Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Symbols

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited August 2012 in Arts & Writings
@upekka asked, in another thread, what the significance of the colours in the '100% Buddhist' symbols signify:
As far as i am aware, they relate to the Buddhist flag, the colours of which (and the significance of each) is as follows:

Blue (Nila): Loving kindness, peace and universal compassion
Yellow (Pita): The Middle Path – avoiding extremes, emptiness
Red (Lohita): The blessings of practice – achievement, wisdom, virtue, fortune and dignity
White (Odata): The purity of Dharma – leading to liberation, outside of time or space
Orange (Manjesta): The Buddha's teachings – wisdom

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2012
    If this is the colour range you mean though, @upekka, I think the colours are just.... colours....
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran

Also, according to Wiki: The sixth vertical band, on the fly, is made up of a combination of rectangular bands of the five other colours, and represents a compound of the other five colours in the aura's spectrum. This compound colour is referred to as Pabbhassara ('essence of light').

As to that "100% Buddhist," yeah I think it's just marketing from a company that's trying to get rid of a bunch of swastika shirts it can't move.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, they've been going for quite some time... I got something off them about 6 years ago...
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    federica said:

No, they've been going for quite some time... I got something off them about 6 years ago...

Perhaps true, but I've got to wonder just how popular is their rainbow colored swastika emblem. Got to be a pretty narrow clientele for that one.
  • Thanks federica, BonsaiDoug

it explains well

@federica, colours are not just colours, i am definite about it, but i can not prove that or i do not want to argue about

@ BonsaiDoug, the flag is Buddhist Flag using by Buddhist in Buddhist countries when ever there is Buddhist ceremany
    i am not quite sure when 'it comes to being- born' but i know it was there for more than 55 years, because i remember i have seen it when there was Wesak ceremony (celebrating Buddha's Birth, Deatha and Enlightenment) and any celebrating going on in Buddhist Temples
    :)