Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metaphor of Buddha's teaching to all beings..

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited October 2012 in Philosophy
From my teacher's talk on compassion..

A buddha gives compassion spontaneously and without effort yet precise.

It is like the moon and is reflected in bowls of water. However many bowls of water each reflects the moon. In our bowls we just have to clear up the water so that the bowl properly reflects the moon's light.

We relax as we abide by the moonlight. Rather than thinking of the moon to 'fix' us.

Comments

• This very interdependent universe is clarity emptiness in one seamless functioning.

These sounds, smells, tastes, sensations, colors (shapes, forms), thoughts. They are all dharmas.

When the dharmas are apprehended with wisdom, they are liberation.

When the dharmas are apprehended with ignorance, they are bondage.

This ceaseless activity, coreless and utterly absent.

How it rips the heart boundlessly naked, open, and intimate.

Recognition of this is recognition that all is in fact the compassionate activity of the bodhisattvas. Suffering appears to soften our hearts and to throw us on the path towards liberation. Freedom appears as our basic sanity. The buddha dwells in the appearance, yet is beyond, no ground.

Some thoughts for you.
    Jeffrey
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    What a lovely concept.
    Easier said than done, but that is always the case in Buddhism.
    Fortunately, there are plenty of practices that help us move in that direction.
    I keep on tripping up over my own self-absorption and self-interest, and it muddies up the water for me!