Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm in LOVE with a Budda's Quote!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited August 2012 in Arts & Writings
All wrong-doing arises because of mind.
If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?

-Buddha

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Put this in arts & writings, but you're right... good one.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    When's the wedding, Leon? :D

Great quotation....

Can you give a source, at all?

(I'm on Facebook too much. I keep hitting 'return' to submit a post - !!)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    It sounds like an adaptation of the first 2 verses of the Dhammapada:

1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    A person can go through this lifetime in misery because the person can not change one thought. It is that difficult to change one's mind. For this reason we need to stay open-minded about things.... :p

Here is another verse from Dhammapada;

42-43
    Whatever harm an enemy may do to an enemy, or
    a hater to a hater, an ill-directed mind inflicts on oneself a greater harm.
    Neither mother, father, nor any other relative can do one greater good than one's own well-directed mind.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I read this same quote in a Thich Nhat Hanh book called Touching the Earth: 46 Guided Meditations For Mindfull Living (I think). Maybe it's from that book? It was a nice little collection of affirmations and suggestions. I would read a few meditations everyday and allow them to sink in. I would naturally start to wonder about something else, and then the next day the very thing that I was wondering about would be in the next few meditations that I was about to read. It almost seemed like the book new what I needed next. ;)

Here's the exact quote from the book:

"All wrong-doing arises from the mind. When the mind is purified, what trace of wrong is left? After repentance my heart is light like the white clouds that have always floated over the ancient forest in freedom."
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    When's the wedding, Leon? :D

Great quotation....

Can you give a source, at all?

(I'm on Facebook too much. I keep hitting 'return' to submit a post - !!)
    Source is Buddha:) But I got it from a Newsfeed.