Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you do when....

edited June 2006 in Buddhism Basics
someone close to you is constantly making reference to God and Jesus everytime you talk to them about something going on in your life? Let me try to explain......I am going through a bit of a stressful situation right now, and I have two people in my life that I am very close to that I am talking to about this issue of mine. These two people are wonderful, wonderful people and they are both very Christian. So while I appreciate all of their advice and help and support, I am just not sure what to say to them when they say things to me like "lean on Jesus because He is our Lord and Savior and He died on the cross for our sins and rose again...He will lead and guide you!" etc, etc, etc!!

How should I handle this? Do I just listen to what they say without telling them that's not really what I believe in? I don't want to offend, but I just don't know what to say to those things. I also want them to know what I DO believe in.

Any good advice?

Kim

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I can think of a lot of things I could tell you to say - but it would probably turn out to be offensive to them.

Maybe just let them know that you don't really believe that doing "that" (leaning on Jesus) is going to resolve this issue. That you don't really believe in Jesus and that even Jesus taught that sometimes you actually have to do something.

I will have that bridge to cross pretty soon with my In-laws.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    It's a toughie, because they obviously care a great deal about you, and you them, but they don't realise this is logjamming in your throat....

I have only a couple of suggestions, but I don't know if any of them would suit so....

Here goes....

One would be to smile sweetly and say 'Well that's great - whatever works for you!!" and just let them talk themselves into a corner, without adding anything else...

The second option would be to say..."Yes, that's very interesting, but do you know what Buddhists suggest? because that's what I am following, right now....." and explain your point of view....

The third would be to tell them that you really appreciate their helpful advice, but that is not your way....

Sometimes, you just have to grit your teeth and speak your mind.....

Good Luck.
  • edited May 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    someone close to you is constantly making reference to God and Jesus everytime you talk to them about something going on in your life? Let me try to explain......I am going through a bit of a stressful situation right now, and I have two people in my life that I am very close to that I am talking to about this issue of mine. These two people are wonderful, wonderful people and they are both very Christian. So while I appreciate all of their advice and help and support, I am just not sure what to say to them when they say things to me like "lean on Jesus because He is our Lord and Savior and He died on the cross for our sins and rose again...He will lead and guide you!" etc, etc, etc!!

How should I handle this? Do I just listen to what they say without telling them that's not really what I believe in? I don't want to offend, but I just don't know what to say to those things. I also want them to know what I DO believe in.

Any good advice?

Kim

Good one!
    My wife can't get over the fact that I no longer believe in God, even though she has had a while to get used to the idea. It's actually avery touchy subject in our house. Go with your gut! I no longer feel uncomfortable telling people that I don't buy into that myth anymore. Not saying that he wasn't a spiritual master, but it's my opinion that the truth regarding the person is greatly exagerated. I came to understand that he was killed by the powers in charge at the time, his followers taught that he died for the sins of the world ( the blood of the lamb concept ) as a proof that the scriptures had been fulfilled through him. At that time there were many messianic claims, it's no surprise that one took hold.
  • edited May 2006
    This sounds much like the thread about Bible thumpers awhile back.

I'd do the same thing...politely tell them that I am 'Born again'...they seem to go away after that.
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks everyone...these people are very close to me, and I valur my relationship with them, so I just want to be tactful and not offensive to them. I know they mean well.

Fede - I like your second option the best. I want them to know what I believe in now and it is important to me that they understand that even though we disagree on this subject, I don't value their opinoins any less. My husband always tells me that I worry too much about offending people. Sometimes, I just need to have more "guts" when it comes to this stuff!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    YogaMama wrote:

Any good advice?

Kim

Not sure exactly what to tell you, as I don't know the details of your situation. But in general, I would say something in affirmation of both your and their spiritual practices.

You could say something like, "yes, it is wonderful to have a refuge in difficult times. If it weren't for my practice, I don't know what I'd do." You could tell them how the lovingkindness displayed by Jesus is quite inspiring and how selflessness and unconditional love is part of your practice. That may just prompt them to start asking questions as to just what your practice is.

If I were in you shoes, though, I would be hesitant to give too much info, as I wouldn't want to become my friends' new project to save from eternal damnation. Then again, I also wouldn't want to hide my beliefs from them.

_/\_
    metta
    edited May 2006
    Yoda,

Maybe you need to start with putting a nice big Buddha in your living room.

They can't miss it. They should even ask why you have something like that in your living room. Then you can tell them.

