Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhism

edited July 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I am interested in learning more (or should I say...interested in beginning to learn) about Tibetan Buddhism. I know I can just do a search on the internet, but could some of you experienced ones point me in the right direction, or tell me where to start?

Thank you.

Kim

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    HHDL has written just the book you need, YM:

The World of Tibetan Buddhism

If, however, you would like to learn more about the 'magicians and mystics' observed during the time of this Dalai Lama's predecessor, the Great Thirteenth, less than a century ago: a strange, mediaeval world:

"Magic and Mystery in Tibet " by Alexandra David-Neel
  • edited June 2006
    Thank you, Simon. I can't wait to read it.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    "Magic and Mystery in Tibet"

That's the kind of stuff I have a hard time believing...

NOT SAYING IT'S NOT TRUE, PALZANG BECAUSE I KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO GET ALL UP IN MY BUSINESS FOR SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

I'm just saying I have a hard time with it. I think mysticism is also used to create a dominant/submissive culture.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    I think you can be a Buddhist and not be a mystic.
    I think you can be a mystic and not be a Buddhist.
    I think you can be a mystic and a Buddhist (and a lot of other labels as well).

Didn't Buddha say something like he couldn't give his realization to others?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Just another of my shortcomings, Harlan. :)

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    You are correct of course, but what has NOT been used to create suffering? :(

Yogamoma: some readings that I found useful...

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks, harlan!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    "Magic and Mystery in Tibet"

That's the kind of stuff I have a hard time believing...

NOT SAYING IT'S NOT TRUE, PALZANG BECAUSE I KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO GET ALL UP IN MY BUSINESS FOR SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

I'm just saying I have a hard time with it. I think mysticism is also used to create a dominant/submissive culture.

-bf

Well, you have to remember that Mme. David-Neel knew nothing about Tibetan Buddhism before her famous sojourn to Tibet, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. Wonderful book, but I wouldn't take everything she says as "gospel". It's also interesting that in Ancient Egypt, the word for "magic" and the word for "religion" were the same. So I guess it all depends on your point of view.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    YM, you might want to check out our website, www.tara.org. That should give you some idea of Tibetan Buddhism. There are teachings available there. There are also other good sites on the internet.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Palzang wrote:

Well, you have to remember that Mme. David-Neel knew nothing about Tibetan Buddhism before her famous sojourn to Tibet, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. Wonderful book, but I wouldn't take everything she says as "gospel". It's also interesting that in Ancient Egypt, the word for "magic" and the word for "religion" were the same. So I guess it all depends on your point of view.

Palzang

In addition, Mme D.-N. visited Tibet before, during and after WW1, when Bon shamanism and feudal mediaevalism were still the context of Tibetan society.

As Mme D.-N. comments, over and over, the Buddhism that she encountered in Tibet appeared far removed from the Mahayana Buddhism that she had studied in India and Nepal, although, among the senior lamas, she found a metaphorical approach, more similar to that which we tend to take.

One of the things that I have found most interesting about her books is that they describe a peasant culture which has almost entirely disappeared. I cannot say that I am really sorry to see it go, although I could wish that it had happened in a more organic way. HHDL has now ditched the old autocracy, replacing it with a democratic system.

We should not sentimentalise pre-invasion Tibet, particularly if we believe that such things as human rights, universal suffrage and equality of opportunity to be important.
  • edited July 2006
    Very well said!
  • edited July 2006
    Thanks for all the information everyone....Simon, I went to the library for that book yesterday and it was checked out, so I got a different book of HHDL's. I hope to get the one you recommended soon!