Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Effort

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited August 2012 in Meditation
we need to have effort to meditate

see the following would work with you

First effort = we need to get rid of unskilful thoughts that are not already arisen (kama vitakka, vyapada vitakka, vihimsa vitakka)
when we breath in and there is mindfulness we are in First Effort

Second effort = we need to get rid of unskilful thoughts that are already arisen (loba, dvesa, moha)
when we breath out and there is mindfulness we are in Second Effort

Third effort = we need to develop skilful thoughts (saddha for Buddha, dhamma, sangha- still a worldling should try to develop to sovan stage, a sovan should try to devlop to sakurdagami stage etc.)
the next breath in and there is mindfulness we are in Third Effort

Fourth effort = we need to maintain the skillful thoughts we have already developed (dyana,marga citta etc.)
the next breath out and there is mindfulness we are in Fourth Effort

anybody can try this and see the difference

:)
GeminiVI

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The factors of Right Effort are what you seem to be talking about. I've never seen these applied to meditation itself before...
  • this works for me
    that is why i want to share it with others
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    Zen master Thich Nhat Han emphasize this Mindful Breathing technique quite a bit.
  • First effort develops loving kindness
    second effort develops compassion
    third effort develops sympathetic joy
    fourth effort develops equanimity

would like to share what i got from the morning meditation