Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karen Armstrong.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited September 2012 in Faith & Religion
Has anyone read any of her books? If so, what do you think of her as a Theologian and as an author?

I'm reading her books "A History of God" and "The Case for God" and I think they are well-written and well thought out books. Very informational on the history of humanity & religion and they actually rationalize the belief in a God.

Comments

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I have not read Armstrong, but just in case you want both sides of the discussion you should also read Doubt: A History - The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson by Jennifer Michael Hecht.

I'm not trying to be contrarian or anything, but I figured it's possible that this book can be quite helpful to a curious mind that is trying to understand a subject in its entirety. It's a very good book and the author has a bit of a sense of humor. It really might just be the other side of the coin that helps you get the whole picture of the history of God and it's human co-dependants.
    DaltheJigsawDaftChris
  • I've read a History of God. It is a great book explaining the history of monotheism.
  • Karen Armstrong is a writer - not a theologian.
  • I would suggest caution.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @TheBeejAbides

Thank you for the book recommendations. I agree that to get a good grasp of both sides is recommended.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Citta said:

I would suggest caution.

Why?

• I would ask you for time to let me reflect on my answer if I may.
  • Karen Armstrong is a writer - not a theologian.

More correctly an historian.