Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nibbana, the tathagatha and death

I decided to start a new thread for this reply to @PrairieGhost, since it seems the thread it came up in has been "sunk" (I assume not because of the discussion between the pair of us. If I'm wrong about that I apologize, and please delete this thread.)

Regarding the formless realms: yes, 7th jhana is the "sphere of nothingness" on that list. I suppose you could say that perception of nothing and feeling nothing is still perception and feeling. In any case, I know it is not nibbana itself, and not even particularly useful, since it hardly ever happens.

Regarding the Dharma Overground and "gaps" in consciousness: I have had those experiences. I don't know what they mean. I don't accept the Dharma Overground model in its entirety, I just like its seriousness, its modernity, and its helpful community, plus I think they are very solid with regard to the fundamentals of the practice, which is the most important thing for me at this stage. There is really not much to argue with them about, when it comes to the fundamentals. My main problem with the movement is the focus on progress and attainments, which leads to grasping and becoming in its own right for some of the participants there.

Regarding the mysterious nature of cessation (of perception, feeling, etc.) and the tathagatha: I really think it's more accessible than that, and you and I may have been talking past each other to some extent. The tathagatha is simply what's left when the fermentations have been ended. The reason for the lack of language for what's left when that happens is made clear in the Buddha's fire analogy:
"...suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."

"Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply. [And so on for the rest of the skandhas.]
I.e., you can't talk about the Tathagatha because it is not a thing, it is simply the absence of the process of suffering. This is further complicated by the fact that the Buddha sees ontological positions as a kind of fermentation in and of themselves, and refuses to take one:
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
Now, I don't claim to be enlightened, and I have a position on this, which I acknowledge is suffering. My view is that just as a fire can be started on a site where another fire has gone out, suffering can start back up again after release. This is not to say that it's the same person, because there's no coherent basis for identification, but it can arise in the same physical body, just as if I light a piece of paper on fire, extinguish it, then relight it, the two fires aren't the same, they're just using the same fuel. I also believe that the actions we take to support our lives are suffering, whether there has been release prior to that or not. So when the Buddha obtained and ate food, the five skandhas were operating in support of that. Of course, he presumably did not identify with the five skandhas at any moment of their operation, and therefore could be said to be tathagatha and free of suffering. But the operation of the skandhas is suffering in and of itself.

I think that is what you meant when you said "I don't breathe, so [I don't crave for breath.]" But this seems glib and dubious to me. The practical, phenomenological question is whether there would be a sense of identity with the tremendous disturbance of asphyxiation. If it would, then that claim is just words/intellect, and does not represent any meaningful shift from the conventional mode of experiencing the world. By this, I don't mean to imply that you are badly trained, just that I think disidentification from the five skandhas in a given situation is contingent and subject to fluctuation, and that therefore cessation is not a terminal state, but arises and passes away like all other aspects of experience. To me, the actual cessation of suffering is the key metric (what I measure and therefore classify myself by. :), though I must admit, my capabilities in this regard are quite modest.

Regarding nibbana and death, I am curious about your view of the Godhika sutta. In it, Godhika repeatedly fails to obtain release through practice and decides to kill himself. The Buddha says he obtained release as a result of that.

Comments

• PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Hi fivebells:

I don't think you are badly trained either, but you may be a little unhappy, and I think that's the wrong place from which to form views.

I read your post on computer programming and I understand. I have felt the same way and held the same view.

The hard part about advising someone, is that you're trying in as gentle a way as possible to say that everything that person thinks is completely wrong, not even wrong, fundamentally irrelevant. And I'm not yet skillful enough to do that and it not be seen as a challenge, or a claim.

But I think you are quite disciplined in your mind and practise. What has served you best will have to be let go, of course.

This:
    The rote physical behavior leads to a strong mind-body identification
    isn't so. Saying it, is not outside it; it's part of what you see as identification, it's a coping mechanism. Here's why it isn't so; it's also why I asked you whether you perceived yourself to meditate.

You see, I don't meditate. I sit still from time to time. In the same way, you aren't identifying; you're programming. But, as I said above: saying it, or knowing it, isn't outside it. You said:
    So when the Buddha obtained and ate food, the five skandhas were operating in support of that. Of course, he presumably did not identify with the five skandhas at any moment of their operation, and therefore could be said to be tathagatha and free of suffering. But the operation of the skandhas is suffering in and of itself.
    Forgive me for copy pasting, but I wrote in another thread:
    Ok, the problem here is that no one has a clue what 'this' is. We may think that we can work it out if we think really hard. But we can't: trying to do so is like a whirlpool trying to grasp the ocean: it can't get purchase, it has nothing to hold on to.