Unless they're used to ignoring the grey elephant in the living room.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    i have a friend online whos super catholic.. i cant talk to him about anytyhing.. scientific,philosophy or religion wise without the words

"You'll be saved, I was saved, we all SAVEDD!! by Jesus, HE DA SAAAVIOR" or words to that effect..

i kinda dont bother with him anymore.. he comes up with weird arguements for why God exists.. i.e dinosaurs in the bible.. how come there's nothing in the universe that's unexplainable.. or unknown. the universe is complete and theres no missing gaps.. monkeys are an insult to me so im not evolved from them .. scientific laws approve this and that .. (laws r theories.. cough)

blah blah blah

i avoid seeking advice from christians.. i dunno.. i find that theres really no one in my life that can offer me advice.. i mean really.. by seeking peace in my mind and clearing my mind and embracing my thoughts,feelings.. i can get better answers from myself than my parents or friends..
  • edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Yoda,

Maybe you need to start with putting a nice big Buddha in your living room.

They can't miss it. They should even ask why you have something like that in your living room. Then you can tell them.

Unless they're used to ignoring the grey elephant in the living room.

-bf

I have 2 big Buddha's in my living room and one in my bedroom! And I have told both of them that I am Buddhist. But their comments like that keep coming. Like not1 said, I think they feel like I am a "lost sheep" that they need to save.
  • edited May 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    You could say something like, "yes, it is wonderful to have a refuge in difficult times. If it weren't for my practice, I don't know what I'd do." You could tell them how the lovingkindness displayed by Jesus is quite inspiring and how selflessness and unconditional love is part of your practice. That may just prompt them to start asking questions as to just what your practice is.

_/\_
    metta

That's a good one too!
  • edited May 2006
    I think you've gotten some good advice so far. I agree in general with what Not1Not2 has written.

If this couple were regularly making references to Jesus and God as an expression of their own beliefs, in terms of how they would handle things, or how they do handle things, I wouldn't say anything, nor would I feel a need to have to emphasize that I'm on a different path. But if it was obvious that they were making these references so often because they have an agenda, perhaps to get me to ask them about God so they can have an opportunity to share the gospel, then I would give them that opportunity. It is important to them, and it probably will keep nagging at them as a duty until they have the opportunity to do it. So, I might say, "I notice you have been making a lot of references to God. It seems like that is an important part of your life, and I feel like you want to share something with me. Is that so?"

If they said yes and then "shared the Gospel" with me, I would listen to it and then probably respond in a way which affirmed some of the essential values of their beliefs while also relating them to my own spiritual practice. Say, talking about metta, as Not1Not2 suggested, or about tonglen and its relation to Christian kenotic agape.

Although this may not be your "thing," I have found that when I give missionary types room to share, and then maybe respond back with some theological questions of my own -- particularly those which may stump them, such as the relationship between Buddhist doctrine of pratitya-samutpada and the Christian doctrine of the perichoresis of the Trinity -- they may engage with me for awhile, but then they'll leave me alone afterwards. (Though some eventually have taken up Buddhist study and practice!)
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I have 2 big Buddha's in my living room and one in my bedroom! And I have told both of them that I am Buddhist. But their comments like that keep coming. Like not1 said, I think they feel like I am a "lost sheep" that they need to save.

That's a tough one because no one likes upsetting those that are close to them.

Maybe you should try the "Regan" routine from the Exorcist.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Yogamama,

If a devout Catholic came to you asking for advice, or was simply relating things that were going on in their life, would you repeatedly tell them that they needed to take refuge in the Three Jewels and follow the Buddhist Path? I imagine your answer is "no, of course not". Why not?

When you answer that question you may see these friends in a different light. My honest opinion would be to stop talking to them about any challenges in your life whatsoever. They do not have your well being or your interests in mind. They have only their need to be right in mind.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Virginia Satir has a series of meditations on what she calls a "jewel" which we can bear in mind.

On one side, the jewel is beautifully inscribed:
    THANK YOU FOR NOTICING ME;
    WHAT YOU SUGGEST FITS FOR ME RIGHT NOW,
    SO MY ANSWER IS
    "YES"

on the other side is, just as beautifully, inscribed:
    WHAT YOU SUGGEST DOES NOT FIT FOR ME RIGHT NOW,
    SO MY ANSWER IS
    "NO"
    #
    The important thing is that you maintain your own balance on the Path. "Thank you for the advice, now can we get on with unblocking this sink," seems to work well for me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    :bigclap:
    edited June 2006
    You know... I was thinking about this and thought...

