Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Belated Birthday, HHDL!

edited July 2006 in General Banter
I believe his 71st birthday was yesterday. Does anyone know for sure?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yes indeed, Tenzin Gyatso was yesterday's celebrity birthday boy. Apparently, he is not well and has had to cancel his European tour.
  • edited July 2006
    I thought you would know! :) I did not know he was not feeling well...do you know what's wrong? I hope it's nothing serious.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited July 2006
    My local paper says that his Office has said that it's just some minor issues and not any cause for worry. Mental problems?

Could it be the new railway the Chinese have built? It's a marvellous project though...
    edited July 2006
    I can't find any announcement from the Bungalow or the Government about HHDL's health but I have emailed friends in Dharamshala.

While I was googling, I found this wonderful story:
    HHDL is a Canadian
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    A Tibetan friend of mine on MySpace posted that story before I'd even had a chance to read it in the paper. This is one of the very few times I feel pride in my nation. Not that I'm ashamed of Canada but I'm not exactly a patriotic sort of person.

I sent birthday wishes to His Holiness on his MySpace page and in honour of his day I post this beautiful picture of him:

thewonderfulholyimp7kd.jpg
  • edited July 2006
    Has anyone heard any more about HHDL's health?
  • edited July 2006
    I just started reading "How to Expand Love" by HHDL....... I have heard this from him before but was reminded when I started reading.....

I love this.....

This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart; is the temple. your philosophy is simple kindness.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I haven't heard anything about HHDl's health status but I'll check MySpace because "Free Tibet" posts bulletins pretty regularly. He's a Tibetan living in Sweden and he works tirelessly. You can click on him and make a friend request if you want, Deb. He's lovely.

You can never go wrong reading any of his books. No matter what's going on in your life he can help you to make it better.
  • edited July 2006
    That's what I thought too. I have 4 of his books sitting here that I haven't gotten to yet and I thought this was a good time for me to pick one up.

I'll check it out on myspace for a health update.....

Thanks Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Always a pleasure, Deb.
  • edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    A Tibetan friend of mine on MySpace posted that story before I'd even had a chance to read it in the paper. This is one of the very few times I feel pride in my nation. Not that I'm ashamed of Canada but I'm not exactly a patriotic sort of person.

I sent birthday wishes to His Holiness on his MySpace page and in honour of his day I post this beautiful picture of him:

thewonderfulholyimp7kd.jpg

Everytime I see a picture of him, I just smile so big. I love all of his expressions. I just look at his pictures, and I feel so much warmth! He is amazing. This is one of my many favorites:
  • edited July 2006
    And Brigid, are you saying that HHDL has his own My Space page? If so, how do I find it? I have never been on the "my space" website. I am always hearing people talk about it, but I have never checked it out.
  • edited July 2006
    Hey YogaMama,

My 20 year old son got me start on myspace. From what I understand from him and his friends it's the place to be. lol So of course I had to check it out....and get my own page.......My URL is (what else) inthedharma if you want to check my page out. I'm pretty new so I don't have a lot on my page plus I'm computer illiterate so I can't do anything with it without my sons help. Anyway........ That's where I met Brigid.......which brought me to this very cool board......So I think it's a very cool website. :) Very interesting groups to look at and join if you choose. I've met a few Buddhist's there that are nice.
    There is a page that is HHDL's. Don't know if his staff did it or if a lay person did it.... Haven't read his whole page yet. If you want to check it out just go to myspace.com
    If you decide to join the website and get your own page let Brigid and I know and we will put you on our friends list.

Make it a Great Day,

Deb
  • edited July 2006
    Great - thanks for the info! Yes, I hear all the "kids" talking about my space, so I guess it's the hip thing to do! :) So how do I find HHDL's page? I will check out the website and let you know if I become a member. Thanks again!

