Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Analytical Meditation

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Right now, I am reading HHDL's book "Buddha Heart, Buddha Mind" and in just a small part of the book, he mentions "Analytical Meditation", but he doesn't go into it very much. Can anyone explain it to me? Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks - Kim

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited July 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Right now, I am reading HHDL's book "Buddha Heart, Buddha Mind" and in just a small part of the book, he mentions "Analytical Meditation", but he doesn't go into it very much. Can anyone explain it to me? Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks - Kim

I think it is basically just contemplation. I found a short link on the subject:
    What is Meditation?

Meditation is a method for acquainting our mind with virtue. The more familiar our mind is with virtue, the calmer and more peaceful it becomes. When our mind is peaceful we are free from worries and mental discomfort, and we experience true happiness.

If we train our mind to become peaceful we will be happy all the time, even in the most adverse conditions. But if our mind is not peaceful, even if we have the most pleasant external conditions we will not be happy. Therefore it is important to train our mind through meditation.

There are two types of meditation: analytical meditation and placement meditation. When we contemplate the mean- ing of a Dharma instruction that we have heard or read we are doing analytical meditation. By deeply contemplating the instruction, eventually we reach a conclusion or cause a specific virtuous state of mind to arise. This is the object of placement meditation. Having found our object through analytical meditation, we then concentrate on it single-pointedly for as long as possible to become deeply acquainted with it. This single-pointed concentration is placement meditation. Often, analytical meditation is called simply `contemplation', and placement meditation simply `meditation'. Placement meditation depends upon contemplation, and contemplation depends upon listening to or reading Dharma instructions.

Does this answer your question?

_/\_
    metta
  • edited July 2006
    Yes, it definitely answers my question. That is kind of what I thought it was, so that makes sense to me. Thank you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    Hmmmmm.. It's suddenly made respectable.....

When I was little, this was called 'daydreaming'..... at least, that's what I was doing when the nuns would accuse me of 'drifting off into my own little world'....:grr: :grin:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    This is where I started, 40 years ago this year:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The discursive meditations prescribed f(by St Ignatius in The Spiritual Exerciuses) are made according to the method of the three powers: memory, intellect and will. The memory is to recall the point chosen beforehand as the subject of the discursive meditation. The intellect is to reflect on the lessons one wants to draw from that point. The will is to make resolutions based on that point in order to put the lessons into practice. Thus, one is led to reformation of life.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] The word contemplation, as it is used in the Spiritual Exercises, has a meaning different from the traditional one. It consists of gazing upon a concrete object of the imagination.
    [/FONT]
  • edited July 2006
    Analytical Meditation is usually, as the name implies, systematic examination of a topic. For a traditional example, to cultivate dispassion with regard to the body, one may take an attractive body as object and examine its parts (guided, traditionally, by lists such as that found here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/khp/khp.1-9.than.html#khp-3 ) systematically in search of what is truly attractive about it, thus revealing to oneself through analysis that the object is wholly without attractiveness. The same would go with similar such topics as not-self, impermanence, etc.

Some time back I found a very useful analytical meditation manual you may also find useful. It's title is "Calm and Clear," a translation of a text by Lama Mipham: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091354602X/sr=8-1/qid=1153241638/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1140887-5111906?ie=UTF8
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Hmmm... Can it be on something outside the Dharma, like seeing deeply into some experience/event in your life and finally realising some Dharma truth still?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Hmmm... Can it be on something outside the Dharma, like seeing deeply into some experience/event in your life and finally realising some Dharma truth still?

For my part, Ajani, everything and anything can be matter for analytical meditation. Nothing is 'outside the Dharma' and the doorways to understanding appear in the strangest places.