Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The farther one travels, the less one knows

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
The less one really knows...

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    How true!!!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Always been my experience, too

Knowing is a platform for the knower and the known to stand upon.
    Travel ( internal or external) is just the disolving of that platform.

• George Harrison was my first "guru" - this is one of the songs I play regularly on the guitar.

As I got older and (hopefully) wiser, I began to realize that what he sang about in his songs was true. I'm grateful that he chose to use his celebrity and success as a vehicle to give back by helping to bring my awareness, and I'm sure the awareness of many others, to some of these ideas.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    A counterpoint:

"When traveling is made too easy and comfortable, its spiritual meaning is lost. This may be called sentimentalism, but a certain sense of loneliness engendered by traveling leads one to reflect upon the meaning of life, for life is after all a travelling from one unknown to another unknown." -- D.T. Suzuki

Also, I'm not sure if the message in the song can really apply to physical travelling though... I've found that through exploring other cities and ways of life, I've come to understand and appreciate a good deal more than if I stayed at home. My friends who don't travel but stay within their social circles get stuck in a rut - same jokes, same prejudices, same beliefs, etc. Travelling (esp backpacking) challenges all that. At least in my experience.

Maybe you don't get to know universal/cosmic truths like when you meditate, but it's definitely a different type of knowledge that can cultivate good qualities.
    Linus