Buddha taught dependent origination because seeing how DO works becomes part of the whirlpool of ennui running out of energy, or karma. That's why whenever he was asked ontological questions, he brought our attention back to dependent origination instead of answering the question.
    There are no empty skandhas that continue. I know that on one level you disagree with me, but as I said, you are not even wrong. It's that level that is suffering.

When I said no one, including me, has a clue what 'this' is, that's provisional. You are not a stranger in a strange dream. You won't float away if you don't tie yourself to the mountain.
    Regarding nibbana and death, I am curious about your view of the Godhika sutta. In it, Godhika repeatedly fails to obtain release through practice and decides to kill himself. The Buddha says he obtained release as a result of that.
    As far as I can tell, his release of mind was release in concentration, which is still a supported state. I could speculate based on Tibetan teachings about what happened to him next, but I won't.

My view is that death is not necessary for parinibbana. To be frank, I think not dying is what people are most afraid of; for in that sleep of death what dreams may come?

...thus the native hue of resolution
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great pith and moment
    With this regard their currents turn awry,
    And lose the name of action.

It is possible to temporarily regress from unbinding with fuel remaining, as I have regressed from this stage through drinking alcohol, but the evidence of my experience, and of the scriptures, is that it is not possible to regress to the state of a worldling. The fuel of my craving for alcohol is spent now. It didn't buy me much good :o .
    edited October 2012
    The practical, phenomenological question is whether there would be a sense of identity with the tremendous disturbance of asphyxiation.
    It's not about a sense of identity, whatever that may be. And 'whether' or 'would' are distractions.
    I think disidentification from the five skandhas in a given situation is contingent and subject to fluctuation, and that therefore cessation is not a terminal state, but arises and passes away like all other aspects of experience.
    You don't really think that. Put the raft down.
  • My view is that just as a fire can be started on a site where another fire has gone out
    How? No fuel, no friction, no origination, no fire.
    edited October 2012
    p.s. Apparently I have been using the term parinibbana incorrectly. According to this footnote, nibbana refers to the state, parinibbana the achieving of the state.
    4 A misconception (not found in Childers) has arisen about the distinction between nirvana and parinirvdna. The latter is supposed to be the nirvana
    reached at death, " complete nirvana." But there is not the slightest evidence
    for this distinction. It has already been explained from the grammatical
    point of view (I think by E, Kuhn). Pan- compounded with a verb converts the verb from the expression of a state to the expression of the achievement
    of an action : nirvana is the state of release ; parinirvdna is the attaining of
    that state.

The monk parinirvati '* attains Nirvana " at the tune of enlighten-
    ment as well as at death. The P.T.S. Dictionary defines parinibbdna as
    " complete Nirvana ", but immediately goes on to show that the same term
    is used of both kinds. Nirvana at death is when a Buddha or an arahat
    anupddisesdya nibbdnadhdtuyd parinibbdyati " attains nirvana with the
    nirvana-element which is without a substrate of rebirth " (Dlgha, ii, 136).
    The word nibbdna is used in this definition of " final Nirvana ".

The nirvana attained during life (at enlightenment) is defined in the same words except that saupddisesdya is used, " he attains nirvana with the nirvana-element
    which is with a substrate of rebirth." When Buddha's attainment of nirvana
    is referred to, especially in the later literature, the nirvana at death is generally
    meant, but if the distinction is expressed it is always by saupddisesa and
    anupddisesa (Skt. sopadhi$e?a and nirupadhitesa). See p. 131,
    http://archive.org/stream/historyofbuddhis031559mbp/historyofbuddhis031559mbp_djvu.txt (page 121)

The correct term is: anupadisesa-nibbana-dhatu. The nibbana element without fuel.
    edited October 2012
    One more thing. We're here because we don't want to die. Do we really think death is the solution?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2012
    The practical, phenomenological question is whether there would be a sense of identity with the tremendous disturbance of asphyxiation. If it would, then that claim is just words/intellect, and does not represent any meaningful shift from the conventional mode of experiencing the world. By this, I don't mean to imply that you are badly trained, just that I think disidentification from the five skandhas in a given situation is contingent and subject to fluctuation, and that therefore cessation is not a terminal state, but arises and passes away like all other aspects of experience.
    Even for someone who has attained "anuttara samyak sambodhi"? What if a person where to not feel any sense of identity whatsoever, even with the tremendous disturbance of asphyxiation? What if someone was able to remain completely and totally unperturbed 100%, by such a situation?
  • The question arises dependent on contact and feeling.
  • You can't avoid having some distress during asphyxiation. The distress is the nature in such a body as we have.