"Why does this bother you? Here are two people expressing the depth of their faith, showing their love and concern for you in a difficult time. "

What would Buddha have done? Maybe you (and I at some point) need to just view this as concern, love and compassion that these people feel for you.

You take refuge in the Dharma. You find a wealth of peace in the teachings of Buddha.

I think maybe I would just look at the spirit in which these comments are given and realize, at their root, they truly do care for you.

Maybe not. But maybe they do. Maybe you (I) just need to change our point of view.

Whatcha think?

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    BF - what they are saying doesn't bother me, really. It's just that these two people are always telling me to turn to God or to Jesus and to lean on Jesus, etc...and that's just not how I deal with stressful situations. So it's not that I am irritated or anything like that, I just feel that they are trying to get me to be a Christian, and I am Buddhist. I know these two people truly do care for me very much, and I care for them as well. it's important to me that thye know and respect my beliefs. Just like I don't try to get them to be Buddhist, I expect the same from them. Know what I mean?
  • edited June 2006
    Virginia Satir has a series of meditations on what she calls a "jewel" which we can bear in mind.

On one side, the jewel is beautifully inscribed:
    SO MY ANSWER IS
    "YES"

SO MY ANSWER IS
    "NO"
    #
    The important thing is that you maintain your own balance on the Path. "Thank you for the advice, now can we get on with unblocking this sink," seems to work well for me.

Beautiful! :)
  • edited June 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Yogamama,

If a devout Catholic came to you asking for advice, or was simply relating things that were going on in their life, would you repeatedly tell them that they needed to take refuge in the Three Jewels and follow the Buddhist Path? I imagine your answer is "no, of course not". Why not?

When you answer that question you may see these friends in a different light. My honest opinion would be to stop talking to them about any challenges in your life whatsoever. They do not have your well being or your interests in mind. They have only their need to be right in mind.

I see what you are saying, but one person I am referring to is my very best friend, and she is one person in my life that I have always gone to with challenges in my life, so I would rather tell her how I am feeling than just stop going to her.
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    BF - what they are saying doesn't bother me, really. It's just that these two people are always telling me to turn to God or to Jesus and to lean on Jesus, etc...and that's just not how I deal with stressful situations. So it's not that I am irritated or anything like that, I just feel that they are trying to get me to be a Christian, and I am Buddhist. I know these two people truly do care for me very much, and I care for them as well. it's important to me that thye know and respect my beliefs. Just like I don't try to get them to be Buddhist, I expect the same from them. Know what I mean?

Yoda, I understand what you are saying.

But, I'm thinking (for myself also) that: why do we feel that we need someone to respect my beliefs? They will still be our beliefs no matter how they act. What does HHDL do when the Pope says, "God bless you, Dali."?

I find myself spending more and more time looking at how I perceive things, and does my perception incorporate Right View. I find myself spending more time subduing "what I think should happen" and "what I think is right".
    Wonderful, indeed, it is to subdue the mind, so difficult to subdue, ever swift, and seizing whatever it desires. A tamed mind brings happiness.

Let the discerning man guard the mind, so difficult to detect and extremely subtle, seizing whatever it desires. A guarded mind brings happiness.

I believe that, if in peace and harmony, you feel that you can share your feelings with these people, it shouldn't be a bad thing. But, maybe you need to change something so that this doesn't bother you so much. Ego? Desire? Expectations? Self?

You know I'm stating these thought to you in the most positive and supportive way possible, deary.

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I believe the Right View for every situation starts with compassion.

What your friends are really saying is "...we have the same pain as you and we have experienced temporary relief from the pain by taking this drug called ignorance. We blindly accept God's will and so should you."

When viewing this with compassion, you can see your friends (who care for you) are suffering. They are coping with - but not solving - the problem at hand. You love them, but can you feel their pain?

You don't have to say anything. Your silence and loving acceptance of them will speak volumes about your Buddhist path. And it will preserve your friendship which is more beneficial than any advice.

::
    edited June 2006
    And we have to remember these people haven't taken refuge in the Dharma. They are sentient beings who have decided to rely on something/someone else to support them instead of practicing Right Mindfulness, Right View, Right Speech, Right Intention, etc.

Buddhists, it seems, take more responsibility for themselves, the taming of their mind, realizing what is good and true - instead of always having to be forgiven for coming up short.

