Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hey Brigid...a cat question!

edited June 2006 in General Banter
So my new kitty woke up this morning with what looks like pink-eye?? He likes to do yoga with me (and by that I mean...lay on my yoga mat while I am trying to do yoga in the morning!), and when he came out this morning, I noticed that he could not open his left eye. As the morning went on, he was able to open it, but it looks swollen and pink. What do you think?? Pink eye? Allergies??

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    Conjunctivitis? Infected follicle?
    Warm salt water... 3 times a day....with the tiniest drop of lavender....Not too much.....

should help......

PS:
    I don't have a cat, but I used to suffer from conjunctivitis, and the symptoms sound pretty much the same to me....

.....Difference is,
    I don't eat "Whiskers" cat-food.....
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks, fede! I will give that a try. Now, how in the world do I hold down a cat while squeezing stuff into his eyeball?? Should be interesting!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    You wrap him tightly in a towel...not so tight as to cut off the circulation, but tight enough to contain movement and struggling...you know....like a baby 'wrapped up in swaddling clothes'... Papoose-like.... Sometimes, it's a two-person job...Get your husband to help - he's the 'man' of the house, ain't he? Tell him it's all part of his 'Hunter-Gatherer' duties....keep him trained....! :lol:
  • edited June 2006
    That's so funny....I just talked to my husband about putting eye drops in our cats eye, and he said "No problem...just wrap him tightly in a towel and it's a pice of cake." So we will give it a whirl tonight. I'll let you know how it goes and if I end up with any cat bites or scratches. Someone needs to video tape this.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    It sounds like he may have something caught in his eye, but there could be any number of reasons. I find a warm tea bag of chamomile to be soothing to their eyes and it may help to dislodge whatever may be in his eye. It's also really easy to administer. Just squeeze the tea bag over his eye and wipe it across gently if there's no obvious sign of an object in his eye. Or he may have scratched it by mistake. Same remedy. Sometimes a cooled tea bag is better for swelling so if it's still quite swollen go with the cool, but dripping, tea bag. If it doesn't get better, or if it gets worse, it's vet time 'cuz you don't want to mess with their eyes.

To paraphrase a veterinarian's quotation I once read:
    "Cats are rather delicate creatures suffering from a variety of illnesses, but I've never met a cat who suffered from insomnia."

Nothing to do with what we're talking about but I love that (paraphrased) quotation. Just thought I'd throw it in for the hell of it.

My cats have a lot of eye problems, mostly because they were all strays and barn cats that came to our house and begged to be let in. Pinky had the worst case and had to operated on for an in-turned lower lid that kept getting irritated, swollen and sore. He couldn't even see things properly, or judge distances and he couldn't look up at us when we were standing right in from of him, I guess 'cuz it hurt to do so. But now after the operation he's all better and can look up at us perfectly. He's all bright eyed and happy and I'm filled with joy every time I watch how much better he is and how he's perked up. He's so full of energy and joy now. His bad eye also gave him a chronic sinus infection but we got him some help for that, too, and although he's not completely cured he hardly ever sneezes anymore. God, how I love that cat. He's the calmest, most loving, trusting and affectionate creature I have ever know. Uh...oooopps! There I go again.

Keep us posted!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Oh, I almost forgot. You can try to do it really casually when he's resting and relaxed. You don't even have to pick him up. Just stroke his head and the area where his whiskers are (they usually love that 'cuz there's all sorts of nerve endings there) and his cheeks and generally soothe and love him and casually drip some of the tea into the corner of eye and let him pat it with his paw and keep petting and soothing him with your voice and telling him he's a good boy. You can tilt his head up pretty easily when he's calm and the chamomile won't sting but he'll still be bothered by the wetness but that will pass. Just do it in the most casual, non traumatic way and distract him with the tip of your finger lightly scratching his nose and quickly finish by just petting him and reinforcing the calmness and love. Think of how good pediatricians give shots to little children and you'll know what I mean. If you make a big fuss or use a towel and all that chances are the memory will be imprinted negatively and he'll lose some trust in you. Just remember that forcing your will on any cat will make them not only lose trust in you but dislike you as well. You always want to keep an escape route open to him at all times. And if he wants to escape, let him. My father always makes the mistake of holding them against their will like he's a little kid. The result is that they avoid going near him because he disrespected their nature and that's threatening to them. Always let them escape when they want to. Very important. You can't impose your will on a cat. You can only ask for their cooperation.
    edited June 2006
    You see, Yogamama....? If you want to know, ask a person who actually owns a cat!
    What did you ask me for? What do i know?!? I wish people wouldn't ask me things I know nothing about....!
    *stomp stomp stomp*

