Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you know what Buddhism is all about?

2»

Comments

• The double negative was an error, thx ;)
  • Ow no it wasn't an error. haha, got me to think twice as well.

Correction:
    As long as we don't know the truth, it isn't particularly useful to stick to a specific view.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    vinlyn said:

Thank you, Sabre, for admitting you're deluded. :lol:

But seriously, ultimately we must remember, in all these issues, some of us are correct, some of us are incorrect.

;)

The fool who knows that he is a fool can, for that reason, be a wise man; but the fool who thinks that he is wise is, indeed, called a fool.” - Dhammapada 63

But on a more serious note, more on topic as well, one can know what the dhamma is about, have right view, but still be deluded.. How? Deluded here doesn't mean not understanding reality, but not being ready to embrace it as it is. In Buddha's terms, that's also still delusion. That's why there is a distinction between levels of realization. One level is seeing dhamma, others are accepting it. So wrong view and delusion aren't the same.

I thought that was quite interesting to add, because I don't think a lot of people know this.
  • Yes, there is an importance difference between the two. Having wrong view in a situation can happen easily due to our ingrained thought and behaviour patterns.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    andyrobyn said:

I can see the value and importance of making the distinction between pragmatic and ontological based on the OP, as Jason did in this discussion .

Yes, though teachings can be both pragmatic and ontological, and the distinction can be very subtle.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Sure, though ontological statements have less application in practice and it is from practice that we develop understanding
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    andyrobyn said:

Sure, though ontological statements have less application in practice and it is from practice that we develop understanding

Are the Four Noble Truths ontological or just pragmatic?
  • My point has been that seeing them as ontological statements does not lead to the necessary application. I would have stayed a practicing Catholic if the application of ideas led to the changes I needed and have found in my Buddhist practice - being a Catholic only took me so far.
  • cozcoz Explorer
    i am still new to Buddhism altho its been a wonderful journey so far
    from all that i have come to understand is that love and understanding of our self
    and others seems to hold the most truth thank you all this is my first post
    Coz
    Sabre