind as a place of information storage and dissemination and that it never needed to be the sum of who you are.. Here the mind's storm or calm conditions function freely but with those conditions no longer dictating how you interact with existence.
    Agreed. I am happiest when I think less and just go with the flow of things. Lately, I have been thinking way way too much. In meditation I cannot even keep a clear head entirely, but I don't see this as a downside. It's fine. I am okay with it and I find the thoughts and experiences surfacing rather interesting actually. Although I think after I'm done analyzing I'd like to get back to thinking less and just doing more. Being more active and lively and letting life take me for a ride. Being a passenger.

Everyday that you practise in such a way will be a day where you know less than you did the day before
    But
    in that space will be found an ever widening heart.
    Huh? :P

• @ALilyDanced : They call it going home. For a long time we've been searching for the home outside and it is nowhere to be found.
    I too come from a place of dysfunction and cultivation of neuroses over anything else.
    Never really felt comfortable anywhere and just in the recent past I'm realizing where home is and boy is it comfortable compared to the alternative!!

They say "Ultimately we realize that we are our own refuge."

Perhaps it is all that we've had to suffer that has allowed us to be empathetic to life's troubles and attempt at choosing some other way, another way that isn't dictated by society or our biology.

I like that saying. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ALilyDanced

Good words

I think that ones mind is just one of many organs and a large part of a meditation practise is learning that the mind's job description need not include a monopoly on command responsibility.,
    I don't know what you mean by command responsibility. Could you clarify/elaborate?

The world (and some schools of Buddhism) usually accepts that an individual is commanded by their mind. Meditation shows the mind to be little more than an interactive library, unfairly saddled with the ego's agenda of control. (I think, therefore I am)
    It is really a information centre best equipped to provide interactive reference material, but exceeds it's practical function when role playing as captain. A meditation practise can dissolve the conditioning that seated our mind in the captains chair and allow for a broader, more stable reality to navigate by.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Just to further what @OneLifeForm highlighted:
    "Atha Dipa, Ana Sarana, Anana Sarana"
    "You are the light, You are the refuge, There is no place to take shelter but yourself"

I like this song that Ghandi used to recite to himself when undertaking his grueling walks across territory in violent dispute between Hindu and Muslim populations. Maybe you, @ALilyDanced, will like it too: by Robindrath Tagore

Walk Alone
    "Walk alone. If they answer not thy call, walk alone. If they are afraid and cower mutely against the wall, O thou of evil luck, open thy mind and speak out alone. If they turn away and desert you when crossing the wilderness, O thou of evil luck, trample the thorns under thy tread, and along the blood-soaked track travel alone. If they do not hold up the light when the night is troubled with storm, O thou of evil luck, with the thunder-flame of pain ignite thine own heart and let it burn alone."
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ALilyDanced

Everyday that you practise in such a way will be a day where you know less than you did the day before But in that space will be found an ever widening heart.
    If that Huh? is a question...

I think this jewel has many facets. One view is..

Knowing less today than you did yesterday is just saying that the very carrying of a "knowing" is an expression of identity. If everything changes as your meditation shows you, a carried "knowing" only applied to conditions that have now passed.

Knowledge unbound to a sense of self however is not something you can carry but can meditatively be a question that is being continuously answered in this very moment. Freed from a static delusive sense of self, such understanding appears fluidly ownerless, transient but completely applicable to now.

Those parts of yourself that were felt to be a knowledge, are slowly dropped, and so each day seems like you know less than you did the day before. This path allows you to see what your conditioning formally obscured of your mind and heart.

