Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cardinal Faults and Other Questions

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
The Buddha mentioned once that the three poisons of the mind (Cardinal Faults) were greed, hatred, and delusion. Now I can clearly see that greed and hatred cause most of the suffering in our world, but what exactly did the Buddha imply by delusion? Did he mean accepting things blindly or perhaps following bad paths in life?

And also, craving is considered the root cause of dissatisfaction in our life. Now I understand this because craving means never being satisfied and never being happy with what you have. It also hinders us from living in the present moment.

But did Buddha differentiate between craving and wanting. Now I don't see a problem with wanting. For instance, I want to lose 15 more pounds this year. I have put my mind to this goal and am concentrating on it and I will succeed. I don't think wanting like this is so bad.

And I also want a better TV, so I am working as a dishwasher and in a few more weeks, I will have enough to pay for it.

Keep in mind I am not attached to these desires. I don't see desires as inherrantly bad, I just feel that becoming attached to certain desires is unwise. My happiness is not dependent upon achieving desires. I am happy enough without them, but in the long run, being at a healthier weight will be better for me and having a better TV will just be more fun to have.

Thanks ahead of time for answers.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2006
    KoB,

Delusion is basically not seeing your experience within the framework of the Four Noble Truths. As for craving, it does more than cause simply dissatisfaction. Craving conditions becoming, and with becoming comes birth, sickness, ageing, and death. Having goals is not really the problem. It is the types of goals that we set for ourselves, as well as what is driving those goals that is the real problem. Perhaps you could better answer your own question by considering this: While wanting a new television isn't inherently bad, does it lead to the end of suffering?

Jason
  • edited July 2006
    But I inevitably face sickness, age, and death regardless of my craving. If anything, these constant reminders of impending death serves as a catalyst for me. My life could end at anytime and letting the passing pleasures of life go by is a waste. It helps me better focus and live in the moment.

My wanting of a new TV will not end my suffering. Neither will going to school or doing my chores or watching TV. But I do things anyway even if they don't end my suffering. Some things are just plain fun.

Ever since my daily anxiety went away last year, I can hardly say that much of the day-in and day-out problems really cause me suffering anymore. Not to say that I don't have problems, it's just that what I once saw as problems are challenges that I enjoy taking on now.

Buddhism has helped me see life in a more positive light. Reading books by the Dalai Lama and challenging myself to discover things for myself has helped with anxiety and guilt. I feel truly happy with peace of mind and counscious living. I have no regrets about anything I have done and frequent meditation helps me sleep better. My wanting of things does not necessarily bring ultimate happiness but does not make me suffer either. It just makes life more entertaining. I am not attached to outcomes. I understand that if I do not get what I want, it will not hinder my happiness.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2006
    KoB,

I am very happy to hear that Buddhism has helped you so much already. Nevertheless, when you get deeper into the practice you will begin to see that Buddhism is about more than enjoying the passing pleasures of life. However, for now I think that you do not need to worry about such things because you seem to be doing fairly well with your practice as it is (although if you believe what the Buddha taught, birth, sickness, ageing, and death are not inevitable). I guess the only other thing I can say is that I hope you enjoy your new t.v.

:)

Jason
  • edited July 2006
    This is one teaching I've never been able to understand.

I can understand why delusion/ignorance/wrong perception is seen as primary (and I also see it, rather than greed or craving, as causing the vast amount of suffering (including causing craving), but whatever, no point in getting into that, and who knows, I may see things differently later on), but I still can't understand how greed/craving and hatred/anger can be seen as primary causes because it seems to me that they're not primary. Maybe I'm just weird, but if I'm angry (for example), that anger is practically always either an effect or a secondary cause, there are other causes behind the anger, but anger is still seen as primary and that doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe I'm just misinterpreting primary to mean root cause rather than main cause, and main cause is what is meant?
  • edited July 2006
    The root problem is delusion, from which all others spring. The primary delusion is that we are separate, substantial and fixed selves. All else flows from that.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    May I refer you to Thich Nhat Hanh's chapter on pratitya samutpada ("Interdependent co-arising") in The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching (chapter 27)?

First, he gives us a brief view of the different analyses of causation which arose in the different schools and traditions. The important point is here:
    Cause and effect inter-are. The idea of a first or only cause, something that does not itself need a cause, cannot be applied.

Earlier, in chapter 5, Thay also says
    Another common misunderstanding of the Buddha's teaching is that all of our suffering is caused by craving. In the Discourse on Turning the Wheel of Dharma, the Buddhadid say that craving is the cause of suffering, but he said this because craving is the first on the list of afflictions (kleshas). If we use our intelligence, we can see that craving can be a cause of pain, but other afflictions such as anger, ignorance, suspicion, arrogance, and wrong views can also cause pain and suffering. Ignorance, which gives rise to wrong perceptions, is responsible for much of our pain.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I would also have to say that delusion is the sickness (if you will) of not being able to see the truth. What if you had deluded yourself into thinking that hatred and greed were actually okay? What if you deluded yourself into thinking your "self" was the center of all things and the ultimate truth?

Delusion is the sickness of seeing something else instead of the truth.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Another way of stating the three "cardinal" faults is hatred, greed and ignorance. By ignorance is meant not understanding the law of karma and thus not applying it to one's life.

Palzang
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Delusion itself though, is a very relative word. Until what point of thinking does a depressed man stop and think himself as going into a baseless abyss, and how should he know when to stop thinking so that he does not delude himself thinking that problems will clear up?

Impermanence is a beautiful, profound but simple concept. However, to what extent does one use it, until he may finally realise its abuse, and do something for a change to make the state permanent (at least for a long time)? To what extent does a world-hated man be oblivious to the world's angry cries, while he thinks that they are just passing fads, and that until he may finally be sent to trial before the world, and finally realize his errs?