Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Buddhist monastery open to new people

KeyouseKeyouse Explorer
edited December 2012 in Sanghas
Hello there and thank you for taking a look at my post! I am wanting to live at a monastery in which I can exchange my work and dedication to the dharma, for living and food. My only preferences are that it is in the USA and that it is the Mahayana tradition, although please post any monastery!

Thank you and peace to you.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Are you aware that most monasteries in the US have long waiting lists, as long as 2 years, for some? I don't know about this one, you could contact them and see: www.upaya.org It's a Zen center open to the public, but it has a monastic program, too. The roshi is female.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    So you want to be a long term resident then?

Go to www.buddhanet.net and look up the world Buddhist directory.. Or just google it, should be a help for you.

You first said just Mahayana but then said post any. If you are near west Virginia you may check out www.bhavanasociety.com, it is Theravada though.
  • http://www.detroitzencenter.org/
    in michigan umm you have to apply to stay in their monastary seems like their website has changed a bit since i last saw but they had a dharma exchange education program that taught you while you worked ie doing construction and they used to have a cafe but it closed last year :'( and on their new website idk if they are still offering the same stuff or if its changed but yeah this place is wonderful
  • Thank you all for your responses and time!
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Did you find a monastery yet? Here's many of the ones in the USA.
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=2
    Keyouse said:

Thank you all for your responses and time!

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Detroit Zen Center is just a few miles from where @Lincoln and I live :)