-bf
  • edited June 2006

SO MY ANSWER IS
    "YES"

SO MY ANSWER IS
    "NO"
    #

Right On!! :bigclap:
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    And we have to remember these people haven't taken refuge in the Dharma. They are sentient beings who have decided to rely on something/someone else to support them instead of practicing Right Mindfulness, Right View, Right Speech, Right Intention, etc.

Buddhists, it seems, take more responsibility for themselves, the taming of their mind, realizing what is good and true - instead of always having to be forgiven for coming up short.

-bf

YES!!! And that is what I was trying to explain to my husband last night when we were talking about this. He said the same thing you are saying about how they turn to God/Jesus instead of dealing with their real problems. So should I not say anything? The only reason I was going to say somehting is because I want them to know what I believe in, and what path I follow because I just don't want them to think they can turn me into a Christian. Is it necessary to say anything??
  • edited June 2006
    Is it necessary to say anything??

Where do you see the conflict ending?
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    YES!!! And that is what I was trying to explain to my husband last night when we were talking about this. He said the same thing you are saying about how they turn to God/Jesus instead of dealing with their real problems. So should I not say anything? The only reason I was going to say somehting is because I want them to know what I believe in, and what path I follow because I just don't want them to think they can turn me into a Christian. Is it necessary to say anything??

This is how I look at it right now - and this isn't my situation, so I may be full of shit.

It seems that YOU are having the problem. You want them to respect your decision to be a Buddhist. You want them to stop telling you to rely on Jesus/God. You want them to know and recognize what you believe in.

All of those statements start with "you want..."

Is this desire for "your wants" - your desire for them to acknowledge you're a Buddhist - really that important?

You know the truth about you. You have the ability to see through your "self" and to see what is Right.

I think you will mull this over and come to a conclusion that is right for you. A conclusion that brings you peace. I know you got it in ya.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    It seems that YOU are having the problem. You want them to respect your decision to be a Buddhist. You want them to stop telling you to rely on Jesus/God. You want them to know and recognize what you believe in.

-bf

You are right....I will mull this over for a few more days and then decide if I even need to say anything.

I knew I could come to all of you for excellent advice. Thank you all very much!
    edited June 2006
    It's just struck me that, in reading your post, BF, Yogamama is just as enthusiastic about 'spreading her word' as they are about theirs...

Like saying:-
    "Yes, i know how great you feel about your 'thang', but now I want to tell you how great I feel about mine!"

it's a natural bubbling enthusiasm we have, about telling anyone who'll listen about what a great time we're having....
    This is in no way implied as criticism, Yogamama, but I remember now, as BF nudged my few still-intact braincells, that this is how I felt when I first understood that Buddhism was what I wanted to follow....
    Perhaps you too just want to share your great stuff - !!

Start with -
    "Now if I could just get a word in edgeways.....!!"

Some really great posts in this thread, though..... :)
    edited June 2006
    Yoda is a big girl. She will figure it out.

I just hold all of us to a higher standard of thought, seeking, evaluation, etc. - since we DO take refuge in the Three Jewels. :)

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Yes, federica, you are right about that. A few months ago, I did tell my friend how I was studying Buddhism and I was really excited about it and how I really wanted to share it with her, but she (sadly) has shown no interest in hearing about it from me. Of course, I haven't brought it up again either. The truth is, I am very proud of the fact that I am now a Buddhist and I don't want these two people in my life to think that they can convert me to being a Christian. So I just feel like I have to tell them "Listen, this is what I believe, so please don't try and convert me", but in a nicer way.
    edited June 2006
    Is this the same person that keeps telling you to lean on Jesus/God?

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Yes.
    edited June 2006
    Funny, isn't it.

They are more than willing and happy to "press" you into being a Christian. They are more than willing to tell you what they feel you need to know. They have no problem going out on a limb to evangelize something to you, time after time after time after time.

And yet... their teachings leave no room for respect of other's beliefs. I'm pretty much guessing here that THAT is NOT how YOU want to be...?

Am I the only one that sees the ironing in this?

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Nope, you are not the only one. My husband saw the "ironing" in it last night as well. :) I am so worried about offending my friend that I haven't said anything yet, but she is not worried about "offending" me at all by pushing her beliefs onto me. And that is why this has been such a dilema for me. Do I say something to her and the other person in my life that is saying these things to me, or do I just keep quiet, knowing that I know the truth about my beliefs?
    edited June 2006
    "Sees the ironing in this".....

.....Is this another of your quaint 'new world' phrases, like:-

"Pushing the Envelope", and "Running it up the flagpole"....

