Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Consciousness producing matter?

2»

Comments

• Matter is form skhanada.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

Depends who is doing the watching.

Have you watched somebody die? I had the impresssion of something leaving.

• I think someone dying is an example of change. It doesn't prove that the mind and body are not together during life. Everyone knows the mind loses the body at death and no tradition of Buddhism is arguing that.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I think someone dying is an example of change. It doesn't prove that the mind and body are not together during life.

But it does prove that consciousness and body are distinct.

• Jeffrey said:

I think someone dying is an example of change. It doesn't prove that the mind and body are not together during life.

But it does prove that consciousness and body are distinct.

But isn't the material body (as we know/experience it) simply a subset (among multiple subsets we may not "kmow" at this time) of the overall greater consciousness? Not a distinction creating a duality of sorts, but just an impermanent artifact of our consciousness?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Well the body is only experienced by a mind. So the body is never separate from A mind in a sense, even if it is another being perceiving. Yet in death a particular mind apparently vanishes. I'm not sure if it really says much to say they are distinct. It would be like saying winter and summer are distinct. It doesn't really say much.

Also the body is always changing. And the mind is always changing. So we never have 'this' mind or 'this' body.
  • Earth, water, fire, wind elements - matter
    Space
    Consciousness
    We come to the insight that we’re not the physical elements, nor the space that contains them, nor again the consciousness that knows those things. So we may well ask, what exactly are we? This is a question that, in this meditation, we can consider experientially rather than through discursive thought. Rather than try to work out an answer in logical terms we simply ask the question, and sit, and listen patiently for the heart’s intuitive response.
    http://www.wildmind.org/six-elements/consciousness
  • Is sort of doubt on "before you were born, who were you. After you had born, who you are!". And did you aware that one is born out of merely consciousness of both parents and the consciousness of self that produced the matter called body! Amazing isn't it! Congratulation to all for being born into the world of matters and consciousness, and embarking the journey of paradize "cnsciousness".
  • For a quantum mechanical discussion of the emergence of matter and mind that accords with the Vedanta check out the two papers by Ulrich Mohrhof in Issue 1 of this journal. Brilliant.

http://anti-matters.org/0/main.htm
  • SileSile Veteran
    Wow - fantastic stuff, @Florian - thanks for this!
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Good isn't it? The best discussion of the physics of Buddhism that I've ever found.

I love that this view of quantum mechanics is called (thanks to Sri Aurobindo) the 'Pondicherry' interpretation. I am convinced it is the correct one and the only one that works.