Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Koan "MU"

edited July 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I think I may understand the meaning behind the koan, but since i read somewhere that it's the first barrier for zen students I dont want to tell or embarrasse myself if i get it wrong.

anyone who would like to talk about it through a PM?
Genryu...I'm kind of looking in your direction...

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Craig wrote:
    I think I may understand the meaning behind the koan, but since i read somewhere that it's the first barrier for zen students I dont want to tell or embarrasse myself if i get it wrong.

anyone who would like to talk about it through a PM?
    Genryu...I'm kind of looking in your direction...

Craig,

I am sure that you will get some useful answers - I am only a slow, poor student.

What I notice, however, is that you imagine you might "get it wrong", which suggests that you imagine there is a "right answer".

Is there a right answer 'to' a koan? or only a series of reactions which move us along the way of realisation?
  • edited July 2006
    i realize there is no right or wrong answer and only a series of reactions towards realization.
    every student will come up with a series of answers, i'm just used to having "right and wrong"
    sometimes and slip them into conversations. woops!
    and why do you say you are a slow, poor student, Simon?
    whether slow or fast, of brightest thought or dim as a 10 watt lightbulb, you're a student none-the-less!