Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eliot Pattison: Inspector Shan Series

SileSile Veteran
edited August 2012 in Arts & Writings
I was wandering through a tiny bookstore in a tiny Wisconsin town, when the proprietress asked if I were seeking anything in particular. To be polite, I said I was interested in books on Buddhism. She said, "Oh yes - I've got a novel you'll like." I'm not really into novels, but didn't want to be rude, so went home with the hardback she handed me - The Skull Mantra, by Eliot Pattison.

WOW. It is just beautiful. Exciting, tender, compassionate, thought-provoking, and guaranteed to fill your head with the sights, sounds, smells and atmosphere of Tibet and China, as well as fascinating tidbits of Buddhist history.

Without giving anything away, I can say the protagonist is a Chinese detective who has spent a lot of time among Tibetans - the series brings out the best of both cultures, imho, (and doesn't shy away from their difficult aspects):

http://www.eliotpattison.com/inspector.html

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you!
  • SileSile Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Thank you!

Sure thing! I don't think you'll be disappointed. A rare writer, imho. He also has other topics, but I particularly like the Inspector Shan series.