Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist "Hunting"

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited October 2012 in General Banter
It's simple, instead of a firearm, take a camera. The goal being to get as close as possible to the animal. I like to do this every now and then when I'm not actually out for meat. I'll go for a hike and hunt down an animal the exact way I would if I was planning a kill. I'll find tracks or scat, and begin to track it. It is fun as well as a little awe inspiring when you follow the animal to places in the forest you'd never think to go. Just please remember to wear hunter orange if you're outside in-season. And take a survival knife or something, just in case you need a tool.

I haven't managed to shoot any photos yet this season, though during bow season here the deer seem unusually skittish.I'll keep at it and if I get any good ones, I'll post them here. If any of you have any pictures of wildlife you've taken, feel free to share. And remember, please don't litter, leave only footprints!

Comments

• I_AM_THATI_AM_THAT Veteran
    edited October 2012
    during bow season here the deer seem unusually skittish
    Isn't that interesting, I wonder why that is... :-/
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Because the deer can smell the people in the woods so they stay away. People usually start going into the woods a couple weeks before season opens to stake out their area, to bait if it's allowed (it's not here) and to set up deer stands. Because of the large presence of differing and conflicting human scent in the woods, the deer move areas, and stay on the move during hunting season.

If you set up a deer stand, that is one of THE best ways to get good wildlife photos. If you sit there a couple hours a day, if you can, the wild life will come to accept you as a harmless part of the landscape, and will land next to you, climb trees near you, take a nap under your tree, etc. That is, as long as you are ok with a bear taking a nap under a tree you are in, lol, but bears are settling in to hibernation in a lot of areas by the time deer hunting starts.

We feed the birds, and the deer come to our bird feeders in the late winter/early spring. They'll come right up onto our deck and look at our dog through the glass. We'll have them standing on our deck looking in the patio door while we eat dinner, lol.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    A deer sticking its tongue out at our dog (my husband put a close up of the deer's face in the picture). And our neighbor lady who hand feeds the deer. She shakes a can of corn and they come running.
    zombiegirlWonderingSeekerSile