Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's consciousness?

2»

Comments

• music said:

It is not just a thought. It is the history of our cosmos.

Are you sure it is not a thought?
    Did such a history exist in Aristotle's time?

or in the words of a well known koan

Is there sound when there is no one listening? In other words without the organ of hearing can you even know what sound is?

Consciousness and its object arises together.
    Ear + sonic waves gives rise to sound.
    Mind + sound gives rise to thoughts like its characteristics(loud, harsh etc.) then more thoughts (like a human cry, mewing etc.)
    There is me here listening to the cry over there is nothing more than a thought. I was born at this time and this place are also thoughts. That piece of rock called Diaoyu by China and Senkaku by Japan are nothing more than thoughts but see how much anguish such thoughts caused.

One must always question one's assumptions.

• pegembara said:

music said:

Yes. They just didn't know about it.
  • RebeccaS said:

pegembara said:

music said:

Aristotle's history was "complete" at that time as ours is "complete" now as those that come after are "complete" in the future.

Do you think you will ever have "real" story? Think atoms, electron, quarks, muon, God particle, matter-energy etc.

That is why there is a teaching by the Buddha that goes like this:
    "I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear. But at the same time, I tell you that there is no making an end of suffering & stress without reaching the end of the cosmos. Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & intellect, that I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.045.than.html

David
  • What exactly are you trying to say - that consciousness is eternal and is not an emergent property of matter?
  • Ourself:
    Buddha still recognised the waves or he wouldn't have bothered acknowledging us let alone save us from suffering.
    Have you carefully read the Diamond Cutter Sutra?
    And yet, although innumerable beings have thus been led to Nirvana, no being at all has been led to Nirvana.' And why? If in a Bodhisattva the notion (samjñâ) of a 'being' should take place, he could not be called a 'Bodhi-being'. 'And why? He is not to be called a Bodhi-being, in whom the notion of a self (âtma) or of a being (sattva) should take place, or the notion of a living soul (jiva) or of a person (pudgala).
  • pegembara said:

RebeccaS said:

pegembara said:

music said:

Aristotle's history was "complete" at that time as ours is "complete" now as those that come after are "complete" in the future.

Do you think you will ever have "real" story? Think atoms, electron, quarks, muon, God particle, matter-energy etc.

That is why there is a teaching by the Buddha that goes like this:
    "I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear. But at the same time, I tell you that there is no making an end of suffering & stress without reaching the end of the cosmos. Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & intellect, that I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."

I don't think anyone is under the impression that we have the whole story about anything. Everything is subject to change upon acquiring new information, but we're closer to the truth than at any point in history. Our understanding has taken a pretty linear route of evolution.

So yes, the history of the cosmos existed, of course it did, just as the things they'll discover a hundred years from now probably exist today. Our not knowing about it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, it just means that we don't know.

That's a really nice teaching btw.
    David
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2012

'What is this?' Is an ontological question. 'How do we end suffering?' Is a soteriological question.

I think you're creating a misleading dichotomy here. Teachings like dependent origination are both ontological and soteriological.
  • RebeccaS said:

pegembara said:

RebeccaS said:

pegembara said:

music said:

So yes, the history of the cosmos existed, of course it did, just as the things they'll discover a hundred years from now probably exist today. Our not knowing about it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, it just means that we don't know.

That's a really nice teaching btw.
    That is the point. The "world" is nothing more than your 6 sense consciousness - sights, sounds, smells, taste, touch and mental objects. There is nothing else outside of them.

Don't know means does not "exist" yet. Spaceships did not exist before their invention, black-holes did not exist before their discovery. They are nothing more than the product of our minds -
    "All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made." Dhamappada 1
    "By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form....."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Why have compassion for something that doesn't really exist?
    Songhill said:

Ourself:

Buddha still recognised the waves or he wouldn't have bothered acknowledging us let alone save us from suffering.
    Have you carefully read the Diamond Cutter Sutra?
    And yet, although innumerable beings have thus been led to Nirvana, no being at all has been led to Nirvana.' And why? If in a Bodhisattva the notion (samjñâ) of a 'being' should take place, he could not be called a 'Bodhi-being'. 'And why? He is not to be called a Bodhi-being, in whom the notion of a self (âtma) or of a being (sattva) should take place, or the notion of a living soul (jiva) or of a person (pudgala).
    Yes.

A being is not the same thing as simply being. One is a noun and one is a verb. He wasn't a teacher, he was teaching.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Labels are funny... Drop them away and what is there?
  • An epiphenomenon of brain activity. Part of the wonderful imaginary realm of objects of consciousness. Tat tvam asi. Thou are that. Magnificent manifestation of the void.
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Jumbles:

So tell us how consciousness is an epiphenomenon of biological matter shaped as a brain.
  • Without the brain, where is consciousness?
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    pegembara said:

That is the point. The "world" is nothing more than your 6 sense consciousness - sights, sounds, smells, taste, touch and mental objects. There is nothing else outside of them.