That'll larn ya!:lol:

Good call Brigid....

next time I have conjunctivitis, you'll find me on your sofa.....

Purring.......
  • edited June 2006
    Ooohhh...other cat lovers. :)

I was just telling the ladies at work about my newest cat...wanna hear a cat story?

I've got 5, all rescued. The most recent addition I stole.

About 2 years ago my mother got ill, and stranded in Florida for a year with medical problems/operations. In the meantime, her house in Massachusetts was taken over by heroin addicts...squatters....who chased out my retarded brother (after stealing his checkbook and emptying his bank account) and eventually the house was lost.

At one point, I was at the house and discovered a kitten there. It sidled up to me...the friendliest little thing, and I noted that it was walking with difficulty. Apparantly it was a street cat, feral, and it had been hit by a car a month before. The heroin addict/squatter then said 'It doesn't seem to be getting any better.'

I admit it....I stole the cat when they weren't looking...probably the only thing that was salvaged from that whole incident. The doctor informed me that it's elbow was shattered and had fused, and that the rear leg was completely broken off from the ball joint and there wasn't enough bone left to put a pin in.

What I find amazing, and humbling, is how this cat goes through every day. I can't imagine running around on broken legs, and yet this animal has the sweetest temperament.
  • edited June 2006
    harlan, what a sad story! I am glad you stole that kitty! I don't know how people can be so mean to animals.

Brigid...last night, we were putting drops into our kitty's eye, and he did not like it AT ALL. I felt awful. I did as you said...I would snuggle with him, pet him and he was purring so loud. Then my husband would sneak in a drop, and he would run off. And now it seems like he is a little bit afraid of me. :( He did sleep on my pillow last night, so I guess he isn't too upset with me, but it breaks my heart when he runs aways from me now.

I don't want him to be mad at me!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    federica wrote:
    Conjunctivitis? Infected follicle?
    Warm salt water... 3 times a day....with the tiniest drop of lavender....Not too much.....

should help......

PS:
    I don't have a cat, but I used to suffer from conjunctivitis, and the symptoms sound pretty much the same to me....

.....Difference is,
    I don't eat "Whiskers" cat-food , But I know Buddhafoot enjoys it...... :lol:

Curious...

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Definitely...at what point DID you eat Whiskers cat food? And was it any good??
    edited June 2006
    Tee hee hee...!
    R
    The privilege of one who is on her last legs....!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    harlan, what a sad story! I am glad you stole that kitty! I don't know how people can be so mean to animals.

Brigid...last night, we were putting drops into our kitty's eye, and he did not like it AT ALL. I felt awful. I did as you said...I would snuggle with him, pet him and he was purring so loud. Then my husband would sneak in a drop, and he would run off. And now it seems like he is a little bit afraid of me. :( He did sleep on my pillow last night, so I guess he isn't too upset with me, but it breaks my heart when he runs aways from me now.

I don't want him to be mad at me!

That's totally O.K! You let him run away which is the most important thing. I can't stress enough how important it is to give them an escape route. Holding him when he's struggling will raise panic in him that will turn to rage and later, resentment. It's O.K. if he's a little angry right now because he'll get over it if you keep showing him love and respect.

