Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Rituals

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Basics
In reading Simon's post to Brigid about how he lit candles and incense, offered tobacco and flowers for her, it got me thinking....I would love to know more about some Buddhist Rituals like that. Are there such things, or is this just something Simon does? Does everyone do something different? I would love to have my own little "ritual" but I am not really sure what to do.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    I love Kwan Yin and she is a very big part of my life. I like to do the Kwan Yin water blessing ritual.

I also have a few others that I have just started doing.

I'm sure others could much more helpful on this than myself.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Well, Simon also comes up with his own, bizarre rituals.

I'm sure in the ritual you were talking about, he also involved Odysseus, Cu Chulain and Godzilla.

He's such an odd duck - but he's all ours :)

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Well, Simon also comes up with his own, bizarre rituals.

I'm sure in the ritual you were talking about, he also involved Odysseus, Cu Chulain and Godzilla.

He's such an odd duck - but he's all ours :)

-bf

Indeed, I do construct my own liturgies and rituals. I have been writing 'services' for more than half my life. I used to know the Rituale Romanum by heart!

These days, I use a much simpler approach, a sort of 'skeleton' of ritual. Which does not mean that I avoid great liturgies: I sometimes attend Choral Evensong at our cathedral and attended (to me incomprehensible) rites at the [SIZE=-1]Tsuglag Khang.

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Interesting that you mention Odysseus, BF, and synchronous: I am rereading Book XI and reflecting on what Jung calls the 'second journey' and Helen Luke writes so well about in "Old Age". So, perhaps, I do 'invoke' the shade of the wily old fox of Ithaca.

As for the Hound of Ulster, Ireland is a constant wound in my awareness.

Godzilla, in the original, fascinates me but i had never thought to invoke the spirit of such a terrifying and pathetic archetype.

An 'odd duck'? No, no, I am the only one in step.
    [/SIZE]
    edited July 2006

As for the Hound of Ulster, Ireland is a constant wound in my awareness.

Godzilla, in the original, fascinates me but i had never thought to invoke the spirit of such a terrifying and pathetic archetype.

An 'odd duck'? No, no, I am the only one in step.

Me likey the Hound of Ulster.

You mean, "ducks in a row?" - I'm right there behind you :)

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    BF,
    Is that where my Godzilla statue went? I sure miss it!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yoga Mama,

Here is an offering prayer that we use when making offerings as well as an explanation of the different offerings we place on our altars. If you wanted to make these offerings, you can use either just bowls of water to represent them or the actual substances.

THE STANZAS OF OFFERING WATER FROM THE
    PURE VISION, AN OCEAN OF BLESSINGS

HUNG YAN LAG GYED DAN DUDTSI DZING BU DI
    HUNG Offering a lake of nectar possessing the eight qualities of pure water

CHOM DAN KHOR DANG CHE LA BUL WAR GYI
    To all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas,

ZHE NE DAG DANG SEMCHEN THAMCHED KYI
    By acceptance of the offering, may I and all sentient beings

TSHOG DZOG DRIB TAG KHORWA TONG TRUG SHOG
    Accumulate merit and wisdom, purify obstacles and liberate all beings.

OM SARWA TATHAGATA SAPARIWARA ARGHAM PRATITSA PUDZA MEGHA SAMUDRA SAPARANA SAMAYA AH HUNG

One night in a dream a white dakini appeared to Dudjom Lingpa. She said that she was Sukha Siddhi and proceeded to recite the above offering stanzas for the sake of all sentient beings. She said that this wishing prayer included everything. This vision arose in the dream of Dudjom Lingpa after a prayer for water offering was requested of him by Lama Tsultrim Dorje. It was recorded by Dudjom Lingpa’s secretary, Phuntsog Tashi.

The stanzas and mantra are recited thoughout the water offering ceremony.

The water is poured into the bowls from left to right. If the offering is poured correctly, obscurations are dispelled and benefit is obtained. If the water is poured incorrectly, obscurations may increase. It should be poured carefully and steadily, with an even flow, not with irregular movement. The bowls should be in a straight line, close but not touching. The bowls should be filled but not to the point of overflowing.

Water is a modest offering, neither the cheapest nor the richest.

The bowls of water, from left to right, have the following representations:

1) Argham (Chod yon): pure stream water gathered from all the universe, offered to the Three Jewels. The purity of the water has eight qualities: crystal clarity, coolness, sweetness, lightness, softness, freedom from impurities, soothing to the stomach, and makes the throat clear and free.

2) Padyam (Shab sil): water for cleaning an object of refuge, as water offered for a Lama to clean himself.

3) Pushpe (Me tog): represents all the offering flowers in the universe, including medicine flowers, fruits and grains.

4) Dhupe (Dug po): represents burning all appropriate incense for the whole universe.

5) Aloke (Mar me): water representing an offering of all natural lights (sun, moon, stars) and all man-made lamps, to dispel all darkness of the mind.

6) Gendhe (Dri chab): water representing perfume, pleasant to smell and drink and put on the body.

7) Nevide (Shalse): water representing food offered to the Three Jewels.

The seven water bowls are traditionally set foremost on the shrine, with candles or lamps, two or more, just behind them.

