Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

circumsition and health

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited March 2007 in Faith & Religion
i heard that circumsition is good for health and hygiene, is it true or just myth?thanks

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    It is myth.

Genital mutilation is an abuse of infants. An unnecessary procedure in most cases, undertaken for reasons of superstition.

No serious study has ever been carried out into the psychological effects of mutilating infant boys. I wonder why - no, I don't!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    There are no long-term proven advantages to circumcision, that cannot be disputed or argued. I'm with Simon on this one. It's barbaric.
    And don't get me started on Female circumcision....!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2006
    All of us went off on this subject on this thread:

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187&page=4&highlight=CIRCUMCISION

You might want to review some of it. There is some good information in the following pages.

-bf
    edited July 2006
  • edited July 2006
    It's both barbaric and unecessary.
    edited July 2006
    Yes,

But oddly enough... ask many women how they feel about it. Especially women in the US. Odd to find that they are so willing to have it done to their children - and are repulsed by their partners who are uncircumcised.

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    yes i agree... primitive. i wonder why people still think its better? probably the
    fathers that had it done still feel they should carry it on?

also there is more sexual pleasure with this tissue / skin left on..
    so they say.. makes sense to me.

and i had the choice to do my son.. i opted no.. but i have seen the proceedure
    i had to walk away.. its alil plastic mold that the baby lies on.. with velcro for the
    hands and the feet area... so once they are tied down..
    ya............ the screaming begins.

sorry im totally againest it.. unless it needed to be done for med. purposes.
  • edited July 2006
    not here in canada.. most choose no for their sons.
    and hey.. men that dont have it done or men that do have it done..
    it doenst matter to me.. please!
    edited July 2006
    That's because YOU are an awesome person, Colleen!

I actually mean that :)

I was one of those awful fathers that elected it for my son just because it is still the norm in the states (although changing) and I didn't want to have my son stick out in a bad way.

But... I was a slimeball - I couldn't even watch the procedure. I felt like a shit-heel when the screaming started.

There is still a portion of me that is disgusted with myself when I think about that.

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    in no way bf do i want to make you feel bad..
    and hey i did alot of things ( well a few lol ) that i regret with my kids to.

when my son was born.. it was 50/50.. at getin it done or not..
    now its rare..

your probably a great dad.. and ya no.. maybe he is thankful you did it.
    i often wonder if my son wishes..
    who no's..
    we are only human
    edited July 2006
    Colleen - you didn't say anything that made me feel bad.

I do a great job of that all on my own :)

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    I asked my son and husband what their feelings on it were. They are both glad that they were done as infants...due to hygienic reasons because of the kind of work they are in and my son said he was glad so that he didn't stand out in gym when he was younger. Just one more thing a kid can get teased about mom.

I have helped with over 100 of them when I worked in the hospital. For good or for bad. Was not a Buddhist at the time and to be honest I personally don't know how I feel about this issue now.
    edited July 2006
    It is an ineteresting fact that young Jewish men, within the Roman Empire, went to extraordinary and appalling lengths to recreate their foreskins so as not to stand out in the gym and be teased!

Of course, until the Modern Olympiad, no 'mutilated' athlete could take part in the Olympics, thus excluding the Jews.

And Saint Paul won his argument against circumcision at the Council of Jerusalem.

I have yet to discover where the contemporary fashion for indiscriminate butchery began.

• edited July 2006
    I don't know about other parts of the world but in the U.S. I don't think parents felt like they were indiscriminately butchering their infants sons. I believe that most of them felt like they were doing it for health reasons and their doctors were recommending it for those health reasons. Only in the last few years have we found that those health reasons did not really exist. Now I believe parents still do it basically for health reasons that they do not know no longer exist, cultural reason or religious beliefs.

I know my children were done at the advise of my pediatrician for the health reasons that have been stated before. At the time I was young and didn't question my physician I acted on his advice and trusting he knew more than I did about it as many parents have in the past and still do in the present. Only in the last few years have parents started to do their own research thanks mostly to the internet I'm sure.

