Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advice on choosing a sangha

cjpcjp
edited July 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone. I'm a newcommer to Buddhism in general, and I've been reading lots of books, and lots of posts here for some time. There is a LOT to learn, and I'm at the point where I would like some real-world guidence in order to solidify my practice.

My problem is that I don't want to start off on the "wrong path" if there even is such a thing. I'm afraid that I'll find a meditation center and they'll be teaching some kind of new-age astral projection spirit-world kinda stuff (I already called such a center). I'm not trying to speak ill of such places, it's just that I'm looking for something a little more traditionally Buddhist.

I was initially attracted to Zen Buddhism, but most of the resources here where I live (books, societies, etc) focus on Vipassana meditation. As a result, that's what I've been reading most about. What is the difference between Zen meditation and Vipassana meditation, anyway?

I also found this Dhamma Center on the web. It's a 45 minute drive from Tampa, where I live, and they meet every other sunday or so. Do you all think that this will be a good place to study?
http://www.bodhitreefla.org/

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for always being here!
-Chris

Comments

• cjpcjp
    edited July 2006
    Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. Clearwater is also pretty close to me, and they seem very beginner-friendly.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I know nothing about the Tampa area but I would be somewhat cautious about the link that you posted. There is no indication of lineage or details of the organisers. It may, of course, be perfectly respectable, honest and humble.
  • edited July 2006
    They're Sanbo Kyodan I believe.
  • cjpcjp
    edited July 2006
    ... so that means they're respectable, honest and humble, right? :)

Forgive me, I know nothing of lineages.

Edit: Nothing that Google couldn't tell me, anyways...
  • edited July 2006
    Nope, it means they're Sanbo Kyodan. :)
    edited July 2006
    Have you read any of Fr/Roshi Enomiya-Lassalle's work, ZM?
  • edited July 2006
    I've read his, "The Practice of Zen Meditation" Simon, but it was some years ago.
    edited July 2006
    I asked because I hadn't come across him before and have no idea if he is worth reading. Not entirely surprising that a Jesuit who had served under Fr Arrupe as Provincial in Japan right through the war and the atomic holocaust should have come to Zen - as did Fr Arrupe himself! It is heartening to know that other Christians have found no contradiction between their faith and Buddhism.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Nope, it means they're Sanbo Kyodan. :)

Whatever that is...

cjp, I would suggest getting a list and simply checking them out by visiting and see if any of them float your boat (so to speak). If none of them do, keep looking. That's about the only way to do it, really.

Palzang
  • edited July 2006
    Sanbo Kyodan is a mostly lay Zen tradition, making use of both Koan practice and Just Sitting, that comes through the lineage of Harada and Yasutani Roshi.
  • cjpcjp
    edited July 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I was scared for a second there that I had asked a silly question.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    cjp wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I was scared for a second there that I had asked a silly question.

No such thing.

Palzang
    edited July 2006
    Palzang wrote:

No such thing.

Palzang

Mind you, there is an infinite number of bloody silly answers!
  • edited July 2006
    LMAO!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    Too true Simon, and i for one am a practised Master at some of those..... But life's too short for 'sensible' all the time....!:type: :D