Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Breakthrough? Or nothing at all?

edited August 2012 in Meditation
I've started having "sensations" during my meditation. I'll attempt to explain what I'm feeling.
After about 10 to 15 minutes I begin to feel disconnected from my body. I know the position that my body is physically in but I no longer feel my body in that position. (I'm horrible at describing this) I know mentally my hands are in my lap but at any point it feels as if they are in a different position. In addition to this I feel at times that I'm literally spinning or rotating, sometimes to the point that I feel like I'm upside down. A mild version of this would be when I feel like I'm simply sliding off of my cushion. This sensation increases the more I clear my mind/focus on breath. At times it's somewhat frightening or startling and I've stopped the meditation when it became too intense, mostly because I don't know if this is "normal". It would be easy to say that at times I actually feel like I'm flying but that would just be silly.
If anyone could offer insight to this I'd really appreciate it.
SabreLostLight

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Hi!

I would say becoming detached from the body is certainly a first kind of meditation breakthrough. When this happens, the mind may throw up all kinds of imaginations and strange perceptions, like sinking into the ground or floating or going sideways and for you it seems to be spinning. I think this happens especially when the mind isn't used to being away from the body yet.

So don't give this spinning too much importance, it'll go away over time. You may investigate it a bit, but eventually just get back to your meditation object.

Hope this helps a bit. Here are some more resources:
    As you continue your practice you mind and body becomes so light that you may feel as if you are floating in the air or on water. You may even feel that your body is springing up into the sky. When the grossness of your in-and-out breathing has ceased, subtle in-and-out breathing arises. This very subtle breath is your objective focus of the mind. This is the sign of concentration. This first appearance of a sign-object will be replaced by more and more subtle sign-object.
    People experience all manner of varied phenomena in meditation. Some people get itches. Others feel tingling, deep relaxation, a feeling of lightness or a floating sensation. You may feel yourself growing or shrinking or rising up in the air. Beginners often get quite excited over such sensations. As relaxation sets in, the nervous system simply begins to pass sensory signals more efficiently. Large amounts of previously blocked sensory data can pour through, giving rise to all manner of unique sensations. It does not signify anything in particular. It is just sensation. So simply employ the normal technique. Watch it come up and watch it pass away. Don't get involved.
    From: http://www.mindfulvalley.org/files/books/mindfulness_plain_english.pdf

Metta!
    LostLightKangaroo
  • Sabre nailed it. It's definitely a step in the right direction.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I get like that if i forget to breathe properly and go all light-headed....
    LostLightSabrecarolann
  • I was going to say also, make sure it's not from too much or not enough oxygen. After that, notice when it's happening and then let it go. We feel this disconnection from our bodies as we work through the meditative states.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    It’s been said, I think.

We aren’t designed for sitting motionless. The brain stops getting the feedback it usually gets from moving muscles and from touching objects. As a result the brain messes up its mental picture of our body and its position.
    I think the brain gets used to it after some time.
    You don’t have to stop meditating. Just moving a little bit could help (like stretching your back).

Also concentrating on the breath may lead to breathing too little or too much. For me, the breath gets very light, when I try not to manipulate it in meditation. You’ll have to find your own balance.

Good luck!

• Thanks to all! Good to know I'm on the right track.