Don't know means does not "exist" yet. Spaceships did not exist before their invention, black-holes did not exist before their discovery. They are nothing more than the product of our minds -

"All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made." Dhamappada 1
    "By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form....."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html
    So if you're blind, objects don't exist? And if you're deaf, sound doesn't exist?

That's doesn't make any sense. Sound still exists if you're deaf, you just can't hear it. To deny that seems like solipsism to me. Not knowing about something is just ignorance of it, not its lack of existence. Orherwise, the things we think we know must then become true. So the Earth must have been flat at one point because we believed it to be so. And I'm not saying that I'm definitely correct in what I'm saying, I might be missing the point altogether, this is just what it looks like from where I'm stood.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Ourself:
    Teachings like dependent origination are both ontological and soteriological.
    I've seen the Pacific ocean from opposite shores, but I've never seen a skandha or a self. Suffering makes ideas necessary; it doesn't make them real.
  • Music:
    Without the brain, where is consciousness?
    That doesn't prove material causation which is to believe mental events are caused by material events which makes mental events, including consciousness, inert.

What you are suggesting is somewhat akin to a person who believes an orchestra is in his radio because he hears music coming from the radio. But radios only amplify invisible signals, they don't create music—brains may well act in one respect as consciousness amplifiers. From a Buddhist perspective brains (and bodies) are mind created thought-forms which are imperfect representations of mind itself. This imperfect representation is what we in the west call matter: a psycho-physical body (avec brain) and a material universe. Samsara is the continuation of this process until mind recognizes (samâdhi) itself fully.

Another plausible theory, no consciousness, no brain since it is consciousness which continually collapses a superposition thus bringing a virtual world into view, including virtual brains and virtual skin bags.
  • But how can something solid like brain or body come from something so subtle as consciousness?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    RebeccaS said:

So if you're blind, objects don't exist? And if you're deaf, sound doesn't exist?

That's doesn't make any sense. Sound still exists if you're deaf, you just can't hear it. To deny that seems like solipsism to me. Not knowing about something is just ignorance of it, not its lack of existence. Orherwise, the things we think we know must then become true. So the Earth must have been flat at one point because we believed it to be so. And I'm not saying that I'm definitely correct in what I'm saying, I might be missing the point altogether, this is just what it looks like from where I'm stood.

I'd suggest that the 'world' in this instance isn't referring to the Earth, but is a metaphor for the five aggregates, the six sense spheres, and/or the internal world of fabricated experience (e.g., SN 35.23, SN 35.116, SN 12.44, AN 4.45, etc.).
    edited October 2012

I think you're creating a misleading dichotomy here. Teachings like dependent origination are both ontological and soteriological.

That's one interpretation. :)
  • Jason said:

RebeccaS said:

I'd suggest that the 'world' in this instance isn't referring to the Earth, but is a metaphor for the five aggregates, the six sense spheres, and/or the internal world of fabricated experience (e.g., SN 35.23, SN 35.116, SN 12.44, AN 4.45, etc.).
    But isn't it true that there was a time when consciousness was not? Only matter existed?
    edited October 2012
    music said:

But isn't it true that there was a time when consciousness was not? Only matter existed?

It's possible, but beyond the range of my knowledge to answer. Whatever the case, the sutta in question seems to be dealing with the subject of views and how dependent co-arising relates to the development of right view and the cessation of suffering, not cosmological realities of the universe. Your mileage may very, however.

Ourself:

Teachings like dependent origination are both ontological and soteriological.
    I've seen the Pacific ocean from opposite shores, but I've never seen a skandha or a self. Suffering makes ideas necessary; it doesn't make them real.

For one thing, that isn't my post you responded to (mine is at the bottom of the last page) and for another, what you just posted is yet just another idea.
    edited October 2012
    Hi Ourself:
    For one thing, that isn't my post you responded to
    Whoops :dunce: . Sorry.
    for another, what you just posted is yet just another idea.
    If dependent origination is incorrectly reified, can one point out that it's not self-existent?

I'm doing so because when I saw DO as self-existent, I was unable to see it in my experience.

It's not my idea that people should take away from this; my hope is rather that people may take another look at how dependent origination is suffering. I know I don't get any points if they do.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

Jason said:

RebeccaS said:

@RebeccaS - No worries- this thing take time to sink in for me too.