Personally I feel it is even worse to give your children vaccinations. After learning that doctors are not always right and know what they are talking about and doing much research. The long term effects of vacinations can be far more damaging in my opinion than a circumcision any day.

But that issue is probably for a different thread........sorry
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Deb,

I was wondering maybe if you and Yogamama ever felt like it could you start a thread about vaccinations? I don't know much about the controversy or the issue in general but I think Yogamama's mentioned it before. Seems like something kind of important to know.
    edited July 2006
    ITD...

Vaccinations are a good point to.

In fact, I guess one could question just about everything that doctors prescribe - since none of them have mastered ANYTHING.

Last time I checked, they were all still "practicing".

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I asked my son and husband what their feelings on it were. They are both glad that they were done as infants...due to hygienic reasons because of the kind of work they are in and my son said he was glad so that he didn't stand out in gym when he was younger. Just one more thing a kid can get teased about mom.

I have helped with over 100 of them when I worked in the hospital. For good or for bad. Was not a Buddhist at the time and to be honest I personally don't know how I feel about this issue now.

Did you ask them just before they were going to go under the knife, while they were being strapped down?
    :hair:
  • edited July 2006
    When normal healthy infants can sleep thor being stapped down and continue to sleep thro a circumcision then I don't really feel there is a need to ask.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    oh dear.
  • edited July 2006
    even tho inthedharma's felt no need to ask.. as they were asleep.. and hey fair enough
    she got an answer anyway.. more than an answer.. she got confirmation that they were
    glad they had it done!
    so i think the jury is out..

its for some yes! and for others no!

case dismissed..lol
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Double Oh dear.
  • edited July 2006
    hey i would never want to be the one to put an end to things
    well not in this case anyway..lol

case is now open..lol
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Let's not forget about flexibility of mind and opinion. I kind of cringe when I think of a Jew reading this thread and being called a butcher of babies by a bunch of Buddhists. (Had to use that alliteration, too good to pass up.)
    edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Let's not forget about flexibility of mind and opinion. I kind of cringe when I think of a Jew reading this thread and being called a butcher of babies by a bunch of Buddhists. (Had to use that alliteration, too good to pass up.)

Yet you would have no problem criticising an Animist for female genital mutilation, would you, Brigid? Just because some of us are jewish by descent does not mean that we have to be in favour of barbarism.
  • edited July 2006
    Something being tradition doesn't make it any less cruel or any more right.

A lot of medical procedures, perhaps even most, would be considered horribly cruel if preformed on someone who had no need for it.

I don't know many who would admit to it or agree with it, but there is an attitude in our culture (perhaps in others as well) that children (and even more so, babies) are somehow less than human. We praise childhood and want kids to be allowed to stay kids longer, but we don't see or treat them as fully human.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yet you would have no problem criticising an Animist for female genital mutilation, would you, Brigid? Just because some of us are jewish by descent does not mean that we have to be in favour of barbarism.

But Simon, that's assuming male circumcision is on par with female genital mutilation. I don't think they're the same, do you?

And my point was missed, I think. I wasn't saying yea or nay to anything, I was just saying that calling an entire race of people barbarians is somewhat extreme. Especially for Buddhists. Don't we walk the Middle Way?
    edited July 2006
    You are so right, Aquula: children are now in the position that women have occupied for so long: angels or devils but nothing between. I tend to view them as human, which means that they are as fully endowed with all that implies, for good and ill. Have you come across the work of A. S. Neill? Summerhill has been my inspiration for a very long time.