These two, and other phrases are entering the english language this side of the Pond, as part of active current 'Business-Speke'....

http://www.pacificovertures.com/BizJargon.html

I know for a fact, this list has been published at several Business Head Offices, for distribution to members of staff, particularly in companies who have Trans-Atlantic dealings...

Sorry, YM... i'm a bit apt to go off-topic today...I apologise....

Buy two large lions, and give them dinner.

Sorted.

Heck, if the Romans could do it...
    edited June 2006
    Perhaps a little reminder of the golden rule would be helpful here. If you want others to honestly consider your belief system, then you must be willing to honestly consider theirs. If you want others to respect your beliefs, then you must be willing to respect theirs. This works for both of you.

I don't think she realizes it, but she is effectively being very disrespectful to you and your beliefs. You have expressed your choice of religion to her, and she has not honored your choice. If she is truly your friend, then your relationship will survive you telling her how you feel. Be honest, be respectful, but tell her that this is bothering you. In the New Testament Christian tradition this is the custom (if you feel someone has wronged you, you tell them so. If they do not right the wrong, then avoid them). Do not let this activity foster any hostility or ill will in you. If you want to keep your friendship in good condition, you need to be open and honest with her.

I hope things get better for you.

_/\_
    metta

P.S.- as an interesting aside, I remember coming accross a sutra (most likely Mahayana) where it was said the buddha preached a sermon and each man heard him in his own native tongue. This is strikingly similar to what was reported of the Christian Apostles in Acts, and it is considered a fruit of the (Holy) Spirit.
  • edited June 2006
    federica wrote:
    "Sees the ironing in this".....

.....Is this another of your quaint 'new world' phrases, like:-

"Pushing the Envelope", and "Running it up the flagpole"....

Nope. Buddhafoot just doesn't know how to spell the word "irony".
  • edited June 2006
    Thank you for your post, not1. I keep going back and forth with this issue, but your post has really made me think that I need to talk to her about this. I respect her beliefs and never try to persuade her in any way, so I should get the same respect from her. Right???!!! :confused:
    edited June 2006
    This is great - 4 pages, 40 posts....
    It's been interesting so far...
    At the end of the day though, Yogamama, don't go losing any sleep over this...providing you are Mindful, and you're conscious of Right View/Intention/Speech/Action (you know where this is going, right....? ;) ) You can only know that you're doing your best. Communicate as you yourself would like to be spoken to (I used to practise sales pitches and Workshop lessons in front of a mirror!) and then if offence is taken , you have a clear conscience... it's their problem, not yours....

Let us know how you get on though...When are you scheduled to see this person or people again....?
    What are you concerned will happen....?
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Thank you for your post, not1. I keep going back and forth with this issue, but your post has really made me think that I need to talk to her about this. I respect her beliefs and never try to persuade her in any way, so I should get the same respect from her. Right???!!! :confused:

Sure, you should, but don't expect it. But I was thinking about that Golden Rule thing, and and that's probably not how she's looking at it. Assuming she believes that everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus is going to hell, then she probably looks at her actions as highly compassionate. She might think, 'If I was going to suffer in hell for eternity, I'd want someone to help me out, no matter how hard their beliefs were to accept'. So we have some compassion here, but little wisdom and little genuine empathy. Be grateful that your friend cares about you.

Still, this situation would best for your friendship if you got your feelings out in the open with her. Otherwise you are going to be struggling with this indecision as long as her behavior continues. So, do you see her stopping this anytime soon?

Anyway, this is a delicate situation. Treat it with great care, whatever you do. And don't forget that not taking actions has its own negative consequences. So, what do you really want?

_/\_
    metta
  • edited June 2006
    Just an update....

I had a chat with my friend and it went so well. I am so happy with how it went. Basically, I told her how happy I was that she has been able to find refuge in God and Jesus (she is going through a tough time right now) and I told her that I didn't know what I would do without my practice, and I went on to tell her a little bit about Buddhism and how it has helped me in life. I kept it fairly brief, and just told her that although our beliefs were different now, I did not want that to get in the way of our friendship. She thanked me for telling her about my beliefs, and also agreed that our beliefs are personal and will not have any effect on our friendship. Then we both agreed to respect each others beliefs and to continue on with our wonderful friendship. Then she thanked me for sharing everything with her. So, thanks to all of you for your advice. I am so happy I talked to her about this. :)
    edited June 2006
    Schweet!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Yaaayyy!!! That's great, Yogamama!