The offering stanzas and mantra are said only when opening the shrine in the morning. When the shrine is closed in the evening, no prayer, mantra or anything special is said. The water bowls are simply emptied, wiped dry and overturned.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Oh, yes! This is what I find very, very useful and important to know. Thank you so much, Palzang, for sharing your expertise in this. It means a lot to me to get this information straight from a monk.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited July 2006
    [/SIZE][/I][SIZE=-1]Interesting that you mention Odysseus, BF, and synchronous: I am rereading Book XI and reflecting on what Jung calls the 'second journey' and Helen Luke writes so well about in "Old Age". So, perhaps, I do 'invoke' the shade of the wily old fox of Ithaca.[/SIZE]

I'm not sure who Helen Luke is, but I love the Homer! Interesting that, after all the travels and adventures, it's the return to 'home' and married life that is the departure for another round of adventure/s.

Cicero also articulates wisdom about ageing:

http://www.bartleby.com/9/2/

I'm not fond of this particular translation, but still quite useful.

Peace
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Hey! Quest! You're back! Long, long time no see, man!

Did you get married? I forget what the date was at the moment.

Very good to see you, friend!

Be well.

Brigid
    edited July 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    BF,
    Is that where my Godzilla statue went? I sure miss it!

No... I don't know where your Godzilla "statue" went.

Simon said he saw it next to your:

GI Joe "statue"
    Mr Potato Head "statue"
    Ken "statue"
    Malibu Barbie "statue"
    and your Cabbage Patch "statue"

He just didn't have to heart to mess up all your "statues"...

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    Thank you ZM and Palzang...that is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Wonderful!
  • edited July 2006
    Palzang...this is where you are, correct?

http://www.kpc-sedona.org/index.html
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hey! Quest!...Did you get married?

Hey, Brigid and all. My partner and I did tie the knot. Yes, I'm sort of 'back'--I'm helping put on a workshop that keeps me jumping for the next few days. I've been able to steal onto the site and poke around a bit. My trothed put some pics on the web, if you'd like to see them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/solstice_wedding/. It was a grand event. I wish you all could have poked your heads in!

More from me later!

Peace,
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yup, that's it, YM. We have several websites. The main one is www.tara.org, and then Sedona has that one.

Palzang
  • edited July 2006
    I am enjoying the "Free Teachings" on the Sedona website. :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I do not have a Malibu "barbie" statue. She has it all and I hate her for it!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I am enjoying the "Free Teachings" on the Sedona website. :)

We plan on doing a lot more soon, including live teachings and recorded teachings you can listen to.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Off topic for a second:

Quest, beautiful photos! You and your wife looked gorgeous and her dress was KILLER! The flowers were stunning, hot pink gerberas in the centerpieces, fabulous, and her calla lillies were perfect for her dress. I especially love the photo of you and her standing on your chairs kissing. I'm so happy for both of you! Congratulations and I wish you both great peace and joy throughout your lives.
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited August 2006
    I too could have asked this same question!
    As far as rituals, I have few and even they are pretty much hand-picked. I have what I think is a beautiful, suitable home altar before which I meditate and pray. It is Soto Zen which I feel the strongest attraction but my altar is probably NOT the norm for a Zen practitioner. I have a 13" Buddha with two antique and ornate brass vases from Japan filled with simple arrangements of "atrificial" flowers. Before the vases on either side is a small framed photo of each of the two Tibetan Refugee Monks I sponsor in India and directly before Buddha is a small Tibetan copper and brass offering bowl that I use for incense. The incense I use is called Nag Champa and smells soothing despite being a cheap version sold in pkg's of 20 sticks for 88 cents at....dare I utter the name of Wal-mart?
    I simply place my hands together and bow deeply & slowly once and take a seat at my Japanese wooden bench (I have severe neuropathy in my feet and legs that prevents me from sitting on the floor). I light a few sticks of incense and begin to meditate, sometimes guided by a CD by S.N. Goenka, sometimes silently. Thats about it for ritual in my daily practice.
  • edited August 2006
    Your alter sounds lovely.
    edited August 2006
    Thank You InTheDharma, I forgot to mention possibly the most attractive part of my altar, an element which ties it all together. This is the fact that the covering, except at holidays is covered by a simple, sinely woven bamboo mat. Behind the altar I hung a woven sea grass mat from floor to ceiling and continues the natural beige color theme of the bamboo all the way to the ceiling and then...in the center ofthe sea grass mat, centered behind Buddha is a lovely 80 year old Japanese hand painted silk scroll 5ft in length titled "Journey to Eternal Paradise" showing at the top, a beautiful village nestled in the fog at the summit of mountains. As you follow the scroll downwards it leads through lush landscape with waterfalls and a lake to the very bottom where a man with a walking stick has just begun to embark upon the trail upwards. The colors are somehow vibrant yet muted, possibly from age. All of these items came from eBay Japan and were very affordable not to mention unique and beautiful.
  • edited August 2006
    I agree...your altar sounds beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us.
  • edited August 2006
    I have looked at some of the stuff offered on e-bay.........very cool and yes affordable.

Your alter really does sound just beautiful................
    edited September 2006
    Dear Readers, If interested in assembling your own altar, shrine, Butsudan, whatever....a great place to look is eBay! Use the search words: buddhist altar, buddhist shrine, japanese altar and the like and you will find many items, mostly used and with nice age to them. Most of the items are offered by sellers located in Japan and are very reasonably priced. Just keep an eye on the shipping charges. You can use this same form to locate wonderful, REAL older scrolls for sale from Japan. Many are just decorative but many also have Buddhist themes and are very affordable (ie) $5+ in used condition. Be sure to check about condition as most will have a very minor stain or two. . A source of cheap "fake" Nag Champa incense is Wal-Mart...25 sticks for 89 cents!