Brigid: The Middle Way does not mean that we must put up with what is ethically wrong. The difference between male and female circumcision is only one of scale, when used for reasons of superstition. And what else is the practice in Judaism? How many times have we read criticisms here of the practices of certain Christian and other cults and sects which use mind-bending techniques to create followers? Having lived, all my life, with anti-semitism and the legacy of the camps, I am of the opinion that it is just as anti-semitic to treat Judaism as if it occupied a sacrosanct position, uncriticisable.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Again, you're reading things into my post that aren't there, Simon. Where did I say that Judaism occupies a sacrosanct position and is uncriticisable, for goodness sake? And I hope you're not really acusing me of anti-semitism, are you?
    edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Again, you're reading things into my post that aren't there, Simon. Where did I say that Judaism occupies a sacrosanct position and is uncriticisable, for goodness sake? And I hope you're not really acusing me of anti-semitism, are you?

Brigid, my dear, I would never accuse you of any sort of deliberate racism. As you say, we appear to be talking at cross purposes.

To clarify, I have not accused "an entire race of people (of being) barbarians". As a child of a rabbinical family, I am aware that Judaism and Jewry are not the same thing: lots of non-semitic Jews. The notion of a Jewish 'race' seems to me to be scientifically dubious at best, rascally at worst. What I object to is the continuation of a rite of mutilation in the name of ancient superstition.

The Universal Declaration on the Rights of the Child sates:
    Article 19
    1. States Parties shall take all appropriate legislative, administrative, social and educational measures to protect the child from all forms of physical or mental violence, injury or abuse, neglect or negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual abuse, while in the care of parent(s), legal guardian(s) or any other person who has the care of the child.
    An infant male who has his foreskin removed, unnecessarily and without anaesthetic, appears to me prima facie to be "physical...injury...or...maltreatment."

I believe that the Middle Way, as defined by the Noble Eighfold Path, demands that we be involved with the anawim, the poor and outcast. When comfortable, 'white' Westerners like William Wiberforce campaigned against slavery, they were opposed by 'religious' arguments. I was still hearing the same thing from South African friends during Apatheid: it's in the Bible, in the story of Noah - the children of Ham (i.e the people with darker skins) are inferior. I hear it from those who define the 'ghetto' by IQ tests - just another bit of quasi-scientific superstition.

Basically, I reject any theory which sets one group of humans as innately superior to others and gives to the 'superior' group the right to do what they like with the 'inferior'. This is what I learned from my involvement with the struggle for gay rights and for women's equity/equality.

I am not trying to have a fight with you or anyone else. I am appalled and disgusted that the international community continues to permit female genital mutilation. The fatwahs such as the following:
    "1981-JAN-29: The Great Sheikh of Al-Azhar (the most famous University of the Islamic World) stated that parents must follow the lessons of Mohammed and not listen to medical authorities because the latter often change their minds. Parents must do their duty and have their daughters circumcised."
    are, thank goodness, ignored by the more enlightened states in Islam such as Egypt (cf: http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm.htm).

Nobody can doubt that female genital mutilation is a far more invasive and cruel practice than male circumcision.
  • edited July 2006
    Colleen, Thank you

Xrayman,
    My apologies for misunderstanding your question.

Since it is not possible to ask a newborn if he wants to be circumcised it is up to the parents to make that decision. Just as it is not possible to ask an infant if he would like to be x-rayed with radiation.

It is true that parents are making the decision to circumcise their sons because they where told by there physician that it is a health benifit. Now we find out that it is an unnecessary procedure and the infant goes thro it for nothing.

When an ifant has an x-ray taken, many times they are strapped down to a board so that they won't move and if nothing is found on that x-ray then that infant was dosed with radiation for nothing.

Both procedures are done for the welfare of the child because of what the parents have been told by the physician. One causes short term discomfort......What does radiation do?
    You can say that it is such a small dose that it won't harm an infant. If that is the case then why does everyone run out of the room or put on a lead shield when xrays are taken? You can argue the point that those ppl work in the health care field so radiation would build up. But in the nursery where I worked. Even the parents of the child were asked to step out or a lead sheild was put on them. Why, they are not exposed to radiation everyday?

Lots of things are done everyday to ppl at the advice of a physician. Some good and some bad.