Keep the tea bag or wet, clean cotton or sponge with whatever drops you use (not human drops, never use human medicine, and nothing that stings) next to the couch or chair where you cuddle with him and calmly, quietly pat his eye whenever you have the chance. If he gets mad and wants to run, let him. Make soothing sounds and talk to him. Let him know that it's important and that he'll feel better if you do it, that it's for the best. Comfort him, because he's still a bit of a child. Let him set his boundaries with you and when you acknowledge those boundaries he'll notice. He really will. Give yourself time to get to know each other, watch him closely and your beautiful, loving nature will do the rest.

Every cat has a completely unique personality, often more so than humans. Getting to know him is going to be one of the great joys in your life. They're the most interesting, intriguing and beautiful creatures I've ever come across, which is saying a lot since I think all creatures, even spiders, are beautiful. But there's something about getting to know a cat over the months and years and building an understanding and an ability to communicate with them that just blows me away. Sometimes I'll be doing something in my room and one of my cats is with me and we interact and communicate and it feels like I'm with another human, but a much less difficult human.

Here are some tricks you can try:

The eyes have it. Cats communicate through their eyes a lot. One way I've noticed in particular is by blinking. When you're telling him you love him, try blinking your eyes. Watch when he blinks his. It's subtle but I can tell so much from my cats by their blinking. If you close your eyes while facing your cat I think this means that you're letting them know you trust them. If you lift your chin up and show your neck while your eyes are closed I think this is the same thing (or can be, depends on the cat) but even more so.
    Just watch the eyes and try to respond with yours.

Watch the ears and tail. You already know what ears back in irritation or anger looks like. Sometimes their ears go back because they're listening to something behind them and not because they're irritated. His tail can tell you a lot. But you have to get to know his personality before you know what the different flicks and wags mean. My cat Tom has 3 distinct ways of communicating with his tail. Short, fast flicks of the tip means irritation. Slow wags at the tip are often pleasure. No movement is peace and calm. It'll be different for yours.

Experiment. Let him know you're trying to communicate. Watch him closely and respond as best as you can. He wants to communicate as much as you do. (Well, maybe not quite as much, lol!) Mindfulness practice with cats, I've found, is also a precious opportunity. It's amazing how a whole new world opens up as you go along. And it's a different world with each cat. They're amazing. And when in doubt, love, love, love. They will change to suite you if you're consistent and patient. I think they have a program in their brains that stops them from coming when we say "Come here". I swear, I do. They do things on their own time according to their own schedule. Respect that, be patient and you're off to the races.

Have fun!!!

Harlan,

What an incredible story. I nearly stole a cat two years ago from a bunch of young guys who had cut off his whiskers. But I couldn't get him out. He went to someone else though, thank goodness. I have five, like you and they're all strays. Your description of how that wee kitten was able to be sweet while walking on broken legs is a quality I noticed when I first came to live here with the cats and that was my first breakthrough with my own pain. When my own cats were sick or hurt they didn't allow suffering to become part of their lives, they just continued to live regardless. I know this is genetically imprinted on them so they don't show weakness or vulnerability in the wild but it impressed and inspired me to do the same with my pain.

They also take turns helping me and being with me during the tough parts. Sometimes, even before I know things are about to get really bad, one of them won't leave me alone, even for a second. When times are good they're nowhere to be found but even before I know times are going to get to rough they're right there with me throughout, calm and peaceful, lying on my bed, purring. They take such good care of me. We take care of each other. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. lol!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    You see, Yogamama....? If you want to know, ask a person who actually owns a cat!
    What did you ask me for? What do i know?!? I wish people wouldn't ask me things I know nothing about....!
    *stomp stomp stomp*

That'll larn ya!:lol:

Good call Brigid....

next time I have conjunctivitis, you'll find me on your sofa.....

Purring.......

LOL!!!

I'll take good care of you, Fede! lol! Just as soon as I look up "conjunctivitus".
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Awww, poor baby :(
    How old is he? I remember when my cat, Neko, was a baby, she always used to sneak under furniture and stuff and get little specks of dust in her eyes. Hopefully it's just some irritation.