Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Touchable Buddhism

I'm very new to Buddhism (even tough a lot of my beliefs have tied in for a long time but that's another story) and this may sound very silly.

Anyway, I'd like to carry something physical with me 24/7 just as a reminder until I can get around to establishing a psychological one. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• A picture of HHDL?
    A mala 'rosary'
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    A picture of Buddha and a Mala :-)
  • I use to have mala when I first got into Buddhism and then realised I was attached the look of it more than anything else. I ended up in total with some like 10 or so things on my left wrist, festival bands, mala, random bracelets etc. As long as you see it for what it represents and not an identity thing it's all good.

One thing that did help me was to note how everything is impernanent and out of my control during the first year or two. So maybe if you have a picture of say the Buddha or Dalai Lama, maybe you could write on the back something like "This is just how things are" or something similar. That means when you get let down by someone, when your phone gets stolen or a relationship ends you can flip the picture over and remember, that is just the way things are right now.
  • edited September 2012
    Can you wear jewelry? I wear a necklace. There are so many Buddhist symbols (conch shell, umbrella, dharma wheel, lotus, knot, etc.) Do a search on the 8 symbols and see which you like. If you search on Buddhist jewelry there are a few companies that specialize in this.

If not jewelry, they make a card to go in your wallet with the 4NT and 8FP on it. You could probably make your own. (I've also seen "Om mani padme hum"), but if you make your own you can put whatever you want actually.
  • Dont know where you are from, Chinatowns the place to get Buddha/Bodhisattva shaped amulets. They have Jade, which is very popular but higher priced or other materials. Then go to your nearest Sangha for blessing.

Mainly Chinese Mahayana styles, but The Buddha amulets are across the board.

cheers
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I used to carry some short mala beads, that were just slightly too small to slip over my wrist. So I had to twine them around four fingers, which was a good reminder... if I forgot about them, I would drop them, or they would get in the way, and that brought me back to the present.
  • yeah im in a simular situation to you lol i have opted for some wrist maala lol
  • This isn't quite as close to the body, but I have a little spinnable prayer wheel hanging from my rearview - when I'm feeling beleaguered or worried, I can reach up and give it some spins. I find that comforting. My sister and I took it apart one day to see if it really had scrolls inside bearing thousands of Om Mani Padme Hums - and it did.

amandathetexancazjessie70
  • edited September 2012
    Your breath. You'll never forget to bring it with you.
    Inc88
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Your breath. You'll never forget to bring it with you.

Good one. I use physical sensation, but the principle is the same.