Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A question about a story

edited June 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

a friend ;) told me about this forum and thought I might find the answer I'm looking for here.

About 5 years ago, I was very interested in Buddhism and came across a story about a monk who ? decided to wander about ... when night came he decided to rest. He had a cup of water next to him. In the midst of the night we woke up because he was thirsty and drank from the cup and went back to sleep. In the morning he found out he didn't actually drink from the cup at all but from a half cracked open skull.

Can anyone here help me out. Where can I find this story? Is the author known if so who is he etc...

Thanks!

By the way, you Buddhist dudes have some might cool smilies :rocker: !

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited June 2006
    To me that sounds like a story I've heard, But I've heard a better one...there was this girl who had this boil on her face...she picked it and spiders came out...

okay, (ill be serious) I think it is a Buddhist story, (the skull business) But i'm not sure of the relevace/parable it is supposed to demonstrate.

regards,
    and welcome-stick around, you may find some answers
    :ausflag:
  • edited June 2006
    The story you're referring to is that of the Korean Zen master Wonhyo. Here's one version of this story:

While traveling to China to study Buddhism there, Wonhyo, a Korean Buddhist monk, crawled into a cave to rest. The journey had been arduous thus far, and Wonhyo was parched. It was night, and he had only the moonlight to see by. Miraculously, he found a perfect bowl of water, and slaked his thirst with it. The water was clean and pure and delightful.

The next morning, Wonhyo awoke to discover that the cave he'd chosen was full of skeletons, and the "bowl" had been none other than a human skull. He vomited in disgust, but suddenly had a moment of realization: the water had been wonderful when he hadn't known about the true nature of its container, and disgusting only once he'd known he'd been drinking out of a skull. Such dualities-- wonderful/disgusting, etc.-- reside in the mind. Wonhyo further realized that he had no need to go to China to explore such a truth, since it was already contained inside his own skull.
  • edited June 2006
    hey wunderful story..
    thanx
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hi, Collin! And a big welcome to you!

And thanks for bringing up that story. I'd never heard that one before. I'm not surprised that Genryu knew it, though.

Nice to see you, Genryu.
  • edited June 2006
    Then the feeling is mutual Brigid. :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks for replying! Thank you, zenmonk_genryu for the story!

I might stick around...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    No, sorry Collin...You WILL stick around now you're here...no flitting in and out for days on end, and then disappearing for a while, without so much as a with your leave and by your leave - once in, you gotta stay...Besides, it's your go to make the tea...

Hello Collin, & welcome - !!
    Good post ZM....

Hello folks! rare visit, but always here in spirit...!
  • edited June 2006
    Welcome, Collin! And nice to see you Genryu and federica! :) Great story.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hi, Fede! Good to see you, too!