Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An odd but soulful question

edited June 2006 in Faith & Religion
I recently asked this question on a tech forum but got rather... media oriented responses (which isn't really supprising due to their massive influence on everyone today) so I thought I'd ask it in a much more... thoughtful surrounding. This is a serious question and, despite how... unorthadox it may seem, this, I believe is the correct forum for the question (Why? You may ask, well, I'll go into that privately if anyone is seriously interested).

What does the word/term "Dragon" mean to you? What does it make you think of and why? Try and be descriptive and verbose if you can as it helps provide insight into your answer. Also what is a Dragon to you? An evil monster? A creature of myth that should be killed whenever possible? An upwardly mobile steed? A noble creature of legend? Creatures that still walk with us today?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    It is an odd question... and there may be some soul in there somewhere, I'm just not hearing any Marvin Gaye while I answer :)

I haven't really thought about it too much. Dragon means a lot of things given the particular environment in which it's being discussed.

Dragon's in fairy tales and myth and go about destroying villages or hoarding gold in a lonely mountain - you view them as the villain - because that's their role in that particular setting.

Dragons in Chinese mythology can be very noble and wise creature - desired by humans because of these very traits.

The term dragon used to describe "komodo dragons" is just a term used to describe a very unique creature in, possibly somewhat of a, romantic or mythological way.

I think it depends on the circumstance with how a particular person has been educated and programmed during their life.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    I think, in expansion to the last line of your post, I'm asking people to consider, through everything they have seen/heard/experienced in their life. I know it's a very broad question, but that is actually part of the exercise here.
  • edited June 2006
    Dragons, in my opinion are two things.

They are guardians (or representatives of guardians) in an eastern culture where there is no 'guardian angel' and for this reason can be seen guarding houses and temples. People here may think of dragons as a force protecting them from demons and other such horrible creatures. For this reason they are highly respected for their honourable and serene nature in the face fo adversity.

They are also people. The very same qualities, described above, in dragons when found in people can give the person a dragon like nature. Many names in Asian countries incorporate the Dragon symbol or noun in order to instill the name-bearer with some of these qualities.

No doubt you have met some dragons in your time - they are the people who act when it is time to act and rest when it is time to rest. Their energy is never scattered, it is always concentrated. They can be terrifying but this power is never used for evil ends. Indeed, it is evil that is terrified by the dragon.

It goes, therefore, without saying that I have a great respect for these creatures, in whatever form they take.

vfsh00809ik.jpg
  • edited June 2006
    A beautiful and refreshing change from the usual response, thank you.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    We have known dragons in Britain for a long time. Indeed, the earth power which dowsers and others find in our landscape, along the trackways, was called wouivre or 'serpent power'. In the Actae Merlinii, Merlin Ambrosius's power is recognised when he identifies the two fighting dragons beneath Vortigern's tower.

It isn't until the Roman Christians arrive that dragons became demonised. This is best summed up in the legend of Saint Patrick banishing the 'serpents' from Ireland and the Saint George and Saint Michael myths.

You may be amused to learn that the 'Michael' line of wouivre which runs from the Atlantic coast of Ireland all the way to the Middle East, a dragon line, is studded with churches dedicated to Michael (e.g. Saint Michaels's Mount in Cornwall) but that when it reaches the Balkans, the churches become places sacred to Phoebus Apollo!

There is a lot to learn about 'dragons' but I would just like to add that, in 'gnostic' wrirings, the Eden serpent (a dragon in another form) is seen as the messenger of the Mother, Sophia, who brings wisdom into the world against the wishes of the demiurge Yahweh!
  • edited June 2006
    I have to admit it is a nice change from the norm than to have the usual responses that people believe Dragons are like the ones in D&D (highly stereotyped, colour coded) or like the mindless monsters in many a myth. Thank you for clarifying the point at which the main demonisation started, I was wondering when that main turning point was.
    edited June 2006
    Hodgetts wrote:
    I have to admit it is a nice change from the norm than to have the usual responses that people believe Dragons are like the ones in D&D (highly stereotyped, colour coded) or like the mindless monsters in many a myth. Thank you for clarifying the point at which the main demonisation started, I was wondering when that main turning point was.

Hodgetts,

If in doubt, blame the Romans or the Church: you are more likely than not to be right!

I find it fascinating that dragons, flying serpents and the rest appear to haunt so many mythologies across so many centuriesx and miles.

My statue of Kwan Yin shows her standing on a dragon.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Kwan Yin standing on a dragon. Is the dragon her/our protector? Dragons carry water in their mouths and put out house and temple fires by blowing water on them. It's good to have forms of dragons on the corners of the buildings to protect them from fire. This is Chinese, I think.

For me, dragons are old, gentle giants, protectors from all sorts of dangers. Mythical whimsy. Psychological archetypes. Primordial shadows.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    To some, a dragon epitomises a Mother-in-Law....

Many a true word said in jest.....
    edited June 2006
    The way I 'read' the dragon in my statue is thus:

She represents wisdom, the underlying Wisdom of the Void which is beyond all good and all evil, the place where no shadow falls. She lies among the waters of the Abyss. On her back rides Kwan Yin, the avatar of Compassion, in the mudra of universal loving-kindness. The winds of samsara blow her clothes but she is unmoved by them. She holds the vessel of inexhaustible compassion which she pours straight into the dragon's jaws, tempering wisdom as a smith tempers steel.

