Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When Religion Kills~Pakistani 11 Year Old Girl Facing Death Penalty

Telly03Telly03 Veteran
edited August 2012 in General Banter
I'm glad there is an international uproar over the jailed Pakistani girl facing a death penalty for accusations that she had burnt pages of an Islamic study book in her possession... it shows that barbaric traditions, thousands of years old, can no longer continue unseen and unchallenged.

But for this girl, will change happen fast enough to save her life? Currently, the mandatory penalty for blasphemy in Pakistan is death, and the pressure from the religious community within the country to uphold this strict control may be stronger. She's lucky that the police nabbed her before the crowd was able to pull her from the house and stone her, but that still may be her punishment. In the meantime, she sits in jail missing her parents.

Reminds me of a Christopher Hitchens qoute: "If you want to get good people to do wicked things, you need religion"

Comments

• DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    METTA SUTTA
    This is what should be done By one who is skilled in goodness, And who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, Straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, Contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, Not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing That the wise would later reprove. Wishing: In gladness and in safety, May all beings be happy. Whatever living beings there may be; Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none, The great or the mighty, medium, short or small, The seen and the unseen, Those living near and far away, Those born and to-be-born, May all beings be happy! Let none deceive another, Or despise any being in any state. Let none through anger or ill-will Wish harm upon another. Even as a mother protects with her life Her child, her only child, So with a boundless heart Should one cherish all living beings: Radiating kindness over the entire world Spreading upwards to the skies, And downwards to the depths; Outwards and unbounded, Freed from hatred and ill-will. Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down Free from drowsiness, One should sustain this recollection. This is said to be the sublime abiding. By not holding to fixed views, The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision, Being freed from all sense desires, Is not born again into this world.
    Telly03
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think this is a great example on what I (and everyone with a functioning brain stem) usually say: that fundamentalism and dogma need to be brought to an end. It is preventing humans from progressing.

That being said, just the belief in a deity, with perhaps some rituals, isn't "dangerous". If there were Muslims, but no fundamentalists, I guarantee that this would not be the issue that it is.

And I'm sorry, but (to me) Christopher Hitchens was just an incoherent drunkard who needed to sell some books. He had a few excellent points, but most just missed the marker. I'd take Nietzsche or Voltaire over Hitchens any day.

Is there an update on the girl?
  • I should not have read that. There is practically nothing I can do to immediately help her. So I'm stuck sitting here feeling the itch to run, but I can't.
  • I know an Islamic scholar who, among other things, teaches Arabic. We compare Islam with Buddhism and find very little difference between the two (I love her, she is almost a chain smoker and cusses like a Navy Boatswain's mate when she looses at chess). Believe me any Islamic scholar would find these jerks not only totally ignorant of Islam but Muslim rednecks.
  • Islam is defined by the people who practice it... Some are loving, while some are hateful. So Islam is both loving and hateful. Unfortunately for this girl the country is run by the hateful Muslims.

@daftchris I used the Hitchens quote for the quote, not as a plug for his character. I could care less how much he used to drink.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    @Telly03, @DaftChris,
    Telly03 said:

...."If you want to get good people to do wicked things, you need religion"

Actually, that wasn't Christopher Hitchens... it was Steven weinberg.
    "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. "[12]”
    (Under "Other Intellectual Contributions")
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @federica thanks... I heard it from Hitchens though, just as I quoted.

Latest news on this case, as of yesterday, they are going to hold her in jail for another two weeks... I hope that means that they release her despite the "mandatory" death sentence.
  • Songhill said:

I know an Islamic scholar who, among other things, teaches Arabic. We compare Islam with Buddhism and find very little difference between the two (I love her, she is almost a chain smoker and cusses like a Navy Boatswain's mate when she looses at chess). Believe me any Islamic scholar would find these jerks not only totally ignorant of Islam but Muslim rednecks.

It was a Cleric that called the police on her
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @Telly03

I see. Just a reaction I guess. His alcoholism is irrelevant, but I guess I'm just one of the few non-theists who just doesn't get, or care, about his appeal.
  • federica said:

Actually, that wasn't Christopher Hitchens... it was Steven weinberg.
    "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion."

That's a wonderfully apt quote, I'm going to remember that.

I hope this girl is doing alright, and that the system isn't so harsh as it would seem from the outside.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Telly03,
    Telly03 said:

I wasn't trying to be an irritating prissy little know-all...in case you want to quote it anywhere else, it helps to know the source. No offence... ;)
    Latest news on this case, as of yesterday, they are going to hold her in jail for another two weeks... I hope that means that they release her despite the "mandatory" death sentence.
    I DO hope so..... :(

Telly03
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Telly03 said:

But now there's a legitimate worry that she will be released after an appeal, but that many such released people accused of the same "crime" are then murdered by civilians.

• @federica yes I know... And Steven said it better, so thank you, I may use it again :)
  • An interesting turn in this case... The Cleric that called the police on this girl was arrested. A member of the Cleric's Mosque accused him of stashing pages of the Quran in the girl's bag. If he is found guilty, he faces life in prison... you get life in prison for defiling the Quran, while "Defaming Muhammad" warrants death.

I can't comprehend the morals of someone framing an 11 year old girl for a death penalty because of religious differences. This is really bothering me, like I just lost some faith in humanity. This is what we all are, or at least what we all are capable of. This isn't just someone else, this is me too, and it makes me sad :(
  • Apparently the girl is 14, not 11... at least according to one follow-up news report.
  • Telly03 said:

An interesting turn in this case... The Cleric that called the police on this girl was arrested. A member of the Cleric's Mosque accused him of stashing pages of the Quran in the girl's bag. If he is found guilty, he faces life in prison... you get life in prison for defiling the Quran, while "Defaming Muhammad" warrants death.

I can't comprehend the morals of someone framing an 11 year old girl for a death penalty because of religious differences. This is really bothering me, like I just lost some faith in humanity. This is what we all are, or at least what we all are capable of. This isn't just someone else, this is me too, and it makes me sad :(

All the more reason to practice dharma and gtfo of this world.
    Sile
    Telly03 said:

An interesting turn in this case... The Cleric that called the police on this girl was arrested. A member of the Cleric's Mosque accused him of stashing pages of the Quran in the girl's bag. If he is found guilty, he faces life in prison... you get life in prison for defiling the Quran, while "Defaming Muhammad" warrants death.

Bizarre as it may sound, this may have something to do with the fact that not only is she a girl, but she is handicapped.
    Within a patriarchal society, where perceived defects can by some, be considered a curse, you have to wonder at how this is all unfolding....

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    It looks like she's been released on bail.
    Here's the update: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/christian-girl-accused-of-blasphemy-in-pakistan-is-released-on-bail/2012/09/08/2616744c-f9cb-11e1-a945-6cd36411d000_story.html

I think she and her family need to do whatever they can to get as far away from that place/country as they can... I can't imagine living in fear like that.