Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Am Thinking of Trying To Get Into An MBA Program...

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited October 2012 in General Banter
Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, ideas or anything you guys can share with me? I am 2 months away from getting my BS in Psychology and I was thinking of getting my Masters in Counseling, but the student loans is going to be too much, ($50,000) and it will not be a good investment, as I will not be able to pay it off. I was looking into getting my MBA and then focusing on Project Management, Marketing or Management...

Thanks,
Leon

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited October 2012
    This looks good: Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Global Management
    Or
    Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Technology Management
    I'm leaning towards Technology Management. I do have a over 7 years experience in Marketing, but it seems overdone? I am wondering if there is an oversaturation?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Leon, we've been through this before. Didn't you find a school that offered a good chunk of scholarship aid to MA students? JFK U?

I don't know about MBA's anymore. I'd heard they've become a dime a dozen now. What do you think you'd be best at--counseling, or Marketing, etc.? I kind of like counseling--helping others end suffering, and all that. :) Very Buddhistic. It all depends on where your greater interest and talent lies. You'll get more bang for the buck that you invest in your education if you follow your heart and your natural gifts.

I get that it's a huge financial risk. You're wise to consider carefully. Good luck. _/\_ And dig up as much loan-free financial aid as possible.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Dakini said:

Leon, we've been through this before. Didn't you find a school that offered a good chunk of scholarship aid to MA students? JFK U?

I don't know about MBA's anymore. I'd heard they've become a dime a dozen now. What do you think you'd be best at--counseling, or Marketing, etc.? I kind of like counseling--helping others end suffering, and all that. :) Very Buddhistic. It all depends on where your greater interest and talent lies. You'll get more bang for the buck that you invest in your education if you follow your heart and your natural gifts.

I get that it's a huge financial risk. You're wise to consider carefully. Good luck. _/\_ And dig up as much loan-free financial aid as possible.

JFk was way too expensive and the school did not seem to be in good standing for a Masters in Counseling. I am feeling stuck, scared and just confused. When I'm done, I feel like.."What is Next?" I work in Marketing/Merchandising and as a Supervisor, but for counseling.....I have little experience, but in the Marketing/Merchandising industry I have at least 8 years. Thus, I would feel like I have to start over. I am thinking of volunteering and going from there? Many programs are raising their fees and are not offering much help for students who finish their program. I mean no Job Placement or anything like that.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    What do you want to do as a career? an MBA is a sort of stepping stone on the path...
  • I know from talking with you about this, but think of the money, that is a lot of debt to take on man, a lot. But if your heart is set on it then I guess it is something to be taken seriously. I would just advise to take time to think things through and weigh up all options and pros and cons. Good luck Leon.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • LeonBasin said:

JFk was way too expensive and the school did not seem to be in good standing for a Masters in Counseling. I am feeling stuck, scared and just confused. When I'm done, I feel like.."What is Next?" I work in Marketing/Merchandising and as a Supervisor, but for counseling.....I have little experience, but in the Marketing/Merchandising industry I have at least 8 years. Thus, I would feel like I have to start over. I am thinking of volunteering and going from there? Many programs are raising their fees and are not offering much help for students who finish their program. I mean no Job Placement or anything like that.

I see. Then Marketing/Merch sounds like it would make the most sense. Have you talked with your employer to see if there would be any support there for doing an MA in the field? (I know I'm probably dreaming, but it never hurts to ask. It would also show them you're serious about staying with the company and making a career of it.)

Most universities do have a Job Placement Office. I don't know how well those resources are functioning in a tough economy and job market like today, but it's their job to help students near graduation. I'm thinking of the MA level. On the BA level, well... don't expect them to come up with anything in your field, but they may be able to give you some job leads to entry-level stuff with companies, banks, etc.

But you already have a job, so you should be able to do better than entry level anywhere. Can your existing job give you more hours, or are you already full-time? "What's next" may be just sticking with what you have until you can get more feedback from as many people as possible (incl. present employer). Your best bet may be to create a resume that includes your 8 yrs. experience in Mktg/Merch, and peddling that around, to see if you can get something better than what you have. Your school's placement ctr. (if it has one) will be able to help you put together a good resume, format it the most effective way, and so on. Placement ctrs. sometimes offer classes on resume composition.
    DaltheJigsaw