Kim
  • edited July 2006
    The easiest way is to go to Bigid's page.........he is in the list of friends on the right side of the page about half way down. He is the 1st one she has several you might want to look at. just click on the pic. I'm in the second row...2nd one I think.....a cat with his paw over his face with Deb under the pic.

Brigid's URL is.......... http://www.myspace.com/brigid_booboo
    edited July 2006
    Up to now, I have avoided the lure of the blog but Myspace looks fun so I have signed up! How do I find HHDL? BTW, I am, as ever, simonthepilgrim.
  • edited July 2006
    Go to Brigid's URL..........it's on my last post......from there you can find HHDL and if you want to be on my friends list too......you are more than welcome...... :)

My last post explains what to do, any other questions, just let me or Brigid know.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Oooohhh! FUN! Simon's on MySpace! Can't wait to find you, Simon. Hope you feel like putting up a profile, too, Yogamama. But no pressure. Thanks for the almond milk recipe. Can't wait try it!

HHDL's URL is:

http://www.myspace.com/jetsunjamphelngawanglo

He goes by his name Tenzin Gyatso.

Thich Nhat Hanh has a profile, too. His URL is:

http://www.myspace.com/thichnhathanh

My blog is all about Buddhism and stuff I've saved over the course of my studies. I didn't expect anyone to read it because it's strictly about Buddhism and nothing about me, really. I wanted to save info on the web in case my computer crashes so now I'm saving it all to my blog on MySpace. Slowly. lol!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Simon,

I can't find you. Are you on MySpace or on a blogging site like Blogger? I keep putting in simonthepilgrim and get no results. Is there a waiting period maybe?
  • edited July 2006
    Oh wonderful...thank you so much for those links. Can't wait to check it all out!
  • edited July 2006
    I have a question...and I hope this is not offensive or anything, but how do we know if that really is HHDL's own writings on My Space, or is someone else doing that?? Just curious.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I presume it's his staff who takes care of his profile. It's considered authentic by the other Buddhists on MySpace like Konchog Thubten, a Vajrayana practitioner, and Lama Norbu and other trustworthy people. But check it out for yourself to your own satisfaction, of course. That's what I did. I came to the conclusion that it was updated by his staff because of the tone of the postings in his blog, bulletins and messages in various groups and on people's profile pages. It could be him personally, but I doubt it. But maybe he looks at it every once in a while, who knows?

He also has a group on MySpace called "Be Happy". I'm a member, of course. lol!

There are also lots of beautiful photos of Tibetan people that I love to look at on his pages. Just knowing that he has a presence there is comforting and fun to think about.
  • edited July 2006
    I wish they'd all chosen something better than myspace. >_<
  • edited July 2006
    Do you not like myspace?
  • edited July 2006
    Eh... I haven't been there in a couple of years, but as far as I know, it's still poorly coded, poorly organized, not adhering to standards, not focusing on accessibility, *littered* with ads, streaming music on almost every page you go to (and I guess now there are streaming videos on half the pages as well), random people leaving annoying comments in strangers guestbooks or whatever that feature is called, seems too much like a dating service with the "height/weight/hair/eye/children/etc", (seems to want to attract users with a somewhat lacking maturity-level)... I don't know, it just leaves a bad taste.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    It's changed quite a bit, I think, since you were last there. It all depends on how you use it really. I have approval over any comments made to my profile page, my blog and my pictures and of course I choose who my friends are and I'm pretty picky. I'm having no problems with ads but some people do have streaming music and video but since my internet connection is slow I just don't go to those pages. I've met some really great people there, a lot of Buddhists and others who are interested in Buddhism. With over 80 million users there's bound to be some oddities but I've had no trouble staying clear of them whatsoever. I've been having lots of fun there. I like the Thich Nhat Hanh groups and HHDL's group, "Be Happy", and I met Deb there so it's been great for me. But if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.
  • edited July 2006
    It's good to hear that it's changed, maybe I'll check it out again sometime (not right now though, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the internet right now, lol).