Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Awareness of Anger

edited August 2012 in Meditation
Hi all,

If "anger" comes up during a meditation where a specific part or specific parts of the body are tense, should one relax those body party or be aware of the fact that they are tense? I find that when I relax the body part that is "angry" for instance and try to relax my whole body, it will feel like the anger is trying to travel elsewhere, and if it doesn't have a body part to manifest as a physical sensation I worry that I will be repressing it. Thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    You equate anger with body tension?

To me, meditation means watching and recognizing, but not acting. Whatever thoughts, feelings or sensations arise, just notice them and let them pass. If we attach to them and start doing things... we're not really meditating anymore. We're attaching to something and finding it undesirable, and then craving to change that circumstance and acting upon that craving... getting caught back up in Samsara.
    poptart
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Having anger is like having a hot coals in your stomach or a hot potato, you will need to handle it somehow. But instead of passing on this anger, it is probably best to take it out for a walk, let it get some fresh air, or let it sit for a while somewhere cool. We might have to work with it, change the setting, or find a better time.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Right now you are probably trying to get rid of the tense feeling by not wanting it to be there, by pushing it away. That way more anger arises. But if you approach it skillfully, you can take it away and it won't arise again. This requires right effort, and it's quite subtle to do right but the Buddha certainly advised us to do that. How to do that? When relaxing your body, be kind to it. Be gentle to your body. That way you also gladden the mind.

What @cloud suggested is another method, and very useful, but it is not the only one. There are a multiple of ways to approach it. Of those, generating the opposite of anger (so kindness) is what the Buddha said to try first. If that doesn't work, you always still fall back on letting things pass naturally.
    RebeccaS
  • When I notice anger arising I find it helpful to think of it as a little child. Do not identify with the anger because it is not you. But it is interesting that it is there. Something has set it off, something you need to address, maybe something you are not accepting in yourself.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Hi all,
    If "anger" comes up during a meditation where a specific part or specific parts of the body are tense, should one relax those body party or be aware of the fact that they are tense?
    It often seems that clearly recognising and experiencing these sensations somehow allows them to pass.