Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Long Time No See

edited June 2006 in General Banter
Hey everyone! I know it's been a while since I was here. I've been busy with school and battling fibromyalgia (in that I hurt and am tired, but for those that don't know, it's not fatal). Still have the fibro, of course, but I now I am at least on summer break. So, I plan to spend a little more time around here. Goodness knows, I could use a little guidance right now. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing after I graduate in December, but it's complicated because of the fibromyalgia. The idea of the week is some sort of computer programming and/or web design. I've just started reading up on the former, though, and I haven't done web pages for about 5 years meaning that much of what I know is quite old-fashioned.

I did manage to go to part of the local Change Your Mind Day yesterday, and even dragged my husband. ZenLunatic did a great job coordinating it. I think the chanting scared my husband, though. Oh well. He did like Zen's cello playing, as did I.

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Hi

My best friend has fibromyalgia. Her doctor told her that any of his patients with fibromyalgia who wont take 800 mg of Malic Acid twice a day would need to find another MD. Something to ask your doctor about.

Where in Florida are you? I live in Panama City and cant find any Buddhist groups anywhere close to me. With my health I can not drive more than 30 minutes. I am wish I could have been there with you yesterday.

Russell
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    Welcome back, Dharmakitten... I'm so sorry to hear about your condition... I wish you all the very best in being able to get on top of it and at least control it to a point where it is minimal rather than prominent...Russell's advice sounds good to me....

Good luck with the job/career swing too.... make sure that what you do brings you happiness, as well as an income - !!

nice to see you again - !! ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Yes... I'm glad you're home, young lady.

You are soooooooo grounded! What makes you think you can just take off like that and not tell anyone where you're going!?!?! I've been worried sick! You could have been kidnapped or who knows what!

Go to your room. Wait until your father gets home.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    aing wrote:
    Hi

My best friend has fibromyalgia. Her doctor told her that any of his patients with fibromyalgia who wont take 800 mg of Malic Acid twice a day would need to find another MD. Something to ask your doctor about.

Where in Florida are you? I live in Panama City and cant find any Buddhist groups anywhere close to me. With my health I can not drive more than 30 minutes. I am wish I could have been there with you yesterday.

Russell

Malic Acid? Hmmm, never heard that one before - and I have heard a lot of things (some helpful, some strange, most don't work unfortunately). I might have to try that, though I don't think I would like her doctor. I can understand a doctor suggesting a treatment to try, but not pressuring someone like that. I'm glad my doc doesn't. Goodness knows, I have tried a lot of things. A lot of things don't help, and are just a waste of my money and time. Then some things that do help a little bit make me too sick in others. I'll definitely look up the Malic Acid, though, and talk to my doc about it.

I live in Gainesville. I love Panama city, though. I don't know about any Buddhist groups there, either, though.
  • edited June 2006
    federica wrote:
    Welcome back, Dharmakitten... I'm so sorry to hear about your condition... I wish you all the very best in being able to get on top of it and at least control it to a point where it is minimal rather than prominent...Russell's advice sounds good to me....

Good luck with the job/career swing too.... make sure that what you do brings you happiness, as well as an income - !!

nice to see you again - !! ;)

• edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Yes... I'm glad you're home, young lady.

You are soooooooo grounded! What makes you think you can just take off like that and not tell anyone where you're going!?!?! I've been worried sick! You could have been kidnapped or who knows what!

Go to your room. Wait until your father gets home.

-bf

LOL! Slap me with a wet noodle ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    No!! No slapping DharmaKitten!! Only gentle hugs for you, my friend.
    Remember; pain is the very best opportunity to practice mindfulness, patience, compassion and single pointed concentration. I know that sounds crazy but even just seeing it from that perspective can be a great help. Try this trick: when you're experiencing level "6" to "10" pain, smile. Keep practicing your smile, no matter how silly you feel. After a while you'll see what I mean. It's like your face is telling your brain how your body is actually feeling. It's really cool.

Much love to you, DharmaKitten!
  • edited June 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    No!! No slapping DharmaKitten!! Only gentle hugs for you, my friend.
    Remember; pain is the very best opportunity to practice mindfulness, patience, compassion and single pointed concentration. I know that sounds crazy but even just seeing it from that perspective can be a great help. Try this trick: when you're experiencing level "6" to "10" pain, smile. Keep practicing your smile, no matter how silly you feel. After a while you'll see what I mean. It's like your face is telling your brain how your body is actually feeling. It's really cool.

Much love to you, DharmaKitten!

Thanks :) And no, that doesn't sound crazy. My sense of humor has been one of my best coping mechanisms.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited June 2006
    welcome back deekay,have u ever try acupuncture or massage to treat your fibromyalgia?
  • edited June 2006
    I have tried some massage. It feels good, but it only helps short term. I have looked into acupuncture, but the studies of it for fibromyalgia are quite contradictory - too much for me to spend that kind of time and money right now while there exist other things that I can try.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I've been thinking, DharmaKitten, and I don't know much about fibromyalgia but does it have anything to do with neuropathic pain? Because if it's the nerves in your body, a prescription drug called Gabapentin, or Neurontin, is the medication I use for my nerve damage and pain and it's helped me immensely. I actually wouldn't be able to function without it and it's very important that I keep my body moving or I'll end up in a wheelchair or in bed. Without the Neurontin I can't move very much at all and immobility gives rise to all sorts of other problems. It's not a narcotic, which was very important for me because I don't get along well with narcotics and it doesn't interfere with my mind so I can meditate. If I couldn't meditate I would have to stop taking the meds. , or at least lower the dosage enough so I could. The pain I have is actually too distracting for meditating so it's the lesser of two evils sort of thing.

Of course, prescription meds. may not be the direction you want to go in at all but I thought I might just throw it out there since it's been such a help to me. My doctor has also been talking to me about another drug for neuropathic pain called Lyrica which he's had a lot of success with. He's been prescribing it for patients will all sorts of pain and they've gotten quite surprising relief using it. Both of these drugs are usually prescribed for the pain from shingles and in lower doses have been very successful in treating other pain in people who don't want to, or can't, use narcotics.

Hope I haven't offended you by suggesting these drugs and I hope you're not suffering too much. Remember, if you need a little tea and sympathy you know where I am.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Oh, I almost forgot. There's a book called "Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness" by Jon Kabat-Zin that Jerbear and I are reading and using in our practice for our pain. Unbelievably helpful!! It's mindfulness practice and meditation for dealing with pain that works like a miracle. I highly recommend it.