No manual comes with an infant when it is born. So parents just do the best job they can with the information they are given when making decisions for their childern. I do not regret the decision that I made for my sons because of the information I was given at the time.
    I don't feel parents should feel bad for doing what they thought was best for their child at the time since in most cases they were giving this info. by a physician. Someone they trusted to give them the correct information.

Circumcisions can be debated probably till the end of time. I personally would like to....

Agree to Disagree
  • edited July 2006
    well said inthedharma
  • edited July 2006
    Not being a parent i can only comment from a son's perspective.

Parents just try to do what's best for their kids.

My parents have made many mistakes raising me and my brothers. But no matter how bad these mistakes might have been i believe they always acted in our best interests - so i can't complain (too much).

Personally i'm glad not to have been circumcised and very glad not to have been baptised (thanks Dad). I can always cut my foreskin off if i want to, but growing a new one could prove problematic.

However, the female circumcision which seems prevelant in Africa at the moment is an other kettle of fish...
    edited July 2006
    Lots of interesting views going on with this subject!

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    I know this is a sensitive issue, and whenever the subject comes up people feel accused, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread making accusations against parents. I admit that I haven't read the replies looking for that kind of accusation, but I haven't seen any.

People have been talking about the issue, not condemning the parents. And this is an issue I can't ever agree to disagree with. It's cruel to perform a surgery like that when there is no need for it. (The comparison to x-raying infants isn't fair (though something that may well be questionable), because that's not something that's done unless there is a need for it (something is wrong and you need to find out what), at least not here or anywhere I've heard of.)

I've done some hurtful and cruel things to people and I regret them and try not to repeat the same mistakes. There have always been reasons for these actions, and it's good to be aware of the reasons, but the things I did were still cruel, and still wrong. I'm sure most everyone has had similar experiences.

Simon: I hadn't heard of him before, but found a page about the school and that was *very* inspiring. If we'd had schools like that here, and I'd known about them, I would most likely have finished teacher's ed (though maybe not, I'm far too much of an introvert to ever be an effective teacher of groups).
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Okay.
    I get the feeling that whenever this discussion arises, I really go to town-I will attempt to dull-down my responses so they are not so spiked.

Brigid, All's okay (you know what i'm talking about). I agree with quite a few of your opinions-as you well know.

Simon, Nice post there are many statements I agree with you on.

Inthedarma, reasonable reply to my somewhat nebulous post!

If we are talking about radiological procedures versus need then you have my full support about the issue of X-Rays and the dosage etc. However, If you wish to debate me on other modalities such as CT MRI Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine I'd be happy to accomodate. I have a fair understanding of the pro's and cons.

There was mention made of vaccination before. I'D LOVE to debate that one I warn you though, don't get me started.

May I just say (write) that male or female circumcision has been hotly debated about which is worse etc. I still and I think always refer back to the original dilemma-how does the child FEEL? having anything cut off them? neither is the better option as THE CHILD DOES NOT WANT IT DONE. Child, baby or adult without appropriate anaesthetic, sanitary conditions or, and this is the real clincher, NECESSITY!

I have said this before, however I'll repeat it, I have pierced nipples (shock horror), they were done without anaesthetic-IT WAS MY CHOICE. Yes It does hurt. hahaha

To take this a step further, all of us have appendices. They are often referred to as redundant, unecessary even UNCLEAN! SOMETIMES when we are older they become inflamed/infected. In order for this to not happen, and to allow for "cleanliness", I reckon we all need to get our babies off to the village witchdoctor/grandmother/surgeon and (without anaesthetic-because they're babies, they don't feel it anyway), and using a piece of broken glass or rusty knife, cut the appendix out and stitch the wound with thorns and use some dry sand as a drying/cleaning agent to fix the wound so it's nice and good.
    Yes I am being facetious. I hope you get the point i'm trying to make.