There really wouldn't be much time in such a situation as drowning but at some point when realizing death comes, then the person could let go into death despite having heaving and convulsing of sphincters or whatever nasty things happen to this stinking bacteria ridden bag of meat that we call 'me'.
  • There are no empty skandhas that continue. I know that on one level you disagree with me, but as I said, you are not even wrong. It's that level that is suffering.

I accept that taking a position on this is in itself suffering, a form of becoming. I crave peace, and I think this path leads there. What does it mean to say that there are no empty skandhas which continue, when you've experienced them taking off again after drinking alcohol? If it's not craving driving your smoking habit, what is it? I don't mean this judgementally: I am slothful and selfish and tend to overeat and spend way too much time trying to entertain myself with the internet, and I'm really asking because I'm looking for a better relationship to these aspects of my life. Ideally I would like to bring them to an end, but you seem to have found some other way to make peace with the corresponding aspects of your life.

What do you think of the ethics sections of the Brahmajala sutta? I know the Buddha describes the ethical behaviors of the tathagatha as trifling matters, and compared to Right View they are. But aren't unethical behaviors useful indications of what's actually running the show?

It is possible to temporarily regress from unbinding with fuel remaining, as I have regressed from this stage through drinking alcohol, but the evidence of my experience, and of the scriptures, is that it is not possible to regress to the state of a worldling. The fuel of my craving for alcohol is spent now. It didn't buy me much good :o .

This sounds like stream entry, to me, not full-blown enlightenment. This is the stage my practice is at (another thing I like about Dharma Overground, they talk about these things.) Beings still arise, but they aren't construed as glued together in a coherent identity. There is still lust, hatred and ignorance, though.

How? No fuel, no friction, no origination, no fire.

Different situations offer different fuel. The meditation cushion is particularly short on fuel. In everyday life, though, there is still plenty. (My everyday life, at least.)
    edited October 2012
    Hi fivebells:
    This sounds like stream entry, to me, not full-blown enlightenment. This is the stage my practice is at (another thing I like about Dharma Overground, they talk about these things.) Beings still arise, but they aren't construed as glued together in a coherent identity. There is still lust, hatred and ignorance, though.
    I may have been a non-returner. I'm a stream enterer now. Who can say? I think I was an Arahant because I knew that there was nothing further to do - but who am I, a non-returner or stream-enterer, or maybe just some guy who learned to relax a little, to say, haha.

But I do remember knowing, in a way that is not available to me now, that this was just the beginning, not the end. And that the reason Buddha didn't teach further, was because no teaching is required. You're out of the burning building, basically. Even as I drank, I knew that, and I knew I'd have to go through the stages again.

I have some inkling that Mahayana teachings make more sense later on.
    Different situations offer different fuel. The meditation cushion is particularly short on fuel. In everyday life, though, there is still plenty. (My everyday life, at least.)
    No, you see, that there isn't any fuel. That's what I meant by it not being the aggregates.
    I am slothful and selfish and tend to overeat and spend way too much time trying to entertain myself with the internet, and I'm really asking because I'm looking for a better relationship to these aspects of my life. Ideally I would like to bring them to an end, but you seem to have found some other way to make peace with the corresponding aspects of your life.
    Listen to the song again. Why are you digging in with those spurs (hint: you're not, that's just how you're interpreting things. The self-judgemental person I'm talking to doesn't exist).
    What does it mean to say that there are no empty skandhas which continue, when you've experienced them taking off again after drinking alcohol?
    I'm sorry to have to put it like this, but you'll see. I've read a lot of debates where one side is trying to explain this to people with a strict understanding of doctrine, and I've never seen an 'ah!' moment. You have to be in the right configuration to get it (which of course isn't exactly what I mean either).
  • @PrairieGhost; Any suggestions for practices which will cultivate the emptiness view in day to day life?
  • Just got to eat lunch, brb, sorry.
    edited October 2012
    Ok, it's a rough thing to have to tell anyone but no.

No secret practices, no cheat modes, no valium prescriptions. I tried 'em all. Trying was dukkha. Not trying was dukkha. Trying not to try was dukkha. Trying not to not try... well, you get what I mean.

If you can accept this, that's your practice. It may hurt now. It won't always hurt.

