Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Norman, OK

edited July 2006 in Sanghas
does anyone know if there's any sanghas or buddhist centers in Norman?

and another question:

how can i get into a meditation routine again!
i hardly meditate anymore and i know its my own fault, but does anyone have any helpful hints?

thanks you guys.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Craig wrote:

and another question:

i hardly meditate anymore and i know its my own fault, but does anyone have any helpful hints?

thanks you guys.

Re your second question, Craig:

I would start by describing to myself what I put in the way of/in the place of meditation time. Where do I direct my attention?

Sometimes I draw or paint (I am a klutz at both so this is private!) the 'obstacles'.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    Here it comes again.....

" 'Do' or 'Do Not' there is no 'Try....."

If you really want to meditate, you will. If not, don't punish yourself.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Fede has a point, of course, but we cannot all be as serious and disciplined as she is! Some of us have to start off by setting up external structures to help us. For many people, deadlines are the only way in which anything gets done.

As a gardener, I like to remember that some plants need a stake or frame in order to grow and flower (my peonies, for example), others can look after themselves. And every sapling that I plant needs a stake to help it grow straight, until it is rooted and strong. There is no shame in needing a timetable: look at our monastic brothers and sisters - their lives are regulated by timetable in many houses. As we were taught: "The voice of the bell is the voice of God" - it kept the disorder of daily life in some sort of shape.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    i think awareness of breath and body is the best 'launching point' for getting back into the zone.

::
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I haven't seen any listed for Norman, but there are quite a few in Oklahoma City. Just go to http://www.buddhanet.net.

Palzang
  • edited July 2006
    yeah i've already been to the Buddhanet directory, but thank you very much for offering.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    In light of the dearth of Buddhist groups in Norman, have you ever considered starting one up yourself? There is, I know, a Buddhist discussion group at OU, so there must be some interest in Buddhism amongst the students at OU, and there may be others in town who might be interested as well. Our temple has an entire study course developed for study groups who wish to start up in places distant from our temples, and I'm sure there are other Buddhist groups who have the same. If you'd like more info, just PM me. I can put you in contact with our Spiritual Programs people.

Palzang
  • edited July 2006
    Craig wrote:

and another question:

thanks you guys.

1st question: http://www.buddhanet.net/americas/usa_ok.htm

2nd question: turn off the tv, shut the books, turn off the radio and sit down.

It takes 30 to 45 days to establish any new habit.
    Seek out the patterns of your habit energy now, that would be a place to start.
  • edited July 2006
    Palzang that's a wonderful idea! i didn't think of that but i am now lol

Iawa. those are timeless words of advice and i guess i do just have to get back into the habit of meditation
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I did a "bad" and didn't meditate for a few weeks. Frustration, anger, pain, loss, you name it. Things that I do better with when I meditate. But listening to angry music is all I could do. Then I thought "The pillows look like they are waiting for you to come back when you're ready". It was quite a wonderful idea that there is nothing that says I have to do it. I started back slow. Just 20 minutes at a time. Sometimes 2 times a day, some one. It's getting back to it that's hard. So, JUST DO IT! as Nike would say. Once the first or second time is done, then it's a whole lot easier to do another one.

Also the habit thing is spot on.
  • edited July 2006
    :winkc:

May you find peace where you are.