Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions!

edited June 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, Mahayana man here.

I've put this post on for al new people to the site. I think myself as a buddhist amatuer teacher so test my knowledge by asking me questions on this thread.

May you find peace in the teachings of Lord Buddha

Mahayana man

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Did the Lord Buddha really have a retractable penis, like a horse?
  • edited June 2006
    (cough)

Do I really need to answer that?

may you find peace in the teachings of Lord Buddha

Mahayana man
  • edited June 2006
    Sorry, Mahayana Man. Just teasing! I have studied the Buddha's teachings for the past 18 years or so, and I have found peace and great wisdom in them.

But some of the "32 marks of the Buddha" are a little unusual, so I thought I would ask you about one of them.... ;)
  • edited June 2006
    Hi, Mahayana man here.

I've put this post on for al new people to the site. I think myself as a buddhist amatuer teacher so test my knowledge by asking me questions on this thread.

Mahayana man

Sure, what is it that cannot be taught?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Sure, what is it that cannot be taught?

What is that can?

Mahayana Man: would you be prepared to share what makes you believe that you have teachings and the ability to pass them on? Are you part of a sangha? a sitting group? Do tell us more, please.
  • edited June 2006
    Hi,

Well I....:-/ I am probaly less wise than you for you have taught me much.
    So I cannot answer only praise you.

Mahayana man
  • edited June 2006
    These are the physical marks of a Buddha:

1.Level feet
    2.thousand-spoke wheel-sign on feet
    3.long slender fingers
    4.pliant hands and feet
    5.toes and fingers finely webbed
    6.full-sized heels
    7.arched insteps
    8.thigh like a royal stag
    9.hands reaching below the knees
    10.retractable male organ
    11.height and stretch of arms equal
    12.every hair-root dark coloured
    13.body hair graceful and curly
    14.golden-hued body
    15.a ten-foot halo around him
    16.soft smooth skin
    17.two soles, two palms, two shoulders
    and crown well rounded
    18.below the armpits well-filled
    19.lion-shaped body
    20.erect
    21.full shoulders
    22.forty teeth
    23.teeth white even and close
    24.the four canine teeth pure white
    25.lion-jawed
    26.salvia improving the taste of all food
    27.tongue long and broad
    28.voice deep and resonant
    29.eye deep blue
    30.eye lashes like a royal bull
    31.a white urna or curl between the
    eyebrows emitting light
    32.an usnisa or fleshy protuberance
    on the crown.

Mahayanaman, can you tell me about any of these marks? Are they literal? What is their meaning? Have you ever seen anyone who looked like this, outside of a B-grade horror flick?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Balder wrote:
    Have you ever seen anyone who looked like this, outside of a B-grade horror flick?[/b]

On or off drugs?
  • edited June 2006
    LOL!
  • edited June 2006
    Palzang wrote:

On or off drugs?
    I'd be interested in hearing about either. Sounds freaky... :rocker:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited June 2006
    It's funny that as I read many of the things on this site that I am able to see what might meant to be metaphorical. "Ten foot halo around him" is one. The first time I read that he could emit light from his head, I had to stop for a moment as a former Bible Beater and realize that it didn't need to be literal to have meaning.

Also, as a beginner, what qualifications do you have Mahayana Man? I just got burned by someone who I thought was a teacher, so I'm a little skeptical. Let us know.
  • edited June 2006
    Hi,

Ha ha ! Well....I have not seen any one like this for there are no Buddhas in this world today. Only destined enlightened ones.
    The feet and thighs are to help meditation but the others. Who knows about the other ones?

Mahayana man
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hi,

Ha ha ! Well....I have not seen any one like this for there are no Buddhas in this world today. Only destined enlightened ones........................

You'd be surprised!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    The feet and thighs are to help meditation but the others. Who knows about the other ones?

I would have hoped that, as a 'teacher' you might be able to shed some light on the subject...... ho hum......
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I agree, Simon. I have had the immense good fortune to meet more than a few Living Buddhas in this life, so to say there are no buddhas in the world today is, to say the least, uninformed. As for the attributes of a Buddha that are listed, they are there indeed, if you have the eyes to see them!

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    <snip> I just got burned by someone who I thought was a teacher, so I'm a little skeptical. Let us know.

What!?!?!

Did you say that right, Jer? Or am I just reading it wrong?

How could "YOU" get burned by someone else who "THOUGHT" you were a teacher?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Who he (Jerbear) thought was a teacher. Gosh, no more late nights for you, young man!

Palzang
  • edited June 2006
    Balder wrote:
    These are the physical marks of a Buddha:

Mahayanaman, can you tell me about any of these marks? Are they literal? What is their meaning? Have you ever seen anyone who looked like this, outside of a B-grade horror flick?

Good thing I passed on being a Buddha! :D
    edited June 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Who he (Jerbear) thought was a teacher. Gosh, no more late nights for you, young man!

Palzang

I've been becoming exceedingly lysdexic over the last couple of weeks.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    dyslexia.jpg
  • edited June 2006
    LOL! I've seen a study done by Oxford that has found as lnog as a wrod has the frist and lsat ltetres in palce the biran can sltil raed it.
    edited June 2006
    Ha ha ha ha ha

kay-O, that's enough that of.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Maybe if you took the melon off yer head....

Palzang
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    ... I think myself as a buddhist amatuer teacher so test my knowledge by asking me questions on this thread...

::
  • edited June 2006
    Oh no...not the whole "Self" discussion again. I'm outta here!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Oh no...not the whole "Self" discussion again. I'm outta here!

LOL

Yomama, that was very zen...

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Genryu,
    Thanks for the smile. I needed it.
  • edited June 2006
    I looked the 32 marks up one time. It seems that they are intended as symbollic, and the Buddha explains the inner meaning of each in the Lakkhana sutta (#3o) of the Digha Nikaya. I believe there are also some tibetan sources on the topic. They don't have it at access or metta.lk in english, but I found it here: http://www.buddhistinformation.com/ida_b_wells_memorial_sutra_library/lakkhana_sutta.htm
    Regarding his male reproductive organs, the meaning is explained as follows:
    "Monks, in whatever former life...The Tathágata reunited those long lost with relatives, friends, and companions who had missed them, reunited mother with child and child with mother, father with child and child with father, brother with brother, brother with sister and sister with brother, making them one again with great rejoicing...on returning to Earth he acquired this mark of the great man: his male organs are enclosed in a sheath.

"Being endowed with this mark...as a ruler he will have numerous sons, more than a thousand sons, powerfully built heroes, crushers of the enemy host. As a Buddha, likewise." This was what the lord declared.

in friendliness,
    V.
  • edited June 2006
    Originally Posted by mahayana man
    ... I think myself as a buddhist amatuer teacher so test my knowledge by asking me questions on this thread...

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? lol
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? lol
    African or European?

King Arthur
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    It must also surely depend what it's unladen with...
  • edited June 2006
    /:?