This too shall pass.
    The phrase appears in the works of Persian Sufi poets, such as Sanai and Attar of Nishapur.[1] Attar records the fable of a powerful king who asks assembled wise men to create a ring that will make him happy when he is sad, and vice versa. After deliberation the sages hand him a simple ring with the words "This too will pass" etched on it, which has the desired effect.[1]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass

When the writing on the ring doesn't grasp you, that's when you don't need me or anyone else to tell you it's done.
    edited October 2012
    The meditation cushion is particularly short on fuel. In everyday life, though, there is still plenty. (My everyday life, at least.)
    You don't get to keep your practise in your pocket to use when needed to improve your life. Your practise and your life are not two. All you're learning to do is to be cool about stuff.

Courage is as important as discernment.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2012

I'm sorry to have to put it like this, but you'll see. I've read a lot of debates where one side is trying to explain this to people with a strict understanding of doctrine, and I've never seen an 'ah!' moment. You have to be in the right configuration to get it (which of course isn't exactly what I mean either).

I hope the following questions are appropriate. I am just trying to get a sense for what you're trying to point out, relative to the ethical issues at the forefront of my own practice.

What's it like on a phenomenological level? Does the decision to take a smoke break arise from craving, though not your craving? Is there a sense of conflict between the decision to smoke and the risk of harm from doing so? How is it different from the conventional relationship to addiction?

Regarding strict understanding of doctrine, FWIW, my understanding is not strict at all. The suttas have no special authority, what really matters is results, and I am quite happy to go beyond the suttas when it makes sense. I learned from someone trained in the Karma Kagyu tradition, so I don't have a strong institutional connection to the Pali canon and I know the basic Mahayana doctrines, though they aren't helping me much at the moment. To show just how unorthodox I'm prepared to get, here's a rough transcript from a beginning meditation class I'm teaching, the theme being shifting one's relationship to habits. (I know, "Physician, heal thyself.")
    This was actually a conversation, but I edited people's responses out for privacy.

So I'd like to start with a very simple habit, the habit of where we put attention. This is a slight embellishment to basic meditation. Attention is sort of like a dog. It jumps around, picks things up, all mostly out of habit. And we're going to train it in the same way that you can train a dog.

Now, when you train a dog to sit, you don't expect it to sit for 10 minutes straight at the start of the training. You give it tasks which are within its capability, and reward it for completing those tasks. To start with, you might reward it for sitting for three seconds while you're standing next to it. Then you start gradually stretching those conditions: once it can reliably sit for three seconds, say 75% of the time, extend the time to four seconds... then when you've reached 10 minutes, go back to a briefer time, and start moving away from the dog until it's sitting while you're out of sight, then start practicing with it in environments with more enticing distractions, and so on. And we're going to train our attention in the same way.

For this, we need a reward. The reward I'm going to teach you about is joy. This is known as one of the four immeasurables in Buddhism, the others are loving-friendliness, compassion and equanimity. These are qualities of awakened mind, which are always present in every moment of experience. One of the things I like about Buddhism is that it suggests methods for training to connect with these qualities. I mean in Christianity, you have loving-friendliness: "Love your neighbor as yourself." OK, but how do I do that if my neighbor's an asshole? Buddhism actually has a method for training to do that.

So, let's practice joy. For this, first think of a scene which brings you joy. It could be a child running through a park, screaming with delight, or a foal taking his first step, a rocket taking off, anything which brings you joy. Now, everyone, get comfortable and close your eyes. Think of the joyful scene, and celebrate it. Notice all the physical and mental sensations involved in the celebration. Now, open your eyes and celebrate the cup. Enact the same physical and mental sensations you noticed in celebrating the joyful scene.

OK, so let's tie this into the breath meditation. So, we're going to start with what's called a one-breath meditation. All this requires is that you rest attention on the breath for one in-and-out cycle. So let's do that. Breathe in, breathe out. It's OK if thoughts and feelings arise when you do this, as long as you're still aware of breathing. Now, once you've done this, you've completed the task, so celebrate it!

If you find you can't do the celebration component in the rhythm of the breath, that's fine. We're really interleaving two meditations, here. One is basic meditation on the breath, the other is joy. Take whatever time you need for the celebration component.

If you find you can't celebrate the completion of the one-breath meditation, just celebrate something else, like the joyful scene you imagined in the joy meditation. The important thing here is that it is a reward for completing the one-breath meditation task, like positive reinforcement.