@ music

Everything that "you" or consciousness can know, literally the Universe in within your 6 senses, not outside.
    Whether things exist before there was consciousness is unknowable. It lies beyond range. You can only "reason" that they do. As they say, the eye cannot see itself, it can only see its own reflection which is not the same thing.
    "Monks, I will teach you the All [World]. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All[World]? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. [1] Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.023.than.html
  • Jason said:

music said:

It's possible, but beyond the range of my knowledge to answer. Whatever the case, the sutta in question seems to be dealing with the subject of views and how dependent co-arising relates to the development of right view and the cessation of suffering, not cosmological realities of the universe. Your mileage may very, however.
    My point is, in the beginning there was only inorganic matter, and only later on did 'life' come about. Based on that, one can say that world exists regardless of consciousness.

I've seen the Pacific ocean from opposite shores,

So do you think there is an ocean, or is it just a figment of your imagination? Or both? ;)

I'm doing so because when I saw DO as self-existent, I was unable to see it in my experience.

Aren't the experiences of contact, feeling, craving and clinging observable in experience? DO is describing a series of dependently arising processes, it's both objective and subjective.
    Jason said:

I'd suggest that the 'world' in this instance isn't referring to the Earth, but is a metaphor for the five aggregates, the six sense spheres, and/or the internal world of fabricated experience

That's one intepretation. ;)
  • Music:

The canonical information (Nikayan & Mahayana) paints an extraordinary picture of consciousness (P., viññâna; S., vijñâna). While mind (citta) is fundamental in Buddhism, consciousness is a splitting of mind into a mutually conditioning dyad of subject and object. Under this condition, we are consciousnesses trapped by mutual conditioning because we harbor misrepresentations of mind (in this sense absolute Mind). This imperfect representation is otherwise called the material universe.
    edited October 2012
    music said:

My point is, in the beginning there was only inorganic matter, and only later on did 'life' come about. Based on that, one can say that world exists regardless of consciousness.

I understand your point, but my point is that it's still an assumption, a theory. An educated one perhaps, but not something I could ever observe for myself. Sure, it's assumed that matter preceded mind, consciousness, intellect, or what have you, that the latter evolved much later on out of the former. But if you ask me, "Isn't it true that there was a time when consciousness was not?", I can honestly only answer one way, "It's possible, but beyond the range of my knowledge to answer." It could be, for example, that if the multiple universe theory is correct, life (and mind) preceded the existence of this universe. Or it could be that consciousness is part of the fabric of the universe itself, which material sense organs are simply able to tune into like a radio does radio waves. There are numerous possibilities.
    edited October 2012

Hi Ourself:

For one thing, that isn't my post you responded to
    Whoops :dunce: . Sorry.

No worries.
    for another, what you just posted is yet just another idea.
    If dependent origination is incorrectly reified, can one point out that it's not self-existent?
    Forgive me but I can't quite make sense of that... How would dependant origination be "called into being" or "made to be real"? And how would it be done incorrectly?

Dependant origination is a process, not a thing to materialise...
    I don't quite get this either... Maybe I'm a dope but it seems as if you are saying that you see no action in your experience. In my experience, action is all there really is. Afterall, what experience arises with no cause? Experience is action...
    It's not my idea that people should take away from this; my hope is rather that people may take another look at how dependent origination is suffering. I know I don't get any points if they do.
    For me, I see dependant origination as a process that when recognised, helps immensly in the allieviation of suffering.

I agree this isn't about points... It is about right understanding.

edited October 2012
    As I replied to fivebells in the other thread, the response to your questions about dependent origination, and to PedanticPorpoise's questions, is to cite the Buddha's speech on dependent origination again.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

I've seen just enough of the results of accepting this response to know that this is satisfactory, providing it isn't clung to.
    edited October 2012
    @PrairieGhost;

Ok, but that sutta doesn't talk of dependant origination. That is Buddha saying why he didn't get into that which he didn't get into.

But he did indeed get into dependant origination.

Is that the sutta you meant to post?

Not to go in circles but @Pegambara already posted the Rohitassa Sutta which does talk of dependant origination quite nicely.

We are dependant origination, not just products of it.

edited October 2012
    And here is just a snippit from the Maha-nidana Sutta: The Great Causes Discourse
    "Thus, Ananda, from name-and-form as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form. From name-and-form as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging. From clinging as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, aging, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, and despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.15.0.than.html

Action is all there really is. Saying we don't really exist is foolish even as there is no individual self to say exists. We are together and not really individual... As action.

DOH! Not that it changes my points but when I saw DO, I thought "action" and it didn't dawn on me it stood for dependant origination.

I am not a typist, I am typing.

Forgive me for the overkill of posts but wanted to clarify my mistaken notion, lol.
    edited October 2012
    Hi Ourself:
    The world is dependently originated, that is why we call the world empty.

Emptiness is dependently originated, that is why we call it the real world.
  • What isn't consciousness?
    ourself said:

I'd say we're examples ( illustrations? ) of DO.

What isn't consciousness?

Form, perception, feeling and formations. ;)