Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Degenerate times?

2»

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Bunks said:

vinlyn said:

Apparently, Nirvana, you also forgot a lot about the 70s. The Vietnam War. Kent State shootings. Several race riots. Watergate. Cambodian genocide. Three Mile Island. Attica prison riots. Unrest in Northern Ireland. Israeli athletes killed at the Olympics. George Wallace assassination attempt. KKK riots in NYC. OPEC oil shortages. India gets the nuclear bomb. 2 attempts to assassinate President Ford. Racial segregation in South Africa. First outbreak of ebola. Jonestown Massacre. Greensboro Massacre.

Ah yes, those were the good old days!

You're just quoting from Billy Joel! ;)
    What song is it you think that is a quote from? Certainly not "We didn't start the fire".

Yes....that is the song I was referring to. It popped into my head when I read your post.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Bunks.. yes.. I want to know why there are more people here too.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    That's because both are just random lists
  • Dakini said:

Cinorjer said:

As Buddhism spread in India, over in South America entire populations were being marched up pyramid steps and sacrificed to appease the sun god.

Are you referring to this as degeneration? Degeneration is in the eyes of the beholder. The Mayan and Aztec empires are among humanity's greatest artistic, architectural and mathematical achievments. Chingis Khan may have wreaked mayhem in his quest to dominate the known world in his time, but he also created a highly cultured empire that covered about 1/5 of the world's landmass, and it was based on peaceful trade, sharing cultural and scientific innovations throughout the diverse lands he (and sons) ruled, abd multiculturalism and religious ecumenism.

Humankind has always had great achievements, and has always suffered from manifestations of ego, the root of degeneracy. There have always been visionaries, there have always been corrupt individuals and corrupt leaders. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The outward manifestations may change from age to age and culture to culture, but at the root, it's the same old, same old.

I just didn't manage to make my point. My bad. You actually made it for me and thanks. My point was supposed to be, "the world" is neither better off nor worse for the people who are born into it.