Aquula, The mere fact that you are Introverted would probably make you a great teacher.

regards,
    Xrayman
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Buddhafoot,

Don't feel bad. We all understand the issues.

love to you brother. Not all of us can honestly state feelings as succinct as you. More power to you and your children!

respect. And when is the next recording due out?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Oh and by the way, if we look at X-raying an infant versus exploratory surgery, I know which path I'd take for my children.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    This thread is really interesting, so many points so well expressed.

Simon,

I understand what you're saying. Very good points. Once again I find myself agreeing with you.

Deb,

Beautifully said.

Xray,

Yeah, man. Everything's cool, bro.

There's lots to think about here.
  • edited July 2006
    Xrayman,

If you would like to debate vaccinations start a new thread on the subject and I'll be there.......lol

I plan to be gone for a couple of days so I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on the subject when i return....... :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    done.
  • edited July 2006
    Xrayman: I'm horrible at establishing contact with groups larger than maybe three or four, that's something I really noticed when I was doing student teaching, I just can't do it and there wasn't any helpful trainings for it, all I was told was that I needed to be more open and I needed to be better at connecting with the students, and since I just don't know how to do either, it wouldn't have worked. Plus, I have a very passive approach to "creating" contact with people, and it works very well with babies and young children because it doesn't intimidate, but not so well with older people because I seem boring (which I probably am, haha).

Eh... the point of that was to say that I wouldn't be able to teach effectively since I can't establish or keep contact with larger groups well enough.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I am an introvert and terribly shy, however with each class I teach, it becomes easier and I gain confidence by getting out of the "comfort-zone" of "Introversion and shyness". perhaps you could do the same.
    edited July 2006
    I think that it is important that young people be taught by as many different personality types as possible. I suffered terribly at the hands of ebullient teachers - particularly P.E. teachers! Some of the most effective were more on the shy side. Not having shy parents, I learned from these adults that shyness was only another hurdle to overcome, like my eyesight or my 'word blindness'.

The best role models are those who have had to struggle to arrive where they are.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited July 2006
    there's a good news, now circumcision can be done with laser technology,first with a shot of local anaesthesia, pull the hood, then the dart vader's sword do the job,voila you have a new haircut,no blood no pain and no sarong(traditional indonesian/malayan kilt)either.the circumcision fee is rp 300.000,- (us$33 or 34).
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    mmm No pain? Why the anaesthetic?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    There's no pain because an anaesthetic is administered, right?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I think my question was (as usual-and to everybody's chagrin, Lateral), I meant, if it is painless-then why the admission of anaesthesia? anyway-forget it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, but angulimala didn't say it was a painless procedure. I still don't get your question...do you really want me to forget it? I could do that if you really want...do you want me to? Okay, I'll forget it...K? What were we saying?

By the way, Xray, I noticed you don't come around much anymore. If I keep pointlessly arguing with you will you stick around?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited July 2006
    yea. forget it.

No, argue all you wish. I'll survive.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited July 2006
    IMO, unless you are an observant Jew, I don't see any legitimate reason to circumsize. And then, you are going to have to have a Moheil to do it. I really don't think they should be performed in a hospital at all, for this reason. There is also a big move among insurance companies not to cover circumcision, as it is now largely regarded as elective/cosmetic surgery.

My main problem with circumcision is their potential to go wrong. While I am not sure as to the statistics, there are instances where too much is taken off, which causes some serious problems later in life such as painful erections, irregular curvature & impotence in extreme cases.

Additionally, caring for a circumsized penis requires removing & reappling bandages to an open wound for several weeks. When the blood dries the bandaging can stick & will potentially rip open the wound again when removed. Since babies don't use toilets, this raises the possibility of infection. Interestingly, the opposite used to be true as doctors would instruct parents of uncircumsized children to retract the foreskin. As the foreskin is literally attached to the head of the penis, doing so was very painful and raised the risk of infection even moreso than a circumcision does.

Anyway, thought I'd contribute.

_/\_
    metta