If other stuff comes up during the one-breath meditation, that's OK. We're not trying to focus on the breath, here. As long as there is some awareness of the breath for the duration, you're doing it the right way.

Do about 100 iterations a day. The more iterations you can do in one sitting, the better. It's fine if thoughts and feelings come up during the one-breath meditations, but if you end up in a completely different world, thinking about dinner, or whatever, and you have no awareness of the breath, when you notice that and come back to the task, *** CELEBRATE THAT YOU HAVE RETURNED TO THE PRESENT MOMENT, TOO. *** We're always getting enchanted like that by these other worlds of future plans and past events, and one of the goals of Buddhist practice is to bring an end to that. So entering such a world then coming back from it is as big an achievement as doing the one-breath meditations.

Once we're reasonably fluent, with one-breath meditations, we can start expanding. We can do two breath meditations, or expand the range of sensations we attend to, say from the feeling of the breath at the nostrils to tactile sensations in a larger range, and eventually up to all physical and mental sensations.
    edited October 2012
    Hi fivebells:
    What's it like on a phenomenological level? Does the decision to take a smoke break arise from craving, though not your craving? Is there a sense of conflict between the decision to smoke and the risk of harm from doing so? How is it different from the conventional relationship to addiction?
    There's still craving, but the loop has been broken, so feelings are what they are, and a self who craves isn't being imputed. I'm smoking less and less.
    I hope the following questions are appropriate. I am just trying to get a sense for what you're trying to point out, relative to the ethical issues at the forefront of my own practice.
    The response to this:
    What does it mean to say that there are no empty skandhas which continue
    Is to cite the Buddha's speech on dependent origination again.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

Consider me someone who has seen just enough of the results of accepting this response to know that this is satisfactory, providing it isn't clung to.
  • Buddha's speech on dependent origination again.

Do you mean a different sutta, or do you regard my questions as concerning metaphysical ontological questions?
    edited October 2012
    Hi fivebells:

This is a metaphysical question, isn't it?
    What does it mean to say that there are no empty skandhas which continue
    I had another go at resolving it:

The world is dependently originated, that is why we call the world empty.

Emptiness is dependently originated, that is why we call it the real world.

To answer these questions again, in more detail:
    Does the decision to take a smoke break arise from craving, though not your craving? Is there a sense of conflict between the decision to smoke and the risk of harm from doing so? How is it different from the conventional relationship to addiction?
    As I see that I want a cigarette, it's possible to let the sensations be what they are and not impute a self who wants to smoke, thus behaviour changes. There's no, or little conflict because of this; I know that I must neither struggle against a self nor rest to appease a self, because both are counterproductive and based on ignorance. Which is why I still smoke, but less, and I'm confident that I'll give up. Other cravings have already been transformed by seeing them as not self, but smoking is persistent.

But trying not to smoke is still craving.
  • The world is dependently originated, that is why we call the world empty.

Emptiness is dependently originated, that is why we call it the real world.
    Or better yet: form is emptiness, emptiness is form.
  • I handled drinking and smoking like micro-decisions. I never define myself as 'on a diet' 'quitting' or 'on the wagon'. It is just a micro-decision and I see self-evident that I *can* sit with the craving. And if I indulge I let go and enjoy the drug/food.

So I kind of let go of goals to the extent of having a mental construct 'I am quitting'. At the same time I have made many wishing prayers 'pranadhanas' to be happy and healthy and those wishes manifest either as sitting with craving or enjoying the indulgence.

Thus the 'non-smoker' mandala is not at the center and rather the awareness mandala is. In the awareness mandala we embody sitting with craving OR we embody letting go into the sense pleasure and enjoy it.

Rigdzin Shikpo said craving was like a hydra. Hercules cut of one head of the hydra and another regrows. He recommended being mindful of the contact and being with it. I mean by contact that you are full force whatever your micro-decision. Just an aside but anger is not a hydra, rather it has one head and if you recognize that you are angry you are able to cut it right there with awareness and I guess cool down.
    edited October 2012
    Hi again fivebells:
    the sense of competence and power from solving all the quick problems leads to craving and grasping, the difficult problems require so much bandwidth for abstract modeling that it is difficult to maintain present-moment awareness.
    I won't say I'm constantly in this state at the moment, more entering into it, but at the stage, whatever it was, that I was at before, there was no such thing as bandwidth, i.e. a limited space. So complex abstract thought and physical labour did not lead to identification in the way you're suggesting. Because identification isn't even an aspect of that state. Given the way you write, I'd imagine you'll come to this soon enough.