But that is just my reading - and it is only part of the statue. Each part has come to have its story and, through that, its meaning and bearing on my life practice.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Can you tell us more, Simon?

Your interpretation has stirred up all sorts of thoughts in me. It makes such perfect sense to me now that Kwan Yin would ride a dragon's back. Very beautiful.

I have a friend on MySpace who loves Kwan Yin and she is the center of much of my friend's practice. May I send her your interpretation?
    edited June 2006
    For me, Brigid, dear Goddess-daughter, reading an imge is like reading a text of scripture: it must challenge me, engage me and connect with those archetypes which resonate within me.

When it is a statue like my bronze Kwan Yin, there are a number of ways to see:

* There are the 'classical' interpretations and meanings which can be researched: the mudra, the clothes, the expression, the headdress, the 'halo', etc. Learning about these symbols and their traditional meanings links us with the ancestral society from which they came.

* There is the storyteller's way, which is the one that I use. In this, all the stories that I have heard and all the symbols that I have learned are no more than grist to the mill. The story arises from that mix, connecting an 'alien' atrefact such as a Chinese statue with my own long mythology. Thus, the Abzu (Abyss) of Sumer and Egypt is there; all the British, French, Greek and Chinese dragons of which I have heard reconnect in new ways to produce this dragon. I do not claim that my reading is the only one or, indeed, the best. It is temporary and useful for meditation.

This "hermeneutic" can be applied to anything around us. Blake knew it:

To see the world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    And eternity in an hour.

Buddleia growing out between the bricks of Brunel's railway arch holds all the truths of impermanence for me. The empty cross of a Protestant church and the crucifix of the Catholics tell different stories as do the thousands of Buddha figures. The important thing is to make them personal, reflections of the truth we strive to glimpse.

Does that make sense?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Every single word of it and I have often stopped and taken notice of the grass growing up through the concrete as well. I understand exactly what you're saying and you said it so well.

Your Blake quotation reminds me of one of my favourite poets, Gerald Manley Hopkins, who taught me to see the wonder right in front of me.

I'm going to save your post because I know there will be times when my imagination runs dry and I'll need it to inspire me again.

Thanks, Simon. Wish we could share a pot of tea and a chat by the fireside.
    edited June 2006
    Brigid wrote:

Thanks, Simon. Wish we could share a pot of tea and a chat by the fireside.

You are very welcome, Brigid. And who knows? My 16-year-old wants to go back to Canada to visit his cousins in Ontario again so I may be dragged onto an airplane yet again!!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I'm in Ontario! If that ever happens you must let me know and I'll come to you, wherever you are. I'll bring the tea and firewood.
  • edited June 2006
    Dragon is nothing but a mix of animals which were a major fear among early humans. They consist of snakes, vultures, and teeth like the tigers. All these animals combined make up a dragon. It is strange however that dragons have appeared in multiple countries well across the globe.
    edited June 2006
    Dragon is nothing but a mix of animals which were a major fear among early humans. They consist of snakes, vultures, and teeth like the tigers. All these animals combined make up a dragon. .....................

And this you know how?

• edited June 2006
    A dragon is a creature not to feared or loved.. its an element of power.. and yet syrene.. at element of majesticity .. If a dragon was a person.. I'd say it would be Arnie
  • edited June 2006
    I can't say I'd class "Arnie" as the things you previously listed Celebrin, heh.

It's occured to me that I shouldn't really have asked this question not really wishing to hear the answer, so I turn the thread over to those that have used it most and take my leave.
  • edited June 2006
    Hello all,
    My Kuan Yin posses qualities of both male and female. I've read that she was originally he. I like to think that my statue demonstrates pure compassion beyond sexual boundries or styles of thinking.
    To be honest I know so little about dragons I dare not comment. Actually I dare not comment about most things....this way I feel "safe", and hopefully I don't sound like an a**hole.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    You never sound like an a**hole, Esau.
  • edited June 2006
    i would .. ..

anyway I'll be quiet this thread offers little left to say
  • edited June 2006
    As the media type answers tell us.....Scientifically they do not exist because they have not found any fossels. So does that mean they never really did exist? Or, have they just not looked in the right places yet? Western cultures think of them as monsters. Eastern cultures think of them as symbols of protection, luck, health, wealth and wisdom. They hold them in great respect for their magic, power and beauty.

I personally like baby dragons. I think it's a mom thing. I think of western looking dragons but with all the qualities of an eastern dragon. What this says about myself, I'm not really sure. Maybe confusion. I think that anything is possible. So why can't there be dragons? Just because we haven't seen them doesn't mean anything to me. There are lots of creatures that are not known to us that we discover every year. So why not dragons.......
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hi, Inthedharma!

Welcome!! So glad to see you here!

I love baby dragons, too. I wonder if dragons ever did roam this earth. I like your open mind. Maybe dragons are primordial memories, or memories from other planets we've lived on. Who knows? They make for good tattoos, though. lol!

I'll see you at MySpace later.

Your friend,
    Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    i would .. ..

LOL!