Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

interesting analogy

edited June 2006 in Buddhism Basics
A couple of years back I had a book on astral travel and chakras. In one of the books, they were discussing meditation for astral project and out-of-body experiences. It described that in order to find a balance in meditation, it is like teetering on a balance point.

Stand straight up, and lift one foot off the ground, you'll notice that your balance teeters back and forth on your supporting foot. After a short while, you'll find that you settle into a balance that was there all along, but since you were actively "trying" to balance, you could not find the balance point.

My thoughts are it is the same with meditation, with too much effort, you teeter back and forth and are not able to find balance. After awhile you find that you settle into a balance that was there all along, you just had to quiet yourself down to actually find it.

kind of interesting, makes sense tho, what does everyone think?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I don't know...

I remember taking a martial art test one time and we had to stand on one leg/foot with the other leg sticking out in a side-kick position.

Bear in mind - we meditated after each class - so we knew about calming the mind and body down and focusing.

Until I built up the muscles in my ankle... it sure was hard keeping my balance.

Once my ankle got stronger - it became easier.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Gampopa's buttocks!
    edited June 2006
    I concur.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Wait...I don't understand!
    edited June 2006
    <shhhh!... just humor him, Brigid>

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Gampopa showed his buttocks to Milarepa, telling him that he was fevealing the final secret. They were covered in heavy, ancient calluses from years and years of constant practice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Thank you, Simon. I get it now. He must not have had a cushion. lol!