Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and mindfulness provoking pain and anxiety

edited August 2012 in Meditation
Hello ladies and gents. I'd like to get some feedback on a serious issue I've had with my practice of mindfulness and meditation. Practicing either one of them makes me very anxious, tense, and stiff in addition to tremendous physical pain. When I began practicing last February it wasn't a problem, but as the weeks went by I noticed myself feeling a lot of tension building up during my meditation sessions. After some months it became worse. My mind on the other hand became increasingly calm. I learned very much so to "ride the waves" so to speak, but physiologically, my body was a mess. I began to feel a lot of pain in certain parts of my body like my neck, my back, and I began to feel strange sensations that I still can't adequately describe. The tension and pain started in my meditation practice, but then expanded to my practice of mindfulness. Eventually it got to the point where I was no longer able to practice meditation, and then mindfulness as well. At the time I stopped, I had been meditating daily for 4 months using various meditation audiotapes(Radical Acceptance with Tara Broch and Another cd with several different meditations)

Have any of you ever heard of this type of experience before? I certainly haven't and I'm at a loss. Practicing both and the tenets associated with them allowed me to live a life that I greatly appreciated. I would be very grateful for any input. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    might be that you are becoming aware of a previously unnoticed physical problem? have you sought medical diagnoses?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Pain and tension are common experiences as one starts lifting the veil of suffering's cause. For most, the pain & tension is caused not so much from loosening ones hold on sufferings cause, but from not being willing to let go enough.

This is a common hovering point that we face until our uncomfortableness either returns us to the world of attachment that we are familiar with until we are willing to try again or propels us to let go of it all. For most it's an undulating journey of resistance and acceptance.
    Letting go though, is a step into the unknown.
    There is no right or wrong here, just the fruition of our own spiritual karma, either way.

Beyond this experience of meditative born pain & tension, usually in the rear view mirror, one will see it was just the ego's nervous system barrier protecting it's fiefdom.
  • Oh man, I struggled with this for so long! Seriously, I feel you.

First things first, get looked at by your physician. It's always worth checking that nothing is physically wrong with a professional with this kind of thing.

Ok, so I actually read a really interesting study on this the other day. If I can find it later on I'll post it. Basically, it found that when people consciously tried to relax they became tense. As you know, this is what happens :lol:

I eventually got over it but it was really hard. First off, I sat down to meditate, and just sat for a while letting my body do whatever it wanted - I was shaking, my heart was pounding, loads of stuff. And I just stayed aware of it and let it happen.

Then, I sat really still and I just white knuckled my way through it. It's hard to explain how it happened, but all the anxiety just melted away and I felt a profound sense of peace.

Never had the problem since.

The only way out of anxiety is through it.

Best of luck, hope you find what you need :)

• Yeah, I don't know how clear that was lol. Basically the message is just let yourself get really anxious, and just after you feel like you can't take it anymore it will pass. (But like I said, check with your Dr that it ia just anxiety)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    My mind on the other hand became increasingly calm. I learned very much so to "ride the waves" so to speak, but physiologically, my body was a mess. I began to feel a lot of pain in certain parts of my body like my neck, my back, and I began to feel strange sensations that I still can't adequately describe.
    It could simply be that your posture is wrong ( for you ). What posture are you currently using?
  • Due to having bad knees I meditate sitting in a chair. Works for me. There are some (Brad Warner, for example) that state that zazen can only be done in the lotus position. I must disagree.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Due to having bad knees I meditate sitting in a chair. Works for me.
    Me too. Generally I advise people to try and keep a straight back, beyond that I'm not atall convinced about the need for convoluted yogic contortions.
  • Hi @Stillwaters

It sounds like your body is fighting with your mind for control. And your body is winning the fight.

Of course, mind and body are not separate things. They are not things at all, but processes that work together. Both cause and effect. We tend to think that the mind tells us about the body, but the body can also tell us about the mind. Just have to pay attention and relax.

Awareness (as always) is the answer. It can be developed through practices like yoga and walking meditation. In fact, if your perception of physical pain while sitting is caused by muscle cramps, Yoga stretching will help. If the tension is caused in part by too much energy, then walking meditation will help.

Allow balance and harmony to happen through present moment awareness of the mind body process. Then this obstacle to your practice will become a strength.

Best Wishes