Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The film that killed the Ambassador.

12346»

Comments

• PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS:
    I can't remember who it was, but a philosopher said "all that men do, they do it in the belief that it is for the highest good".
    Nah, we're just trying to get by, and some of us get tangled up trying to follow signs on the road to nowhere. They usually say 'heaven if...' or 'heaven when...'.

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, but they wouldn't follow those signs in the first place if they didn't believe following them is in the highest good.

Whenever you decide to do something you do the thing you believe to be best.
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS:
    Yeah, but they wouldn't follow those signs in the first place if they didn't believe following them is in the highest good.
    It's sweeter and less noble than that ultimately, but I don't disagree.

Our will is unborn. It can seem to be confused and hindered but it cannot be broken. Try to break it, and you will break yourself on it.

America is breaking itself in this way. So is political Islam. Maybe the dust will settle one day, and something new will arise, or something that's always been there become clearer.
  • RebeccaS:

It's sweeter and less noble than that ultimately, but I don't disagree.

Our will is unborn. It can seem to be confused and hindered but it cannot be broken. Try to break it, and you will break yourself on it.

America is breaking itself in this way. So is political Islam. Maybe the dust will settle one day, and something new will arise, or something that's always been there become clearer.

Oh, I didn't say it was pretty :lol: For a rather nasty example, the murderer believes that murder is the best thing to do. There's nothing noble about that. He just thinks it's the best option, the best idea.

Think of something you really regret doing. It might make you feel terrible now, but at the time it seemed like the best thing to do, so you did it.
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS:
    the murderer believes that murder is the best thing to do. There's nothing noble about that. He just thinks it's the best option, the best idea.
    What we believe or don't believe is best might not have anything to do with it. We're arrogant to assume that we are the agents of change.

As I say, our will is unborn. It comes before us.