• @TheBeejAbides :

I like this song, that Ghandi used to recite to himself when undertaking his grueling walks across territory in violent dispute between Hindu and Muslim populations, by Robindrath Tagore

Walk Alone
    "Walk alone. If they answer not thy call, walk alone. If they are afraid and cower mutely against the wall, O thou of evil luck, open thy mind and speak out alone. If they turn away and desert you when crossing the wilderness, O thou of evil luck, trample the thorns under thy tread, and along the blood-soaked track travel alone. If they do not hold up the light when the night is troubled with storm, O thou of evil luck, with the thunder-flame of pain ignite thine own heart and let it burn alone."
    It is beautiful.. that last line really hits home :D

• Just to further what @OneLifeForm highlighted:
    "Atha Dipa, Ana Sarana, Anana Sarana"
    "You are the light, You are the refuge, There is no place to take shelter but yourself"

I like this song that Ghandi used to recite to himself when undertaking his grueling walks across territory in violent dispute between Hindu and Muslim populations. Maybe you, @ALilyDanced, will like it too: by Robindrath Tagore

Walk Alone
    Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. :)
  • ALilyDancedALilyDanced Explorer
    edited July 2012
    @ALilyDanced

Good words

The world (and some schools of Buddhism) usually accepts that an individual is commanded by their mind. Meditation shows the mind to be little more than an interactive library, unfairly saddled with the ego's agenda of control. (I think, therefore I am)
    It is really a information centre best equipped to provide interactive reference material, but exceeds it's practical function when role playing as captain. A meditation practise can dissolve the conditioning that seated our mind in the captains chair and allow for a broader, more stable reality to navigate by.

I have yet to truly know intuitively and not just because I've read it somewhere, what it means to feel separate from your mind. Makes sense rationally. I know it, understand, but there's a difference when you truly feel something for yourself. Experience is necessary for that, I would hazard a guess to say.

• @ALilyDanced

Everyday that you practise in such a way will be a day where you know less than you did the day before But in that space will be found an ever widening heart.
    If that Huh? is a question...

I think this jewel has many facets. One view is..

Knowing less today than you did yesterday is just saying that the very carrying of a "knowing" is an expression of identity. If everything changes as your meditation shows you, a carried "knowing" only applied to conditions that have now passed.

Knowledge unbound to a sense of self however is not something you can carry but can meditatively be a question that is being continuously answered in this very moment. Freed from a static delusive sense of self, such understanding appears fluidly ownerless, transient but completely applicable to now.

Those parts of yourself that were felt to be a knowledge, are slowly dropped, and so each day seems like you know less than you did the day before. This path allows you to see what your conditioning formally obscured of your mind and heart.

There are things which are objectively true, though.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

There are things which are objectively true, though.
    Such as?
  • Gravity.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Gravity is a word - we need to consider it mathematically (the most objective language we have available) - and there the issues start!

You'll find the equations describing gravity locally are dependant on other equations - we only perceive a tiny fraction of the whole picture and the results of our examinations are captured within this narrow focus.

While local laws of gravity hold locally, they break down in the extremeties.

You'll find the concept of an 'ultimate' objectivity somewhat elusive to pin down - anything else is a fictional objectivity created as a best fit.
  • ALilyDancedALilyDanced Explorer
    edited July 2012
    I'm too sleep deprived to reply to that right now. :P

I don't think there is Ultimate objectivity since we can't actually step outside and observe our Universe.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    :p

Here's one for already tired mind - what would you step out into if you stepped out of the universe... (let alone how would you observe it if the laws of this universe are encompassed within this universe)??!!
  • Good one.

Depends. Is there a mutiverse? Do I have god like powers? :p

I'll let the philosophers tackle that one.

• I am restless again today.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Restlessness is a great teacher. It shows me there is something that I'm resisting facing. Relaxing into my restlessness shows me what it is. 95% of the time that's all that's required but the rest of the time, whats left to do is obvious.
  • I know what's keeping me restless. Desire for something I can't have, anticipation, aversion instead of letting go of this thing, and some things I need to sort out for school.

I can't seem to sit with these things right now. I keep trying. Usually I enjoy sitting with my thoughts regardless of how crazy...
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    A possibility to consider.
    Sometimes the only issue is the judgement of what we think meditation should or shouldn't be.
    The meditation may just be showing you what you've decided is more important than meditation.
    If meditation is measured by enjoyment then.....I'm sure you know the rest.
  • Genius