Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A sort of 'retreat' - in the UK

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited July 2006 in General Banter
It has been in my mind for some time to organise one or more reteats among these Cotswold hills.

These could take place either as weekend or mid-week, residential for 2 to 5 days at a local convent or monastery, or day-long.

Cost would be the cost of the stay divided among the participants.

Although I would propose a programme, it would be flexible, based on the following elements:
* space for silence and reflection with one or more subjects offered;
* time for group or one-to-one consideration of current concerns;
* using creative writing from nature;
* physical work or walks.

Any UK residents interested?

I would also like to offer a monthly study and reflection day here: any takers?

Comments

• edited June 2006
    It has been in my mind for some time to organise one or more reteats among these Cotswold hills.

These could take place either as weekend or mid-week, residential for 2 to 5 days at a local convent or monastery, or day-long.

Cost would be the cost of the stay divided among the participants.

Although I would propose a programme, it would be flexible, based on the following elements:
    * space for silence and reflection with one or more subjects offered;
    * time for group or one-to-one consideration of current concerns;
    * using creative writing from nature;
    * physical work or walks.

Any UK residents interested?

I would also like to offer a monthly study and reflection day here: any takers?

As soon as I'm back in the UK, Simon, please count me in! (Could be a while though...)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    I would absolutely leap at the chance, but you know that whilst my situation is still very much in the air (and I really don't know yet whether I'm coming, going, been, gone or went!) It would be a while before I could either commit to, or even come up with a convenient time/date or whatever.
    naturally, these things take a while to organise.....

In principle, just as BSF said - count me in - !!
  • edited June 2006
    Simon

I have very few weekends that are free, but if your retreats happened to co-incide with a time I can make, and if you'd have me, I'd love to come, and I think it's a brilliant idea. Although I've been "of Norwich" for longer than I can remember now, I was born in Cheltenham and I know the area around Prinknash (is that where you are? You mention it from time to time) well. Lovely.

Martin
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Simon

I have very few weekends that are free, but if your retreats happened to co-incide with a time I can make, and if you'd have me, I'd love to come, and I think it's a brilliant idea. Although I've been "of Norwich" for longer than I can remember now, I was born in Cheltenham and I know the area around Prinknash (is that where you are? You mention it from time to time) well. Lovely.

Martin

You would be welcome, Martin.

I am a few miles from Prinknash. The Grange (the old monastery) is one of the venues that I have in mind, along with Nympsfield and, possibly, Emmaus House in Bristol. The latter is a bit more expensive, I think, but the beds are comfortable and the food is SUPERB!

The idea of a monthly day attracts me as an idea. The second Saturday, perhaps.

Numbers limited, of course.

This is the first place that I have made the suggestion. I have been thinking about it for some time but haven't felt moved to "put it out there" to see if there is any interest. I shall have to dig out my "Spiritual Safari" leaflet, which I sketched out some years ago!

If anyone is interested, PM or email me and I shall keep you posted - if anything materialises.
  • edited June 2006
    I wish I could join you! That's it...I am moving to the UK.
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I wish I could join you! That's it...I am moving to the UK.

We would welcome you with great joy, YM!
  • edited June 2006
    You might want to wait to actually meet me before saying that! :) Maybe I should come for a visit first, and then you can decide if you want me to stay.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Better check out their food first, YM. Just a word to the wise... :zombie:

Palzang
    edited July 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Better check out their food first, YM. Just a word to the wise... :zombie:

Palzang

Very true, Palzang-la. We eat organic, GM free so it might not agree with a USian, altho' I seem to recall that YM is eco-aware.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Actually I was thinking more of steak and kidney pie, pasties, and other British inedibles (spam spam spam spam spam spam spam eggs and spam)... :winkc:

Palzang the epicurean
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I love that food, Palzang. lol! I really do. But I love the eco-food, too. And yes, Yogamama is an expert in wholesome foods. It was she that advised me about soy. By the way, Yoga, I've largely switched to rice milk which I like much better on my cereal and it agrees with me very well.

Oh, this retreat has me longing like never before!! I so want to be there, Simon. (This is me wailing!) Oh, why can't I be in Britain??? It's not fair! How totally awesome and wonderful it would be to meet you all. But it couldn't possibly be a silent retreat. lol! Oh, my heart is just killing me with longing! It's all up in the back of my throat. lol! And I'm not being sarcastic, if anyone's wondering. I love Britain more than any other place in the world. I'd so love to sit around talking with you, Simon, and Fede and Martin. I can just picture it in my head. Maybe someday...
  • edited July 2006

Very true, Palzang-la. We eat organic, GM free so it might not agree with a USian, altho' I seem to recall that YM is eco-aware.

That food sounds perfect to me, Simon.

But steak and kidney pies???!!! No thanks!!! Blech.
  • edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I love that food, Palzang. lol! I really do. But I love the eco-food, too. And yes, Yogamama is an expert in wholesome foods. It was she that advised me about soy. By the way, Yoga, I've largely switched to rice milk which I like much better on my cereal and it agrees with me very well.

Oh good, Brigid. I am glad you like rice milk. Have you tried almond milk? It is so yummy. And I make my own almond milk. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I haven't tried that yet, Yogamama, but I doubt I'll be able to find it at our grocery store in town. If it's not too hard to make could you possibly PM me with the recipe? If you have time. And no rush, of course. It sounds delicious and would probably have more nutrients than the rice milk which doesn't really have much of anything. I like it so much though, and it has a nice thin consistency like skimmed milk, not that thick, fatty, oily sort of consistency that soy milk has. Btw, that soy education you gave me was so fantastic.

Sorry all. I'm way off topic. I'll go away now. Promise! lol!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2006
    So how many people are signed up for this retreat?

-bf
    edited July 2006
    To date, I have five people who have expressed interest. The idea is to aim at a weekend in September. A local school has suggested that some of their Year 12 or 13s might appreciate a 'back to the prison hulks' mini-retreat.