Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When meditating.

" When meditating we should not rest in the idea that calmness is to be held on to or cultivated, and action is to be avoided.
In Dzogchen calmness and movement are held at the same time "

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    take it naturally, exactly as it comes... :)
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Awesome quote, thanks Citta.
    I was struggling with hyperactivity last year, (as a consequence of some medicine I was taking) and then I discovered Dzogchen. Amazing, amazing! Just that change in perspective did so much for my practise.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Me too James...in my case I had practiced several forms of meditation...and always over tightened the lute string to use the Buddha's analogy.
    Dzogchen was for me a spiritual life saver.
    Jeffrey
  • mindful awareness, insight into the marks of existence,
    can be joyfully practiced during any activity.
    even formal meditation. seeing the truth of dukkha
    ,for example, should not be performed as a technique of brain
    washing through mindless repetition. rather one should observe
    carefully and see that objects of consciousness, the skandas,
    are not merely unsatisfactory, for a variety of reasons. but that
    any attribution of a characteristic is more properly the result
    of spinning theories and weaving delusion through rational
    thought. resting on the ignorant/delusional foundation of
    dualistic thinking. it is very amusing.

form, sensation, perception, thought and feeling
    possess the charateristics of anicca/dukkha/annata.
    and quite a few other characteristics. including silly,
    tragic, beautiful, astounding, miraculous.

all just stuff going by.
    joy!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    In Dzogchen calmness and movement are held at the same time "

Zen allows stillness & activity, like all phenomina, their own cycling birth, life and death.
    Kissing cousins, I believe!
  • Have you ever seen flowing water?...have you ever seen still water?...If your mind is peaceful it will be just like still, flowing water. Have you ever seen still, flowing water? There! You've only ever seen flowing water and still water, haven't you? But you've never seen still, flowing water. Right there, right where your thinking cannot take you, even though it's peaceful you can develop wisdom. Your mind will be like flowing water, and yet it's still. It's almost as if it were still, and yet it's flowing. So I call it "still, flowing water." Wisdom can arise here.

Ajahn Chah

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/livdhamma/livdham08.htm
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    pegembara said:

Have you ever seen flowing water?...have you ever seen still water?...If your mind is peaceful it will be just like still, flowing water. Have you ever seen still, flowing water? There! You've only ever seen flowing water and still water, haven't you? But you've never seen still, flowing water. Right there, right where your thinking cannot take you, even though it's peaceful you can develop wisdom. Your mind will be like flowing water, and yet it's still. It's almost as if it were still, and yet it's flowing. So I call it "still, flowing water." Wisdom can arise here.

Ajahn Chah

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/livdhamma/livdham08.htm

This doesn't quite work for me, my analogy would be more like an island in a river with the water flowing round it, like a point of stillness...or something...

:o